Register Now
Euronymous53

What are the most important things in a game?

First and foremost, welcome to VGR.

The most important thing for me is what I call the empowerment factor. Video games need to transport you to a place where you are more than what you are. There are many ways a game can do this. Through the character you play as, story, environment building and exploration, but the basic gameplay is what matters most. That's the players connection to the game, to the otherwise unattainable power that the game is supposed to offer you. If the game controls like shit or the user interface isn't up to snuff, all else is irrelevant really.

Edited by Shagger

41 minutes ago, Shagger said:

First and foremost, welcome to VGR.

The most important thing for me if what I call the empowerment factor. Video games need to transport you to a place where you are more than what you are. There are many ways a game can do this. Through the character you play as, story, environment building and exploration, but the basic gameplay is what matters most. That's the players connection to the game, to the otherwise unattainable power that the game is supposed to offer you. If the game controls like shit or the user interface isn't up to snuff, all else is irrelevant really.

Oh thanks, i love this forum. And respect of what you said, oh man... i remember my first time playing Assassin's Creed II, where the controls are not so horrible, but why do i have to run with right click and memorize each symbol for each action!? Anyways, i got used to. However, the saving mecanich of the majority AC games is a shit. The games don't allow to you to save wherever you are. I hate that. I was like 2 hours playing Black Flag and when i opened again the game, SURPRISE, 0 progress. I uninstalled it.

I'm in love with Assassin's Creed anyways.

An emotional connection to the character you play as, if we're talking about current gen games. If I feel no emotional connection to my character, I get bored quickly. It's part of the reason Skyrim and Witcher 3 never got their hooks into me. No emotional connection.

If we're talking about classic games (my bread and butter) then there's not going to be an emotional connection. So story and plot are paramount. It has to have an engaging story. But that's true for any game regardless of when it was made. You have to be drawn into the game. To lose yourself in that world. Otherwise, it's pointless for one to be playing it.

35 minutes ago, Euronymous53 said:

Oh thanks, i love this forum. And respect of what you said, oh man... i remember my first time playing Assassin's Creed II, where the controls are not so horrible, but why do i have to run with right click and memorize each symbol for each action!? Anyways, i got used to. However, the saving mecanich of the majority AC games is a shit. The games don't allow to you to save wherever you are. I hate that. I was like 2 hours playing Black Flag and when i opened again the game, SURPRISE, 0 progress. I uninstalled it.

I'm in love with Assassin's Creed anyways.

How's it going? I'm a big fan of Assassin's Creed games. I've got 6 of their games on my console. They changed the save feature where you can manually save it at any time in Odyssey and Valhalla. 

A game needs to be user friendly up front. There are great games out there that I don't really enjoy as much because I don't feel I can jump right in and just play. Exploration and scenery is very important to catch my interest. Next for me is story. But the scenery and story kind of go hand in hand. Imagine a comic book with little lousy pictures. 

55 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

How's it going? I'm a big fan of Assassin's Creed games. I've got 6 of their games on my console. They changed the save feature where you can manually save it at any time in Odyssey and Valhalla. 

A game needs to be user friendly up front. There are great games out there that I don't really enjoy as much because I don't feel I can jump right in and just play. Exploration and scenery is very important to catch my interest. Next for me is story. But the scenery and story kind of go hand in hand. Imagine a comic book with little lousy pictures. 

Fully agree, I really like the environment and historic context in each AC game, that's one of the reasons it is my favorite saga (AC, like you probably now, has more unic and magnific aspects, but that is another subject). And if the saga didn't have that aspect so well designed, it probably wouldn't be as good as it is.

I've recently finished Odyssey and the second one, I'm in process of finishing the first one and i'll install Syndicate. I exagerated, I really want to play Black Flag, but I uninstalled it 'cause I didn't have time for it and fell in love with other games (but, yeah, it did frustrate me that the game didn't save the session).

1 hour ago, Euronymous53 said:

Fully agree, I really like the environment and historic context in each AC game, that's one of the reasons it is my favorite saga (AC, like you probably now, has more unic and magnific aspects, but that is another subject). And if the saga didn't have that aspect so well designed, it probably wouldn't be as good as it is.

I've recently finished Odyssey and the second one, I'm in process of finishing the first one and i'll install Syndicate. I exagerated, I really want to play Black Flag, but I uninstalled it 'cause I didn't have time for it and fell in love with other games (but, yeah, it did frustrate me that the game didn't save the session).

I’ve got like 400 hours in Odyssey and still got half the map left. Trying to finish AC2 and Black Flag. Syndicate is pretty good. I like the London atmosphere. And I also have Origins and Valhalla I’ve been playing which are bad ass. I don’t have Unity or AC1. I really want Unity though. I just think about which location I want to explore and play that game. 

The most important thing is player engagement. How can you engage the player? how can you keep them engaged? how can you make sure your game can catch a players attention and make them want to keep playing and get their friends to play too?

If the game can manage to engage and entertain the player it will be successful for a long time. There are many ways to engage the player like interesting and high quality art, unique and diverse sound effects, or original and creative game-play mechanics.

To play smooth if it's an multiplayer game, if it is a single player game to not be boring. Other than that graphics can be bad, but the game still can be fun, sound can be bad but the game still can be great, but if it's lagging or too boring it's gonna be trash.

4 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I agree Shole.  The graphics don't have to be that great, so long as I feel like I'm in the universe of the game for a while.

You reminded me the game I played in my childhood, Contra force. The game was not that good in graphics, but gameplay was good. 😊

But situation has changed these days, people first look out for graphics and environment first. Gameplay and controls come afterwards. 😌

17 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I agree Shole.  The graphics don't have to be that great, so long as I feel like I'm in the universe of the game for a while.

Yup, RimWorld, Crusader Kings 2, hell even Dwarf Fortress are some prime examples of the graphics not being good.

13 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

You reminded me the game I played in my childhood, Contra force. The game was not that good in graphics, but gameplay was good. 😊

But situation has changed these days, people first look out for graphics and environment first. Gameplay and controls come afterwards. 😌

True they always look for something stunning and then complain when it's buggy and laggy.