Register Now
Crazycrab

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO "Expect More Aquisitions"

Fresh of the purchase of the original creators of Microsoft and XBox's games HALO franchise Bungie, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan has stated that we should "expect more aquisitions":

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/01/playstation-boss-jim-ryan-says-you-should-expect-more-acquisitions

So who are they going to go for?  There has been speculation about EA, but I think that's just a bit out of Sony weight class.  I think it's more likely they will aquire mid teir publisher(s).  One that I see as being a real possibility is Embracer Group, the parent company of THQ Nordic and Gearbox amount others.  Another possibility might be Namco Bandi.

Who do think Sony are going to grab up in the coming months?

All I see is the gaming industry getting gobbled up by corporations. We shouldn't be asking who gets bought up next, we should be asking how to stop it. It's out of our hands, but maybe putting some bitching effort into it like we do NFT's may help for something. Cause it sucks to see the free market get eaten up before my eyes. The world is definitely changing and not for the better. And what we see in the gaming industry is a clear reflection of it. Microsoft is the big demon here because they started this controversial purchase with Activision in direct relation to the Federal Trade Commission discussing new antitrust laws. So their big acquisition triggered Sony to acquire assets of their own, which is now a domino effect. So I hope the FTC and DOJ puts an end to this. 

I agree with Embracer Group - they do still have some iconic titles or maybe Sony goes after Konami because a lot of iconic PlayStation IPs  belong to them such as Metal Gear and Silent Hill. I hope at some point, somebody intervenes because two or three companies owning all the game studios spell bad news for the industry on a hold. There'll be less competition which will lead to more sleazy practices.

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

So now, Microsoft gave them all a wake up call into an all out buy out action. 

They are definitely going to panic buy in some cases if they are not careful. 

Yeah, I expect to see some good purchases, but I do think Microsoft picked up the spicier ones.

25 minutes ago, Techno said:

Yeah, I expect to see some good purchases, but I do think Microsoft picked up the spicier ones.

Of course yes, it was a sweet deal every other company would have been willing to scoop up but Microsoft was way faster. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, killamch89 said:

I agree with Embracer Group - they do still have some iconic titles or maybe Sony goes after Konami because a lot of iconic PlayStation IPs  belong to them such as Metal Gear and Silent Hill. I hope at some point, somebody intervenes because two or three companies owning all the game studios spell bad news for the industry on a hold. There'll be less competition which will lead to more sleazy practices.

I highly doubt if Konami would be willing to sell but when offered the right amount of money, they might consider. But the question is who's going to offer something crazy? 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

If Konami would have sold, they would have done it a very long time ago or maybe they haven't received the right offer yet? 

While they are still being valued by the market Cap at $6 billion dollars, they just might sell if they get anything from $30 billion upwards. 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, Boblee said:

While they are still being valued by the market Cap at $6 billion dollars, they just might sell if they get anything from $30 billion upwards. 

I don't see that happening at all because they have a lot to lose should they sell and I don't think any company would be buying something close to the $70 billion Microsoft paid for Activision-Blizzard. 

On 2/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, Techno said:

Yeah, I expect to see some good purchases, but I do think Microsoft picked up the spicier ones

To be very clear on that, Microsoft pulled off a major steal getting Activision-Blizzard. It's going to take Sony at least 10 new purchases to meet up with what Microsoft got in Activision-Blizzard. 

9 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

The Bungie acquisition remains their latest, their is no new marque acquisition after that sibde then from Sony, but i know something is cooking up, we might see surprises in the future. 

There has been a couple of smaller acquisitions since then.  Like Haven Studios, who have worked on some big AAA games as an outsourced contractor. Including Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider and EA Star Wars Battlefront.

I expect that there will be bigger acquisitions coming.