Register Now
Kane99

Do games ask you to collect too much stuff?

I used to go for 100% completion percentage on some games, but lately I can't be bothered. Games like Batman Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, GTA and more have made collecting items in game a chore. I think the big culprit is Assassin's Creed. I don't know how many times I played the games in the series, but each one seems to have way too many things to collect. And I know, I don't have to actually collect everything. But, to get 100%, you usually have to. It's why I don't usually 100% most games, because they require so much grinding and searching to complete. 

Also, with Arkham Knight for example, it kind of forces you to collect the hidden riddler trophies to get the true ending. I couldn't get that ending. 

I'm just saying this, maybe don't make it a requirement to collect everything to get that last achievement or to get that last bit of story. 

What do you guys think? Do you find it annoying when there's so much stuff to collect? 

YES!!! Games are bent on making us collect too much stuff. Sometimes I'll be trucking along and wait, wonder what's over here. Let me go run around in this little freaking spot to see if anything is hidden there. Nope. Here? Nope. Back on the trail; 2 seconds later...over there? Ahh. A freaking penny??? If an alien was watching me play these games they would think humans are retarded. Fallout games and Witcher 3 make me crazy sometimes. 

Having that 6th sense capability helps in games. If they provide a map of all the collectibles, that can help. That should be an option in your settings; show loot map or no. In Assassins Creed Odyssey, you can really make the game as hard as you want it in settings. You can turn off everything on the map and explore blindly. Maybe games should have more options in the settings menu to have it very difficult if you like or easy showing all the collectible locations. Freedom of preference!!! 

PS Don't talk about my AC like that!

I don't care about achievements, when it comes to open world games like Assassins Creed in particular I complete as much of it as I want to.  I don't push myself to find every single item or complete every single task because frankly, it is to much work in most games.

I think more open world games should do what Horizon Zero Dawn did and that's actully scale things back a little, quality over quantity.  I got the platinum in that game because getting wasn't an absolute marathon test of endurance and patience.  So many other games Zelda BOTW and, as much I do love it, Assassins Creed Odyssey are bloated to ridiculous proportions.

Collecting should be a fun side quest, not a grueling requirement. For example in FF8, there are tons of side quests, all of which are obviously optional. If you don't do some of them, you don't get every GF, but that's your choice. Others net you some awesome items like a Luck-J scroll. The biggest bitch in the game as far as side quests go is the Queen Of Cards side quest. I don't even bother with that one anymore because it's next to impossible to get rid of the damn random rule.

But all of what I mentioned is optional and not pivotal to the main quest or story.

I was never a completionist. I collect as much as it feels natural during the story. If a game requires more than that, then that game is bad imo (for example dragon age inquisition, far cry new dawn etc)

As for collectibles that have no gameplay purpose, I collect the ones I accidentally bump into, but not go out of my way to find them.

These are all features to make a game seem longer than it actually is. Firstly most games don'T need to be longer in the first place like DA:I. Secondly I'd prefer a shorter but more quality experience even if a game is less than 10 hours without fetchquests and collecting garbage.

1 minute ago, skyfire said:

A lot of games on mobile have this microtransaction that can reduce your churning and demand for collecting stuff to survive in game. I think this is very bad trend in gaming lately. 

A lot of AAA publishers are doing this to, especially Ubisoft.

Something I like to do is hunt certain items in Castlevanis SOTN. I always get myself 2 Ring Of Varda, a Gods Garb, a Crissaegrim, and a Mourne Blade. They're all drop items, and sometimes take FOR FUCKING EVER to get, but are more than worth it. There's a cheat code I use to get a base luck of 99, and I know a trick to keep every item at the beginning of the game, instead of being Death's bitch. But you have to use the 99 luck cheat code if I remember correctly.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, Crazycrab said:

Yes I recently came across one of the mobile game which has like 2K for a female hero skin, and it was chiby character not even like PUBG, Fortnite or apex legneds. 

On 9/9/2020 at 4:41 AM, Crazycrab said:

Ubisoft does it for like every single game they make it seems lol. 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:40 PM, The Blackangel said:

Collecting should be a fun side quest, not a grueling requirement. For example in FF8, there are tons of side quests, all of which are obviously optional. If you don't do some of them, you don't get every GF, but that's your choice. Others net you some awesome items like a Luck-J scroll. The biggest bitch in the game as far as side quests go is the Queen Of Cards side quest. I don't even bother with that one anymore because it's next to impossible to get rid of the damn random rule.

But all of what I mentioned is optional and not pivotal to the main quest or story.

Yes exactly this. If it revolves around a side mission, I have no problem with it.

But, if it's mainly just "shoot 100 pigeons across the whole map" (GTA IV). then it gets annoying. 

In RDR2, there are things you can do that aren't in any way part of anything. For example if you talk to Pearson in camp and look at crafting with him, he needs a bunch of different perfect hides to craft you new satchels. After you get them crafted, you can finally get a last few hides and he will craft the ultimate satchel that, instead of holding 3-5 of any given item, will now hold 99 of EVERY item.

There's a very simple difference between collectibles that are fun to hunt and those that aren't.

Naughty Dog's Uncharted 4 philosophy where it serves no purpose other than a chore for vain achievement hunters.

Naughty Dog's The Last of Us philosophy where the relics are actually interesting, educate on the lore and sub-stories, and actually lead to practical in-game rewards.

I also noticed one thing. They have premium ranked matches for which they ask "pass" system. those who buy the pass or ticket get to play ranked matches. which is not fair to be honest unless we never encounter bots in match, the money is not worth  it.