Register Now
Alexander.

Epic Games

I know that there's a lot (and I admit, somewhat justifiable) controversies over exclusivity for games and the store's lack of social and user review features, but I would say for simply buying games, It's done well by me so far. Lots of games offered for free, and good games at that, and sales are fantastic. That's especially true of the current sale. I had a £10 coupon available, so I decided to check it out. Got AC Odyssey and it's DLC at 67% off, they then through AC 3 Remastered into the deal post purchase and gave ANOTHER £10 coupon. So that over £100 worth of games and in game content for less that £18 and still have a discount to use.

Edited by Shagger

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

I know that there's a lot (and I admit, somewhat justifiable) controversies over exclusivity for games and the store's lack of social and user review features, but I would say for simply buying games, It's done well by me so far. Lots of games offered for free, and good games at that, and sales are fantastic. That's especially true of the current sale. I had a £10 coupon available, so I decided to check it out. Got AC Odyssey and it's DLC at 67% off, they then through AC 3 Remastered into the deal post purchase and gave ANOTHER £10 coupon. So that over £100 worth of games and in game content for less that £18 and still have a discount to use.

True, but It's got it's share of annoyances especially when compared to other clients.  it doesn't seem to work offline or at not as easily as Steam, GOG or even UPlay.  There is no cart which means you have to buy each item one at a time which is a pain in the ass.  I also find it difficult to navigate some of the basic functions, for example finding out where the installation folder is.  You think it would be listed under the tooltip menu for each game in your library but no!  As far as I can tell the only way to find out where anything is downloaded is to click install on another game.

@Crazycrab

I acutely found the installation folder easy to find. You can easily select a new location through the download options. I have been able to select an alternate file location for the cache files very easily. Steam's system is fine, but worse when it comes to changing download location options, but most people have got used to working with Steam and it's bullshit. EGS is actually fine and easier to use.

Edited by Shagger

12 minutes ago, Shagger said:

@Crazycrab

I actually found the installation folder easy to find. You can easily select a new location through the download options. I have been able to select an alternate file location for the cache files very easily. Steam's system is fine, but worse when it comes to changing download location options, but most people have got used to working with Steam and it's bullshit. EGS is actually fine and easier to use.

Where?  It's not in downloads, it's not in tool tip menu for any of the games and it's not in settings.  In Steam asccessing local files or moving a game to another folder or drive is a piece of piss, you just right click, properties, local files tab and there you go.

p8Z6Uoh.png

Epic doesn't seem to have of these functions, all you can do uninstall or verify and it doesnt even tell you what drive it's on.

mWQ6BSZ.png

36 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

True, but It's got it's share of annoyances especially when compared to other clients.  it doesn't seem to work offline or at not as easily as Steam, GOG or even UPlay.  There is no cart which means you have to buy each item one at a time which is a pain in the ass.  I also find it difficult to navigate some of the basic functions, for example finding out where the installation folder is.  You think it would be listed under the tooltip menu for each game in your library but no!  As far as I can tell the only way to find out where anything is downloaded is to click install on another game.

You are right about the third parties, but that's third parties. I mean Ubisoft was a nightmare to sign in to though Epic, but that's Ubisoft being the nightmare they are. You own an EGS games as much as you own them on Steam, Epic and other digital PC platforms. And even though you don't really own a game on steam, people lose their shit about it on Epic despite the same stipulations. The world wants to hate EGS because it's not the same as steam. But that doesn't mean it can't be better.

@Crazycrab Well, I gave you the chance to admit you got this wrong...

To alternate between the default download location of a EGS game and another folder, you can literally choose any other folder through the services immediate download options menu though the "Browse", and trust me it works regardless of where your previous installations are;

1101518673_epic1.thumb.PNG.4bab888147dd9fc4400b18f66a1eb626.PNG

Just hit "browse" and you could put the files literally anywhere. You can't do that on Steam without going through a certifiable nightmare. Whareas with Epic you can choose... wharever below on my SECONDLY hard drive.

egs2.PNG.844ef202adfc84f2612e974e43dcc468.PNG

You can also change the cache file local from the setting's menu. Just saying.

fuckrobert.png.8a5b73200557381ac46b4ef01bcdfaa9.png

But wait, can you transfer files from one disk drive to another even if you have already loaded them and still expect them to work? Well you can't, through Steam, not without an ass load of hassle, but you can more easily expect to do so on Epic. Just copy and paste... This is literally me moving my entire stock of "Epic" games from one drive to over through copy and paste, and they work. You @Crazycrabquite literally had to talk me through the eqivilant process on stream because it's so paranoid and had to use.

1135889110_itacualllyworks.PNG.8ba530d8e5c6fc6a491ceabfa62beaaa.PNG

I will admit I want more out of EGS, and that Steam in many was has more to offer, but denying what EGS does have to the more "simple" PC user can't be denied.

egs2.PNG

9 hours ago, Shagger said:

@Crazycrab Well, I gave you the chance to admit you got this wrong...

To alternate between the default download location of a EGS game and another folder, you can literally choose any other folder through the services immediate download options menu though the "Browse", and trust me it works regardless of where your previous installations are;

1101518673_epic1.thumb.PNG.4bab888147dd9fc4400b18f66a1eb626.PNG

Just hit "browse" and you could put the files literally anywhere. You can't do that on Steam without going through a certifiable nightmare. Whareas with Epic you can choose... wharever below on my SECONDLY hard drive.

WRONG!  As I already explained, that is the prompt when you initially try to install a game.  There is no such option for a game that is already installed.  The only way to verify the location of a current instal is to manually look for it.

egs2.PNG.844ef202adfc84f2612e974e43dcc468.PNG

But wait, can you transfer files from one disk drive to another even if you have already loaded them and still expect them to work? Well you can't, through Steam, not without an ass load of hassle, but you can more easily expect to do so on Epic. Just copy and paste... This is literally me moving my entire stock of "Epic" games from one drive to over through copy and paste, and they work. You @Crazycrabquite literally had to talk me through the eqivilant process on stream because it's so paranoid and had to use.

1135889110_itacualllyworks.PNG.8ba530d8e5c6fc6a491ceabfa62beaaa.PNG

Wrong again.  What you're doing is moving the files manually from one location to another manually outside the app.  The exact same process can easily be done through steam by moving the files and then "re-installing them" at the new location, but this can also be done in app.  Not only that but, this exact process doesn't even work with the Epic Launcher, I know because I just tried it myself.  You need to jump through a bunch of extra hoops like going into the epic manifests folder and using notepad to make edits to the appropriate files.  The issue I was trying to help you with back then was trying to make two steam folder locations on the SAME drive, which is bungling process that should be much easier than it actually is but it's not the same thing.

I'm sorry to call you out but people need know the truth if they actully want to do these kind of things with their games on this service, I'll leave a guide that goes into more detail:

https://codeinsecurity.wordpress.com/2019/11/22/moving-epic-games-store-games-without-re-installing-them/ 

Edited by Crazycrab

I haven't bought any games from the Epic Games Store but their prices look great. The GTA V premium free offer was a class touch and a great promotion for Epic Games, if they weren't already popular enough thanks to Fortnite. 

On 6/16/2020 at 8:03 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm not going near anything with Epic games involved.

I take that you stayed away from the Fortnite considering they are free through EPIC, Unlike PUBG that charges for the download. 

On 6/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm not going near anything with Epic games involved.

Why? Their best game (Fortnite) is free which is regularly updated, they release games (for example, GTA V) for free on a regular basis and their support is excellent. I don't see the problem with Epic Games.

Lately I noticed that Epic has been hosting games cheaper than steam, well the ones I’ve been interested in buying. Epic has the same refund policies, so I was starting to contemplate switching over, or at least spreading myself between two launchers , HOWEVER, somebody said that if your account is banned through epic, you lose access to your game library. IS that right?

A ban isn’t always deserved or accurate and that isn’t a risk I am willing to take considering how much money I spend on gaming. Also, apparently you can be waiting months for a response regarding these situations and they’ve had account compromises. I think I will just keep using Epic for the free games each week. Steam has been good to me and I trust steam immensely!

So do I use it? Yes but like I said only get free games they they do each week or month. Do I Play any of the games? Ummm I get them for free but only have three installed LOL