Register Now
Kane99

Do you think they should take a break from open world games?

I'm kind of played out when it comes to open world games. For me, I'm just tired of all of these open world games, that don't usually change anything up. With cyberpunk 2077 coming out in just two days, it got me thinking, why not more linear games anymore these days? I could be happy with open world games, it's just that none of them seem to change the formula enough to make it interesting. And that's why I like to go for linear games, because they're right to the point, don't require you to drive to a location before starting a mission, and there's no annoying filler content that takes ages to get through. Sometimes I like a linear storyline, and I'm good. Hell, the majority of open world games, are too open, and when you finish them, they feel empty because there's nothing to do. So imo, it's sometimes kind of pointless to have a massive world, and nothing to really do in it when you beat the game. 

I feel this way about most of the Assassin Creed games, mainly because I finish the game, all the side quests, etc, and all that are left are boring collectibles. Or sometimes I even collect all of those, but then what. idk, maybe I'm just ranting for the sake of ranting lol. 

Anyway, would you like to see some more linear games coming out? 

I would love it. I have a fairly simple brain when it comes to gaming. I’m a million times better at games that send you from point A to B to C to D etc. A little exploration is fine, but a world so open, that it actually takes away from the enjoyment of the game is a serious issue. Then again, too linear is just as big an issue. Zelda OoT was mostly linear with a little bit of side quests. BigGoron Sword, Epona, gold skulltulas, weapon capacity upgrades. Then try RDR2 and everything is on steroids. It’s at times too much. There are so many options for what to do next if you want to move the game forward, that it will easily be overwhelming to someone new to the game.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Well, you mentioned Assassins Creed for a very good reason. That game needs to be respected as an open world game at its finest. And Odyssey is my favorite game by far simply for exploration. I don't even care about the story for that game. If the story was amazing, that game would be a masterpiece and completely unbeatable. You know a lot about 80's games which makes me think you are older. Those games I miss because it always constantly progresses in a story. You reach another level in another environment.

Progression is the key I think you miss. I love it too when a game progresses smoothly. God of War and Uncharted are just two good ones in a quick thought.

10 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Well, you mentioned Assassins Creed for a very good reason. That game needs to be respected as an open world game at its finest. And Odyssey is my favorite game by far simply for exploration. I don't even care about the story for that game. If the story was amazing, that game would be a masterpiece and completely unbeatable. You know a lot about 80's games which makes me think you are older. Those games I miss because it always constantly progresses in a story. You reach another level in another environment.

Progression is the key I think you miss. I love it too when a game progresses smoothly. God of War and Uncharted are just two good ones in a quick thought.

If you're talking to me there, then yes, you're right. My first system was the Colecovision. The Atari 2600 came out just a few years before I was born. I grew up on Atari 2600, Colecovision, and NES. All I played were late 70's or early-mid 80's games as a kid, because that's what I grew up with. And I remember the Atari 2600 being revolutionary in home entertainment. They laid the groundwork for video games, and kept the industry alive through the crash of '83.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:54 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I really dig open world games, but I definitely would love to see more high quality linear games too.

Same here! When all Linear games can reach the level of God Of War's quality or even higher, we could see more modern gamers liking those kinds of games. My reason for loving Open World games is really the exploration factor and you always seem to discover something new. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Same here! When all Linear games can reach the level of God Of War's quality or even higher, we could see more modern gamers liking those kinds of games. My reason for loving Open World games is really the exploration factor and you always seem to discover something new. 

I play open world games for a chill, relaxing experience, and I play linear games to lose myself in a story.

This has been a huge problem when it comes to open world games and it’s the entertainment loss and losing interest in getting from point A to point B. In Grand a theft Auto, it’s a blast, I love it. You can do ridiculous stunts, buy outfits, the radio is always entertaining. Outside of Grand a theft Auto and into games like Red Dead Redemption, Horizon, and various others, all that is nearly taken away and your left with just you and nature. Open world games definitely aren’t for everyone, I think what I like about GTA is that it’s a sandbox game, and that’s an important distinction. Not every open world game is a sandbox and not every sandbox game has an open world.

I literally just play as much as I want to of a game and then just stop. Sometimes I don’t even finish the game and that’s fine for me. To this day I haven’t finished HZD or AC Origins and I’m not sure I will, but I had a ton of fun exploring their worlds and experiencing what they have to offer. The day I stopped forcing myself to get the “value” out of games is the day I started enjoying them again. So what if I just started Skyrim over for the bajillionth time? If that’s what I feel like doing I’ll feel satisfied after doing it. I’m a very “instinctual” gamer.

I'm really liking how Cyberpunk 2077 does open world. It's not too big, not too small, has a ton of fast travel options to boot. No need to collect fast travel spots. At least not yet. I feel open world should be like what CP2077 is. 

Or maybe it's just that I've had a long enough break from open world games as of late. 

2 hours ago, Empire said:

This has been a huge problem when it comes to open world games and it’s the entertainment loss and losing interest in getting from point A to point B. In Grand a theft Auto, it’s a blast, I love it. You can do ridiculous stunts, buy outfits, the radio is always entertaining. Outside of Grand a theft Auto and into games like Red Dead Redemption, Horizon, and various others, all that is nearly taken away and your left with just you and nature. Open world games definitely aren’t for everyone, I think what I like about GTA is that it’s a sandbox game, and that’s an important distinction. Not every open world game is a sandbox and not every sandbox game has an open world.

I literally just play as much as I want to of a game and then just stop. Sometimes I don’t even finish the game and that’s fine for me. To this day I haven’t finished HZD or AC Origins and I’m not sure I will, but I had a ton of fun exploring their worlds and experiencing what they have to offer. The day I stopped forcing myself to get the “value” out of games is the day I started enjoying them again. So what if I just started Skyrim over for the bajillionth time? If that’s what I feel like doing I’ll feel satisfied after doing it. I’m a very “instinctual” gamer.

Not necessarily. There are dozens of horses, hundreds of outfit combinations you can make, and a hell of a lot of guns to start. Sure, you get access to them as you progress through the story, as several are locked in the beginning, but that doesn't mean you can't kill someone and steal their guns afterwards. Not to mention stealing their horse. You can then sell the horse to a stable, but you usually get $5 or less since you don't have papers, unless the horse is a high quality breed, which is rare. The gun you can take to a gunsmith and customize everything about it. The metals, varnish, engravings, carvings, rifling, sights, literally everything. personally I recommend buying it when it becomes available, but sometimes that isn't the best option as you might need the extra power that a stolen gun can give you. You can't sell your guns, but you can store them in your foot locker at your tent in camp.

There's a world of customization, and endless options to make Arthur a reflection of yourself.

Unless you want to make him female. Then you're screwed.

😢

Edited by The Blackangel

11 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I think my top best of both worlds games are Red Dead Redemption and Fallout NV. What about for you?

RDR 2 and Skyrim - I mean Skyrim is relatively relaxing until a Dragon chooses to appear...or the courier or some weak vampires...