Register Now
Justin11

Define your saddest moment watching your favorite sports game?

Everything doesn't end as glorious moments, we also have sad moments in any competition or event we found ourselves engaged. I've been a sports lover since my childhood, most especially around soccer. 

I share both my epic and saddest moments in football, but this time I have to pick out one sad moment in my whole life watching football. 

I wouldn't forget the very day Barcelona lost a semi final match contest against Chelsea FC at camp Nou stadium during the 2011/2012 UCL season. Many expected that, it will be an easy win for Barca, but It didn't turn out to be. It was one of those days where a David  slayed a Goiath, Chelsea did it and they slayed Barca badly, and I got deeply upset. I wished Barca an easy victory that very day, especially when they scored two early goals, I thought the stage was set for goal gallow, not knowing it will end so disappointing. 

The goal scored by Fernando Torres at the last gasps minute that ensured the scoreline  at 2-2 and (2-3) on agg, pained me to the bone, it was indeed a solo goal, explicitly taken by Torres as he dribbled past Barca goalie 'V. Valdez. That Lionel Messi's missed penalty pained me the more, I expected the football maestro to score from there to end any hope Chelsea got in the match, but he failed on his attempt and pounced on the woodwork .  I had a terrible nightmare that very day, I was thinking about what my friends gonna say to me, after telling them Barca will win the match easily against Chelsea. 

Share your saddest moment watching your favourite sport game.

Edited by Justin11

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Honestly, it was the Denmark match at the Euros last year when Ericksen collapsed on the field and nearly died, It was shocking - I'm glad he survived.

Buddy it was a shocker indeed, I couldn't remember such scene anymore if not that you brought it up again. I felt sad seeing such incident in a match I was very much enjoying. I felt happy again when he was rescued. 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:28 AM, Justin11 said:

Buddy it was a shocker indeed, I couldn't remember such scene anymore if not that you brought it up again. I felt sad seeing such incident in a match I was very much enjoying. I felt happy again when he was rescued. 

Yeah and it's funny because I didn't even like him that much due to him playing for a rival team but at the end of the day, we're all humans and some things will always transcend rivalries.

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah and it's funny because I didn't even like him that much due to him playing for a rival team but at the end of the day, we're all humans and some things will always transcend rivalries.

Oh, you fancied the opposition team to beat his own national team? That's funny, it's football for us, but when something strange occurs I usually feel the sad part cos I'm a human with emotion. 

8th grade basketball.

My team was up 1 point with 0.1 second left. The other team had the ball under our basket, so they had a small chance. And by small chance, I mean the only way for them to score is to lob the ball up at the hoop and one of these kids is going to barely touch the ball, right? You cannot legitimately score a jumpshot with 0.1 seconds left.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, Empire said:

8th grade basketball.

My team was up 1 point with 0.1 second left. The other team had the ball under our basket, so they had a small chance. And by small chance, I mean the only way for them to score is to lob the ball up at the hoop and one of these kids is going to barely touch the ball, right? You cannot legitimately score a jumpshot with 0.1 seconds left.

So, are you trying to say, the player scored with 0.1 second remaining in the stopwatch? Hmm, how did that happen, such is tagged magical moments, in football it's heartbreaking goal at the last gasps. 

2 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

May 1st 1994, F1 grand prix of San marino seeing as an 8 year old, ayrton senna crash live on tv only to hear a few hours later he died in the hospital of his injuries.

I am not an F1 lover in real life, even if I play lots of F1 games. But your comment is touching, I felt bad seeing the sad 1994 story, about the passing away of 'ayton senna due to serious body damage through accident during an F1 race. 

Every Manchester United fan will never forget how we lost the league to Manchester City in 2012 with the infamous goal at 93 minutes and 30 seconds of Aguero against QPR which clinched the win and also the league title that was already on its way to Old Trafford for the Citizens. I was so heartbroken that I hated on for years for that goal. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Every Manchester United fan will never forget how we lost the league to Manchester City in 2012 with the infamous goal at 93 minutes and 30 seconds of Aguero against QPR which clinched the win and also the league title that was already on its way to Old Trafford for the Citizens. I was so heartbroken that I hated on for years for that goal. 

I am not a Manchester United fan, but  I could  remember vividly well how my friend and roommate back then was distraught because of it and he could get into a fight if you joked with him about it. Though the loss brought me much joy as an anti-fan but I felt the pain my friend was going through.lol

11 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I am not a Manchester United fan, but  I could  remember vividly well how my friend and roommate back then was distraught because of it and he could get into a fight if you joked with him about it. Though the loss brought me much joy as an anti-fan but I felt the pain my friend was going through.lol

It was a very painful season for us that's going to be very difficult to forget no matter how long it takes. Yeah, we got our consolation the next season 2013 when we won the league back from Manchester City and our dear beloved Sir Alex Ferguson retired, then started our pain till today. We have been struggling ever since. We are not even going to play in the UEFA champions league next season. It's really a big shame. 

As a Barcà fan, I'll mention two matches that inflicted more pains to me as a fan. The defeat of Chelsea during the 2011/2012 UCL semi final and the one Liverpool turned a 3-0 deficit to 4-3 on aggregate during the 2018/2019 UCL season. 

11 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

May 1st 1994, F1 grand prix of San marino seeing as an 8 year old, ayrton senna crash live on tv only to hear a few hours later he died in the hospital of his injuries.

The 1994 San Marino Grand Prix at Imola is arguably the most infamous race weekend in the of history F1, perhaps Motorsport in general.  Fatal crashes were of course nothing new in F1, for a long time they were actually fairly common.  I think what made Imola 94 so infamous was a combination of the high profile of the one of the driver's involved and the fact that there had not been a fatal incident in years.  You could even argue it become so "safe" that they were borderline complacent.

First, Rubens Barrichello was injured in a high speed crash in the first practice session.  Senna himself being one the ones that rushed to the medical center, making it there before even Barrichello's team principal Eddie Jordan.

The next day the real tragedies began.  During Qualifying Roland Ratzenberger, a driver for the new Simtek team in only his Third F1 Grand Prix Weekend lost his front wing and crashed into the barrier after going down the streight just before Villeneuve Corner at nearly 200 Mph.  He died from his injuries becoming the first driver to killed in an F1 session since Riccardo Paletti at the 1892 Canadian Grand Prix.

Despite the whole event looking increasingly cursed the race weekend continued:

There more issues pretty much from the moment the lights went out.  First JJ Lehto from P5 stalled his Benetton on the grid and ended up getting rear ended by Pedro Lamy's Lotus.  Both driver's were fine but debris from the crash flew into the grandstands injuring 9 spectators.  This brought out the safety car for 5 laps.

Then on lap 7 at Tamburello, the unthinkable happens:

There is a bit of dispute about what exactly happened and I will discuss both but first I'll go over the details that are not under dispute.  Ayrton Senna driving for Williams qualified on pole, after the earlier incidents he continued round the track until lap 7 on the exit of Tamburello Corner where he crashed into the barrier.  A piece of the suspension assembly punctured his chassis and hit his helmet rendering him unconscious.  Marshalls rushed to the scene followed shortly by the medical car and it's doctor, the late Professor Sid Watkins but there was little they could do.  Senna was air lifted to hospital but pronounced dead several hours later.

At the time Tamburello was a very fast but pretty straight forward corner.  It's not the sort of place you would expect even an amateur driver, let alone a 3 time world champion considered one the most talented to ever it to make a mistake.  It had to be some other external factor(s), and this is where the contention comes in.  It was discovered that the steering column in the Williams had snapped.  In the official report it is claimed that this broke at the impact with the wall and the cause of the crash was the floor bouncing into kerb on the inside of the corner causing the car to launch forward uncontrollably into the wall.  However, others have always insisted the steering column broke before impact, was the root cause of the crash and Williams covered it up.  I'll let you judge for yourselves:

Even after this Imola 94 wasn't quite done being Imola 94.  The race restarted then ten laps before the end Michele Alboreto's Minardi lost a wheel in the pits which rolled down injuring 4 mechanics.  A fitting end to a fucking perfect day...

RIP Roland Ratzenberger

RIP Ayrton Senna

Well if you made it through all that thank you very much for reading.

Edited by Crazycrab