Register Now
Nebulous

Upcoming game you are looking forward to playing?

On 8/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, Kane99 said:

To be fair I only played Perfect Dark Zero for about a half hour. I beat the original N64 game when they re-released it on the 360. But I didn't have a whole lot of fun with it. 

And with Blackgate, I kinda figured it was its own thing, a spin-off of sorts. Origins is kinda the black sheep of the Arkham series as it wasn't Rocksteady who developed it. But I thought it was still a decent Arkham game and had a decent story. Though it was much shorter than the other Arkham games. 

There's a lot of horror stories involving crunch, a lot of the time not including any overtime. I think Anthem was a big one where it resulted in many people crunching to make a release date. Hell they even crunched to get a demo out the door for the investors if I remember correctly. I've even heard stories of teams having to work with no overtime pay and even some where the team wasn't even paid. It's a sad part of gaming history. 

I just want games to come out without minimal issues. If that means taking a little longer, I'm okay to wait longer. I have enough games in my backlog to keep me occupied anyway. 

And about Minecraft, it was one guy, but he mostly copied the idea from another game, I believe it was called Infiniminer. 

1) SIGH. Kane, I am seriously trying to be respectful, but Blackgate is a core Batman Arkham game. It is the DIRECT SEQUEL to console-based Batman Arkham Origins, which as I've pointed out earlier is not considered part of the main story but is still an official Arkham game in every sense of the word. I guess that you could call Origins a "spin off", and by extension Blackgate. However... As I've already pointed out: There are plenty of video gaming franchises that have proper licensed entries under whatever franchise tag we're talking about, albeit made by a different developer. The example I gave in an above post was a reference to the Donkey Kong Country series. The original SNES trilogy did it's own thing, and are legitimate DKC licensed titles, and so are the two new ones (Returns and Tropical Freeze). Obviously the latter games are not a direct sequel to the SNES trilogy. If you want to label Origins a "spin off", then yes, by extension you could label Blackgate a "spin off". But if Origins is not a spinoff then neither is Blackgate, as I will say once again it is a CANONOLOGICAL AND DIRECT SEQUEL to Origins in every proper sense of the process. I think there are some final fantasy games made by other developers, and they are still final fantasy games regardless, although FF kind of does it's own thing with basically having its own story for each of its specified games. For the record I thought Arkham Origins was downright spectacular, and I thought it was like the 2nd best Arkham game behind the original. City was too big and Knight had so much potential that it didn't seem to utilize.

2) You're not missing much with Perfect Dark Zero. I beat it an it's mediocre at best. If you didn't like the original, which most people thought was fantastic, don't even play the follow up if it's given out for free, as it will waste your time. The new Perfect Dark, however, has potential to garner a wide acceptance among a broad audience because it's likely going to include a ton of modern day FPS qualities that attract users in all of the other big titles like COD, Tom Clancy games, Halo, etc.

3) In terms of "crunch"; I've never heard of development staff NOT being paid -- THAT is human slavery, of which still exists today, so I'd have to see very specific examples. I've mostly just seen news articles of development staff whining that they had to work extra hours because their boss made them, and in the instances I've seen they were paid. I'm a sun up/sun down type of guy and would be glad to work for those development teams and give them everything I have, and then become executive later.

4) Games can come out quicker with both pristine quality and minus your alleged claims about company staff being abused -- which I'm sure exist -- but I think it's kind of exaggerated. 

5) I don't know who stole what from who regarding Minecraft, but the title is still the best selling in World history and made by one guy.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, Heatman said:

If they work on developing the game to be released within 2025 or 2026, it's definitely a fair one in my opinion. A good number of gamers would be eager to wait it out till its out. But anything that's longer than that, they are going to lose the fans which is the game's market. 

Splinter Cell would most likely be released 2024. I somewhat doesn't see it getting past that year. 

Agreed because the director of the new Perfect Dark recently left the company, which means it could be set back:

Perfect Dark Director Dan Neuburger Seems to Have Left The Initiative (bosslevelgamer.com)

Splinter Cell seemingly has no major issues like that, and a director leaving mid-development is rare anyway. Hideo Kojima was fired at like the end of Metal Gear Solid 5's production and that was extremely rare.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, Kane99 said:

The thing is, have we even heard much about these games in recent years? I think all we know is that they're in development. So I have no clue when we could expect a new game in Perfect Dark or Splinter Cell. 

I know they will eventually happen, it's just question of when exactly. 

We've heard very little about either of the two because they've only been recently announced. Splinter Cell re-make will probably come out rather quick (late 23, sometime in 24 or 25 at the latest).

Perfect Dark coming out at all is still kind of a tossup; it could theoretically get cancelled, but a likely scenario is 2025 or 2026 launch.

3 minutes ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

1) SIGH. Kane, I am seriously trying to be respectful, but Blackgate is a core Batman Arkham game. It is the DIRECT SEQUEL to console-based Batman Arkham Origins, which as I've pointed out earlier is not considered part of the main story but is still an official Arkham game in every sense of the word. I guess that you could call Origins a "spin off", and by extension Blackgate. However... As I've already pointed out: There are plenty of video gaming franchises that have proper licensed entries under whatever franchise tag we're talking about, albeit made by a different developer. The example I gave in an above post was a reference to the Donkey Kong Country series. The original SNES trilogy did it's own thing, and are legitimate DKC licensed titles, and so are the two new ones (Returns and Tropical Freeze). Obviously the latter games are not a direct sequel to the SNES trilogy. If you want to label Origins a "spin off", then yes, by extension you could label Blackgate a "spin off". But if Origins is not a spinoff then neither is Blackgate, as I will say once again it is a CANONOLOGICAL AND DIRECT SEQUEL to Origins in every proper sense of the process. I think there are some final fantasy games made by other developers, and they are still final fantasy games regardless, although FF kind of does it's own thing with basically having its own story for each of its specified games. For the record I thought Arkham Origins was downright spectacular, and I thought it was like the 2nd best Arkham game behind the original. City was too big and Knight had so much potential that it didn't seem to utilize.

2) You're not missing much with Perfect Dark Zero. I beat it an it's mediocre at best. If you didn't like the original, which most people thought was fantastic, don't even play the follow up if it's given out for free, as it will waste your time. The new Perfect Dark, however, has potential to garner a wide acceptance among a broad audience because it's likely going to include a ton of modern day FPS qualities that attract users in all of the other big titles like COD, Tom Clancy games, Halo, etc.

3) In terms of "crunch"; I've never heard of development staff NOT being paid -- THAT is human slavery, of which still exists today, so I'd have to see very specific examples. I've mostly just seen news articles of development staff whining that they had to work extra hours because their boss made them, and in the instances I've seen they were paid. I'm a sun up/sun down type of guy and would be glad to work for those development teams and give them everything I have, and then become executive later.

4) Games can come out quicker with both pristine quality and minus your alleged claims about company staff being abused -- which I'm sure exist -- but I think it's kind of exaggerated. 

5) I don't know who stole what from who regarding Minecraft, but the title is still the best selling in World history and made by one guy.

Sorry, I should have said a spinoff in the sense of it being a different style of game. While it is a continuation of the series, it's gameplay is much different than the other Arkham games. It's a side scroller correct? So I probably shouldn't have said spinoff. 

And I disagree about Origins being second best. I prefer the likes of Arkham City first, Asylum, and then maybe origins before Knight. It's still a great game and is overlooked because it wasn't rocksteady making it. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Sorry, I should have said a spinoff in the sense of it being a different style of game. While it is a continuation of the series, it's gameplay is much different than the other Arkham games. It's a side scroller correct? So I probably shouldn't have said spinoff. 

And I disagree about Origins being second best. I prefer the likes of Arkham City first, Asylum, and then maybe origins before Knight. It's still a great game and is overlooked because it wasn't rocksteady making it. 

I just beat Blackgate the other day, and it is legit 2.5D because you side scroll but twist the camera around in every which direction jumping into the backround and foreground, often with camera rotations and stuff. It feels very much like an authentic Arkham game (more or less like Asylum), minus the boss fights which are kind of shoddy. It is actually very well made and you could see the 2.5D on display at the beginning of the game during a high profile chase scene with another villain.

10 minutes ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Agreed because the director of the new Perfect Dark recently left the company, which means it could be set back:

Perfect Dark Director Dan Neuburger Seems to Have Left The Initiative (bosslevelgamer.com)

Splinter Cell seemingly has no major issues like that, and a director leaving mid-development is rare anyway. Hideo Kojima was fired at like the end of Metal Gear Solid 5's production and that was extremely rare.

Damn, that's not a good sign at all. There's a big disagreement which might have caused Dan Neuburger to walk out and whatever it wasn't wouldn't be positive towards the project. Hideo Kojima pulled a lot of stunts with the MGS franchise and some of it pulled through for him and the game. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Damn, that's not a good sign at all. There's a big disagreement which might have caused Dan Neuburger to walk out and whatever it wasn't wouldn't be positive towards the project. Hideo Kojima pulled a lot of stunts with the MGS franchise and some of it pulled through for him and the game. 

Yeah it's likely to set Perfect Dark back for sure, but IF it actually gets released, I'm guessing it will be late 2024, 2025 or even later.

8 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Yeah it's likely to set Perfect Dark back for sure, but IF it actually gets released, I'm guessing it will be late 2024, 2025 or even later.

Yeah sure, if it's all up my power, I would be interested in having Perfect Dark release within that time frame or range. There seems to be a whole lot of games set to be released in 2023 all things being equal. So, having something that good set for 2024 would be very nice. 

I'm i the only one who thinks as with what is confirmed now, the usual packed end of the year for big games is probably the worst it's been in years. While there are a couple of games i'm interested in getting there is nothing that remotly stands out for imo, maybe it has to with age i don't know like even ubisoft isn't releasing a blockbuster title while skulls and bones looks decent enough it's doubtfull that it's going to be a huge success for them.

43 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm i the only one who thinks as with what is confirmed now, the usual packed end of the year for big games is probably the worst it's been in years. While there are a couple of games i'm interested in getting there is nothing that remotly stands out for imo, maybe it has to with age i don't know like even ubisoft isn't releasing a blockbuster title while skulls and bones looks decent enough it's doubtfull that it's going to be a huge success for them.

It's not just the end of year - it's the gaming market in general. Most of the new releases are average at best with majority of them tanking pretty hard.

Age of Reforging: The Freelands is a medival fantasy sandbox survival RPG. It's scheduled to be released next year 2023 with no specific date yet. It's going to be released on PC first, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it. 

Forgot to mention I'm pretty hyped for A Plague Tale: Requiem, really enjoyed the first game and I have a feeling I will enjoy the sequel as well. It's only a couple months away. Not sure if I'll be getting it day one, but it'll be on my radar for when it goes down in price. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Forgot to mention I'm pretty hyped for A Plague Tale: Requiem, really enjoyed the first game and I have a feeling I will enjoy the sequel as well. It's only a couple months away. Not sure if I'll be getting it day one, but it'll be on my radar for when it goes down in price. 

Same here, really looking forward to this one. It come out on Gamepass day one as far as I know, so that makes it a day one play for me for sure.