Register Now
StaceyPowers

Would an Obsidian Fallout game today be as good as New Vegas was?

I mean, it could be. I'm sure there are still some team members there, as they also did the Outer Worlds game, which was heavily inspired by Fallout New Vegas, it was essentially their new Fallout. So their skills and ideas are still there. 

Now that MS owns both Obsidian and Bethesda, they could probably team up for a new Fallout game even. 

Yes and no. I think Josh Sawyer's a great worldbuilder but not as good a narrator; I think Chris Avellone's a great narrator but not as good a worldbuilder. Without either, you don't have a good fictional story, and now Avellone's no longer with them (and given the accusations against him, might not be with anyone for a good long while), I doubt another Fallout game by Obsidian's going to be all that good.

There's an argument to be made that with a greater budget and other resources Obsidian can make good games. There's an argument to be made for their games being more charming because of the lack of the budget and other resources. Pillars of Eternity is a boring game in and of itself, but its impact on how video games are published and pitched is incredible - before them only Tim Schafer and his Double Fine team had any real success. I think the same of some of the developers they consist of, with former Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines studio Troika, and former Fallout CRPG devs of Black Isle having now being part of the studio. Winning despite the elements against them is part of their DNA. Their job security granted to them by Microsoft is good for the people, but not the brand itself.

They can't do a worse job than Bethesda, let's put it that way.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, Withywarlock said:

They can't do a worse job than Bethesda, let's put it that way.

Bethesda owes the modding community for its success because most of their original games were somewhat buggy and lackluster. It was the modding community that made them classics. You see the one time they have to make and maintain a game without the modding community's help, how much it sucked - Fallout 76 (It's like the black sheep of the family).

42 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

The new Vegas Fallout- 2 satisfied me alot, I don't bother much if Fallout dev gave it up for obsidian to develop or not, all that matters is the game quality. 

What the hell are you talking about?  New vegas 2 hasnt come out , thats what I put on my previus comment that its in talks for devolopment 

29 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

What the hell are you talking about?  New vegas 2 hasnt come out , thats what I put on my previus comment that its in talks for devolopment 

I meant to say Fallout 'New Vegas, and not the edition II that isn't released yet. It was simply typo, I never intended to put 2 in the comment.