Register Now
StaceyPowers

Walking in games

@m76 mentioned actually walking (as opposed to running) in some video games where it makes sense for immersion's sake. I have tried doing this in various games, but with only a few exceptions, I just can't. It feels like trudging through molasses. But I know someone else offline who walks a lot in Skyrim. Who else walks in games?

YES!!! Walking slow does add a lot of immersion. It depends on the game though if it has good mechanics. I walk slowly a lot in Assassin's Creed games. It just adds that sense like you are there. It's awesome to do in villages and see what's going on and all the details. I even do it in the woods or just anywhere when I'm feeling like really getting into it. Sometimes even if I go on a quest some distance away, I'll walk just to add the essence of time. But when that music is playing and walk slowly with my axe dripping blood, black smoke wavering, animals and birds flittering away, breeze and leaves, grass moving as the character's hands reach out to feel it; it's always the best immersion. But a well balanced fast horsehide to go for a slaughter is great too. 

As far as Skyrim, I have decided to go with the Breton for the main reason I noticed is that the humans or whatever they are actually walk slower than the elf. I saved my character builds to check them out in game, but elves walk too fast for my immersion preference. I enjoy watching my character walk around in the environment at the nice pace I'm used to in games. 

I often walk in games that allow it. Not all the time, but sometimes it feels good to just immerse myself in the world.

Ironically I'm also the type of person who has no patience for walking in real life. I often switch to jogging when I have to walk longer distances.

I walk or ride at the slowest pace in RDR2 a lot. It's relaxing to just go out on a ride, or to take my time getting to a town. Taking in the scenery, and just a relaxing ride is one of the best things about the game. I used to do it when I was a kid. But I always rode bareback, so that makes a bit of a difference. I just didn't like saddles.

Just now, m76 said:

I often walk in games that allow it. Not all the time, but sometimes it feels good to just immerse myself in the world.

Ironically I'm also the type of person who has no patience for walking in real life. I often switch to jogging when I have to walk longer distances.

Back when I could walk, I HATED walking. I wanted another way to get around, and I didn't care what it was. Now I would give my arms to be able to walk.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

Back when I could walk, I HATED walking. I wanted another way to get around, and I didn't care what it was. Now I would give my arms to be able to walk.

It's not that I hate walking. I hate walking as a means to get around. I feel like I'm wasting time. So I always go by car or bicycle everywhere. I hate public transport for the same reason, the wait for connections kills me. Combined with my strong dislike of big crowds I often can't even get on the first bus if there are too many people on it.

I think running around everywhere and looking this way and that moving the camera around everywhere is what causes headaches. One of the things I really like in Assassin's Creed games is when the bird lands on your shoulder when in idle. That in itself motivates you to stop and take things in. Slow down. But that is what the game is designed for. My best immersions is when I walk slow. And everything looks dramatically real. And it's that certain type of music too. Some games have fast chaotic music that makes you want to run around excitedly. Other music makes you feel like taking it slow. And there is something about being in 3rd person dressed in that gear that just adds to it. Ghost of Tsushima is a great game to take it slow also. I have to remind myself, that the weather may change but time is on my hands. Nothing is forcing me to run around like a mad man.