Register Now
Redschyte

8gb ram still worth?

On 5/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, Zoey79 said:

32GB is definitely going to be new normal from the 2020 onwards. And hopefully best gaming pc (hyperlink to URL removed) in 129GB to 256GB is going to be pretty good range for the future games 2021. 

bruh, why would you need all of that ram lmao, even Escape from Tarkov needs a maximum of 20 GB's and it's known to be a serious ram eater

55 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Well unless zoey is into 3D development and game development with stretching the limit for things. I don't think that much power is required. 

Honestly, I think it's more likely that Zoey is a laptop in Nigeria. I had to delete a very suspicious link from that very post. 

Yes definitely possible it could be link dropping bot. A lot of them come on forums lately. 

21 hours ago, Empire said:

I have seen gamibng servers that has over 128GB but they are big servers that are hosting maybe three game servers in one system.

Servers also have incremental HD space and the RAM.. they can increase and remove as required. 

That's funny because as a kid I remember my first computer having only 1 gb of ram 😅. Hearing you all say 8gb i the minimum and 16gb is preferred really shows how much technology has advanced over 10-15 years. 

On 5/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, lludawg said:

That's funny because as a kid I remember my first computer having only 1 gb of ram 😅. Hearing you all say 8gb i the minimum and 16gb is preferred really shows how much technology has advanced over 10-15 years. 

8gb is the small amount nowdays. 16GB is the minimum 😛 Many years ago it was 4GB as a minimum and 8gb is far gaming. Not anymore. But we have DDR5 coming, already for servers that will offer faster speeds and also can be far as 200GB if not more. 

My first PC that I had only had 512MB of ram LOL I was jumping for joy when I had 1GB.

Nowdays you do not even think off it. It's 16GB or higher. Most people that we talk about gaming goes with 32GB or 64GB

On 5/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, skyfire said:

usually windows requires minimum 12 GB to function properly

not really, it depends on what kind of usage you are into, normal regular web browsing don't need that much of ram, even on Chrome

On 5/17/2021 at 1:01 PM, skyfire said:

usually windows requires minimum 12 GB to function properly and for gaming even more so.

NO IT DOESN'T!  I already proved in my post last August with Chrome and AC Odyssey running on max settings I was using barley more than 8GB.  Why do you keep trying to spread such misinformation?  A non-gaming or productivity user could run Windows 10 with 8GB.  They can browse the internet, use Office, basic multimedia and streaming apps or even play some older games without ever pushing it.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:01 PM, skyfire said:

8GB is something the pre made laptop and the desktop companies are sselling us. usually windows requires minimum 12 GB to function properly and for gaming even more so. 

There's plenty of laptops, tablets etc that run Windows 10 with nothing like 8GB of ram, never mind 12GB. Obviously, a decent gaming computer will need more than that, but to run Windows and to use a device as a more day to day utility, 8GB would be more than sufficient. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:13 PM, Patrik said:

that's a lot, as a kid, the max i managed to get was 128mb on an old dell coming with pentium 3 LOL

You spoilt brat!  My first computer had 52mb... AFTER it was upgraded from 8mb!  It also had that original Pentium that was famous for not be able to count!

On 5/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, lludawg said:

That's funny because as a kid I remember my first computer having only 1 gb of ram 😅

Your RAM capacity was more than my hard drive!

Edited by Crazycrab

On 5/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, skyfire said:

8GB is something the pre made laptop and the desktop companies are sselling us. usually windows requires minimum 12 GB to function properly and for gaming even more so. 

Actually, Windows 10 only needs 4GB of RAM. For modern games you'll probably need something like 12GB or more - Graphic Design and whiteboard animation are 16GB. 2-d Animations are 24GB. 3-D animation and Video Editing (4K) you'll need 32GB.