Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that are unfinished without their DLCs

So, I have Dragon Age Inquisition on PS3, and eventually learned that one cannot get the DLC Trespasser for that system, and the story of the game is essentially incomplete without it. This sort of thing makes me furious. How do you feel about game stories that are basically incomplete without certain DLC content?

I could never wrap my head around how people could play Dishonored 2 without having played the first game and its DLCs, The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches (the latter DLC being a direct followup to the events of the former). God bless those who can, but to me D2's main antagonist felt like she came out of nowhere and was just retreading the ground of the first game.

If that's not quite what you meant, then there's Asura's Wrath which hid the true ending behind one of its DLCs, though I struggle to recall which other games did this.

Edited by Withywarlock

DLCs coming into the gaming market has turned every new release into a partial version of their whole idea and then you gotta pay or sometimes play to unlock all the content. I hate it sometimes. They were always like adding a whole new game onto the game you already knew and loved. But a lot of content these days seems like it's just a sliver of what's fun about the game and to get into the really good stuff you gotta fork over a high percentage worth of what you pay for the main game just to use what should have been there since the beginning.

So games that are not finished and yet pay for DLCs just to get what you are missing or unfinished is a no no for me. Rather have finished game and with new content DLCs becoming available 😉

The worst example of this I've seen has to be the Broken Steel DLC from Fallout 3. Without this DLC, the game literally just stops. Ends. Just like that, with the main story only half told. The "ending" also happens without warning, so if you still have side missions and other stuff to, pray you have save file before starting the last main story quest available, otherwise that's you'll have to start all over again. I hated that, especially in an open world RPG.

Or like when a studio has to make a new ending because the ending to a trilogy didn't go the way fans wanted. In case you're wondering, I'm referring to the ending of Mass Effect 3. Fans weren't' happy, and they ended up making a free DLC to end it differently. 

For any games that have DLC that continues the story, they should patch that ending in eventually so that when those DLC's get removed, an update to the game would just give it to everyone. More studios should do this if they ever expect their DLC to be removed. 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:19 PM, Shagger said:

The worst example of this I've seen has to be the Broken Steel DLC from Fallout 3. Without this DLC, the game literally just stops. Ends. Just like that, with the main story only half told. The "ending" also happens without warning, so if you still have side missions and other stuff to, pray you have save file before starting the last main story quest available, otherwise that's you'll have to start all over again. I hated that, especially in an open world RPG.

How'd I forget about this?! It's probably because I don't Fallout 3 nearly as much as Fallout 4. 

On 12/24/2020 at 2:09 AM, killamch89 said:

It's a scummy move quite frankly and that is typical of EA. It's a tactic to let you fork out extra for the DLC. DLCs are supposed to be additions to the game but you should still be able to finish the main story.

Seriously, it's something that is very common with EA or Ubisoft. They basically do it on purpose because they know how much they are going to push gamers to pay up for it. They are just a bunch of greedy companies.