Register Now
StaceyPowers

Monogamy in games

I don't know of many games that have romance options period, but I do know that both Mass Effect and Dragon Age offer multiple options. 

Cyberpunk offers 4 possible LIs, but it's based on gender / orientation, so it's not a real choice, more like a given based on your character.

Seen romantic relationships in GTA 🙂cutscenes and also in role playing you act and role play in getting in love and marriage. But that's not a real deal game I'm talking about here isn't it?  But you can put your mind into it and make whatever you want into the games. It's not my kind of games that has romantic relationships in it, not for me.

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Anyone else find games to be overly monogamous?

I don't think so, no. I get the appeal of having to manage multiple relationships; there's clearly enough of a demand for it to appear in three Fable games for instance, as in games such as that you can romance any NPC and stay with them so long as your many partners don't know about one-another. The problem is those NPCs have all the depth and flavour of a Jacobs cracker. Unless the game files were to balloon and myriad bugs and glitches appear, these NPCs can't be any more than that.

I suppose in a game with tighter knit romances and more developed NPCs you could have polygamy, but this again introduces even greater errors that can occur simply by virtue of having more code. I also find that many games have terrible romantic writing to begin with, so trying to convincingly write polygamy into the game as well will prove difficult.

With all that said, I'm not against polygamy whether it be well done or as silly as Peter Molyneux's Pat Mustard Simulator. If you want to put your massive tool in multiple people's boxes, more power to you. ^^

Edited by Withywarlock

Fallout 4 lets you romance as many companions as you want. Granted, the actual content within those romances is basically nonexistent, but still.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, The Blackangel said:

I’ve seen romantic relationships in countless games, but I can’t think of any that really offered more than those same two options. It was always either get married, or go your separate ways.

I remember having this exact same thought when I was trying to romance Iron Bull in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It starts out as just a casual fling, but eventually there comes a point in the story where you are given the option to either A) "upgrade" to a romantic relationship with him, or B) end the relationship. There's literally no option to just stay friends with benefits. And it wasn't even like the character was saying, "Date me or leave," the *game* was forcing the choice upon you. Apparently nobody just has long-term casual hookups in Thedas.

It's been that way in most games since the beginning of time and I like to have options lol. Do you know how annoying it is to hear your in-game love interest spit out the same lines EVERY TIME you're playing. It drives you mad I tells ya! I have to keep reminding myself that you have to be better than OJ Simpson...

On 1/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, killamch89 said:

It's been that way in most games since the beginning of time and I like to have options lol. Do you know how annoying it is to hear your in-game love interest spit out the same lines EVERY TIME you're playing. It drives you mad I tells ya! I have to keep reminding myself that you have to be better than OJ Simpson...

Exactly, it's far more better to have more options in the relationship set up with some characters when the game involves romance. At least, you don't get to be forced into one act that you wouldn't be comfortable with in the end. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Exactly, it's far more better to have more options in the relationship set up with some characters when the game involves romance. At least, you don't get to be forced into one act that you wouldn't be comfortable with in the end. 

Yeah - it just makes the game a whole lot more enjoyable. Can you imagine playing a game without options where you're forced to do everything the creators want you to do? Would you really enjoy it?

On 8/21/2021 at 1:12 AM, killamch89 said:

Yeah - it just makes the game a whole lot more enjoyable. Can you imagine playing a game without options where you're forced to do everything the creators want you to do? Would you really enjoy it?

Seriously, it's very annoying and personal, I wouldn't play that kind of video games for longer periods of time.