Register Now
Kane99

They really should make more games where you're an animal like Stray

Stray dropped the other day and it's been making the rounds all over the web as of late. It seems people really are into it and it's getting decent reviews. With that being said, I kinda hope this brings a new trend where we see more games where we can control an animal. Yeah we have a decent amount of games with animal leads, but I feel like it's less and less these days. 

I'd love to see more games where you're a dog, a cat, a mouse even. I'll take just about anything where you're a small animal running around in a big world. Would you like to see more games like Stray come out? 

As said in a recent thread of yours, I'd nominated the developers of Stray to do a sequel to Dog's Life, a game where you play as a dog and do dog things like playing in parks, sniffing things and pooping. You also solve puzzles that will uptimately put a stop to a crazy cat lady's nefarious scheme to impound all dogs. It was a really fun collectathon that put a unique twist on things.

Stray saw the money on the table and just picked it up without any resistance in nearly 20 years. I imagine due to its greater success and coverage we'll see a lot more games like it. I hope we do.

EDIT: Just seen you quote my post in said thread. Great minds think alike!

Edited by Withywarlock

How about Endling - Extinction is Forever which came out yesterday, where you play as the last mother fox on earth and where you have to take care of your newly born whelps. I've preordered a physical copy of the game which is due to arrive tommorow, i meanly did it because i want to support smaller physical releases on the xbox platform :

here is a full desciption of the game that i just copy and pasted mind you :

experience a world ravaged by mankind through the eyes of the last fox on Earth in this eco-conscious adventure.

Discover the destructive force of the human race, as it corrupts, pollutes, and exploits the most precious and valuable resources of the natural environment day by day.

Explore various 3D side-scrolling areas and defend your tiny furballs, feed them, watch them grow up, notice their unique personalities and fears, and most importantly, help them to survive.

Use the cover of night to stealthily guide your litter towards a safer place. Spend the day resting in an improvised shelter and plan your next move carefully since it could be the last for you and your cubs.

and offcourse said launch trailer below :

it's been getting good reviews so i'm kinda curious about it.

Edited by Yaramaki

Don't they have something already with Goat Simulator? We already know how funny that was in terms of gameplay. But far from that, there are other games where you play as an animal which are more than just a simulator. 

Take for instance in Okami where you play and control a dog-like sun goddess in an action game which came out in 2008 on Playstation 2. With how popular the game became, it was spread to other systems. 

If you include insects as animals, Bug Fables is quite good. It's paper Mario like and the writing is pretty enjoyable. If you like 3d platformers I'd recommend Super New Luckys Tale. It's not the hardest game(until you try the end levels) but it's such a clean, good looking game.

Or even in GTA if you add mods 😛

On 7/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, Withywarlock said:

As said in a recent thread of yours, I'd nominated the developers of Stray to do a sequel to Dog's Life, a game where you play as a dog and do dog things like playing in parks, sniffing things and pooping. You also solve puzzles that will uptimately put a stop to a crazy cat lady's nefarious scheme to impound all dogs. It was a really fun collectathon that put a unique twist on things.

Stray saw the money on the table and just picked it up without any resistance in nearly 20 years. I imagine due to its greater success and coverage we'll see a lot more games like it. I hope we do.

EDIT: Just seen you quote my post in said thread. Great minds think alike!

I remember A Dogs Life, always meant to play it. But I think I only played the demo for it years ago. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Yaramaki said:

How about Endling - Extinction is Forever which came out yesterday, where you play as the last mother fox on earth and where you have to take care of your newly born whelps. I've preordered a physical copy of the game which is due to arrive tommorow, i meanly did it because i want to support smaller physical releases on the xbox platform :

here is a full desciption of the game that i just copy and pasted mind you :

experience a world ravaged by mankind through the eyes of the last fox on Earth in this eco-conscious adventure.

Discover the destructive force of the human race, as it corrupts, pollutes, and exploits the most precious and valuable resources of the natural environment day by day.

Explore various 3D side-scrolling areas and defend your tiny furballs, feed them, watch them grow up, notice their unique personalities and fears, and most importantly, help them to survive.

Use the cover of night to stealthily guide your litter towards a safer place. Spend the day resting in an improvised shelter and plan your next move carefully since it could be the last for you and your cubs.

and offcourse said launch trailer below :

it's been getting good reviews so i'm kinda curious about it.

Noice, I'll have to check it out. Trailer doesn't really tell me much about the gameplay. Is there a gameplay trailer? 

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

Don't they have something already with Goat Simulator? We already know how funny that was in terms of gameplay. But far from that, there are other games where you play as an animal which are more than just a simulator. 

Take for instance in Okami where you play and control a dog-like sun goddess in an action game which came out in 2008 on Playstation 2. With how popular the game became, it was spread to other systems. 

I'm aware of Goat simulator, not a big fan of it to be honest. I played the original Okami on PS2 back in the day, but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the gameplay. I just couldn't get into it. 

11 hours ago, Empire said:

If you include insects as animals, Bug Fables is quite good. It's paper Mario like and the writing is pretty enjoyable. If you like 3d platformers I'd recommend Super New Luckys Tale. It's not the hardest game(until you try the end levels) but it's such a clean, good looking game.

Or even in GTA if you add mods 😛

Thanks! I'll check some of those out. Didn't think about GTA and mods, not really feeling GTA these days to be honest. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm aware of Goat simulator, not a big fan of it to be honest. I played the original Okami on PS2 back in the day, but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the gameplay. I just couldn't get into it. 

I get that, some games don't just click with you no matter how much you try getting into playing it. I have had some games that felt the same way with me and I moved on from it with no stress. 

You as well have Shelter looked into and see if it's something that's going to interest you. It's a survival game where you play as a mother badger that's bent on taking her cubs to safety. 

I purchased stray and I have played it a few times since July 20th.

The game play is good , you feel some levels of empathy playing this game which could get you Emotionally attached to the game to some extent (this is more of a personal review not intended to desuade or encourage anyone to play). 

Stray is good no doubt but in my opinion, if they are looking at developing a new game with the same kind of puzzles and gameplay, maybe they should look at adding more content to it. Stray is quite short for what it's worth. A more complex one would be better. 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

Stray is good no doubt but in my opinion, if they are looking at developing a new game with the same kind of puzzles and gameplay, maybe they should look at adding more content to it. Stray is quite short for what it's worth. A more complex one would be better. 

Yeah, from what I heard it was a bit too short. I think if they add dlc, extra game modes like versus, races,etc it could be even better. For what it offers now, it's a bit too small for my liking. But maybe they will add updates to include more options down the road. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, from what I heard it was a bit too short. I think if they add dlc, extra game modes like versus, races,etc it could be even better. For what it offers now, it's a bit too small for my liking. But maybe they will add updates to include more options down the road. 

From my friend who's played and completed the game already, it took him about 5 hours to complete the game's main story and 8 hours to get 100% completion. For a game sold at $29.99, it's definitely too cost for that level of gameplay duration. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

From my friend who's played and completed the game already, it took him about 5 hours to complete the game's main story and 8 hours to get 100% completion. For a game sold at $29.99, it's definitely too cost for that level of gameplay duration. 

I disagree. I've purchased games for $60 before that had campaigns that long, some even shorter. The $29.99 may seem like a lot because there isn't a whole lot to do, but I think it's fair enough. Still I'd say a $20 price tag would suffice, but I think this game kinda deserves the price tag. Imo at least. 

Especially if there are any plans for future DLC (free hopefully) and mods maybe, that could keep the game alive even longer. 

On 7/31/2022 at 10:37 PM, Heatman said:

That's true though, something a bit more challenging would be better.

Maybe there could be a sequel or remake of this Game in the future and I think the developers should consider making it more complex with more intimidating bosses.

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I disagree. I've purchased games for $60 before that had campaigns that long, some even shorter. The $29.99 may seem like a lot because there isn't a whole lot to do, but I think it's fair enough. Still I'd say a $20 price tag would suffice, but I think this game kinda deserves the price tag. Imo at least. 

Especially if there are any plans for future DLC (free hopefully) and mods maybe, that could keep the game alive even longer. 

I would never be willing to knowingly pay for any games that's within 5-10 hours long for its 100% completion at $60. I get that some people might be willing to pay for that, but it's not me at all. It's worth it by all means.

Maybe I'd have to agree with Stray being within $20 shouldn't be any issues but since there's a chance of adding DLC to the game, that should cover it. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

I would never be willing to knowingly pay for any games that's within 5-10 hours long for its 100% completion at $60. I get that some people might be willing to pay for that, but it's not me at all. It's worth it by all means.

Maybe I'd have to agree with Stray being within $20 shouldn't be any issues but since there's a chance of adding DLC to the game, that should cover it. 

There are many games out there that have been priced at $60 and have short stories/campaigns. Of course some of them also have a multiplayer mode, or their single player is replayable multiple times, but just saying, there's been many short games released for $60. Quantum Break is kinda of a recent one that comes to mind, well as recent as 2016 was. I remember the story being super short, like you could beat it in a 5-8 hours or something. I don't remember how long it took me when I played it, but I got maybe 8 hours out of it. 

But this is all subjective. I get not wanting to pay full price for a game with a short story. I rarely buy games these days, if anything I just use gamepass. I don't need every game out there, it's more than enough. Plus I maybe buy a few games on sale once in a while. My budget has been tight as of late though, so not buying games for a bit.