Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you do when you encounter a game-breaking bug?

If you have ever had the misfortune of encountering an actual game-breaking bug, what has been your response?

Do you go online to troubleshoot the bug and see if there is any possible way to fix it and proceed as normal? Do you try playing again from a prior save point and hope it doesn’t happen twice? If the only option is to go back to the beginning and try again, do you bother? Or do you give up? Do you request a refund? 

I thought I’d hit a game-breaking bug in the BioShock Infinite DLC Burial at Sea the other night, but luckily going back to the previous checkpoint and replaying it, it didn’t happen again. I read there was another one further on which—worse—involved an auto-save, but I managed to avoid it altogether by foregoing backtracking to get some loot.

One game which does have a game-breaking bug for me is Fallout New Vegas on PS3. As my save file grows, areas start getting glitchy, skipping frames and freezing to the point where game play literally just stops. I’ve been dealing with this by accepting that I’ll never have a “complete” playthrough with everything I want to do, and just doing lots of smaller mini-playthroughs where I focus on one thing or another. The glitching is nerve-wracking, but it’s just too awesome a game to not play.

@kingpotato @killamch89 @Alyxx @The Blackangel @skyfire @Aerielle del Rosario @Executor Akamia @DylanC

I usually just reload from an earlier point and hope that fixes it. I also highly recommend getting New Vegas on PC cause the mods available just makes it so much more enjoyable to play.

Edited by Alyxx

Just now, StaceyPowers said:

what are your favorite mods?

The ones I always use are the ones that enable the game to utilize more than the usual RAM it uses so it can take full advantage of more powerful systems without crashing. I also love mods that just fix most of the bugs in the game and makes it run better on modern systems. There's also a bunch of cosmetic mods that enhance the in-game models.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I usually just reload from an earlier point and hope that fixes it. I also highly recommend getting New Vegas on PC cause the mods available just makes it so much more enjoyable to play.

I use mods for Fallout 4 as well because the original game is full of some pretty awful gameplay bugs as well. Matter of fact, so is Skyrim.

To deal with game-breaking bugs I'd revert to an earlier save and see if the fixes it. If not, I'll hit up the internet to see if I find any solutions - I hate using cheats so that is kind of a last resort. If modding is the only way to fix the issue outside of cheats, I'll just have to learn some more modding.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I use mods for Fallout 4 as well because the original game is full of some pretty awful gameplay bugs as well. Matter of fact, so is Skyrim.

Yeah same. That's generally why Bethesda games are better on PC.

It is true Bethesda games are better on PC, but for guys like me that have the game on a console it can be a game breaking bug (damn you master race)
For example I have never completed the guild of thieves quest in Skyrim because one of the quests would not appear at all in my map because of the bug, I repurchased the game this year with the legendary collection and supposedly the bug is fixed in this version but I havent got to that part of the story yet.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

It is true Bethesda games are better on PC, but for guys like me that have the game on a console it can be a game breaking bug (damn you master race)
For example I have never completed the guild of thieves quest in Skyrim because one of the quests would not appear at all in my map because of the bug, I repurchased the game this year with the legendary collection and supposedly the bug is fixed in this version but I havent got to that part of the story yet.

Yeah console gamers are kinda screwed in that regard. But you're not safe from gamebreaking bugs on PC either. The PC exclusive Bombshell for instance had multiple gamebreaking bugs on release and even after several patches I ran into a bug that softlocked me entirely from progressing until I reloaded my save.

12 hours ago, kingpotato said:

As I have told many people, it is the modding community that makes Bethesda's games playable at all. just look at Fallout 76 when the modding community isn't there to fix the bugs - it tanked hard. Bethesda themselves cannot make a proper game nowadays and that is why I am worried about the next Elder Scrolls game.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

As I have told many people, it is the modding community that makes Bethesda's games playable at all. just look at Fallout 76 when the modding community isn't there to fix the bugs - it tanked hard. Bethesda themselves cannot make a proper game nowadays and that is why I am worried about the next Elder Scrolls game.

Fallout 76 was worse than even their vanilla games too. If any game needed community fixes it would be that one. Bethesda just kinda hates modders for some reason though even though they're the reason their games sell so well to begin with.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

I have currently experienced this with the Call of Duty mobile android version. It respawns on original position after walking. too much of this bug affecting my gameplay. 

Dunno why you'd wanna play Call of duty on a phone anyway. sounds horrible.

I hit one with FF8. There was a recent print of the game, but the 4th disc didn't work at all. I tried it in multiple different consoles. Several PS1, PS2, and PS3's. No luck. So I took it back and got another copy. Same thing. I returned it a total of 3 times, and none of the systems even recognized that there was even a disc in them. So I had to go to eBay and get other copies of the game for the 4th disc. The first 3 on that edition worked just fine, but there was no such thing as a 4th disc, as far as each system I tried it in.

17 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Fallout 76 was worse than even their vanilla games too. If any game needed community fixes it would be that one. Bethesda just kinda hates modders for some reason though even though they're the reason their games sell so well to begin with.

They thought they were onto something with the Creation Club but it has backfired spectacularly. I'm not sure why they hate modders either - it's one of the things that always puzzled me.