Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is it easier for you to be responsible in games than IRL?

I’ve made a weird discovery that I have an easier time being responsible in games in some ways (i.e. for followers, items, etc.) than I do IRL. I think it’s because IRL, I am always distracted by the need to earn a living, which consumes all my spoons and leaves little for juggling the rest of my responsibilities. In video games, we don’t have those challenges, so it is easier to put more care into things. Can anyone relate?

Honestly I think it is a hell of a lot easier to be responsible in video games than it is in real life. There's so much you have to worry about when you get older. Life can be chaotic. For me, I try to be responsible in real life, as best as I can, but I've made mistakes, done dumb things and I feel like I am more responsible in games than I have been in real life. There's just so much more to life than gaming. Having to pay bills, take care of your family, buy a house, and more. 

I don't think so, most people tend to cheat more in virtual reality than IRL. They feel like, no one gonna harm me and no one knows my true identity, so what's the need of being honest? not everyone tries cheating, some are real and put in great show in each contest with a fellow gamer online. 

There are many more productive things that I could/should be doing rather than gaming. I should also be writing the next great american novel, climbing mount everest, volunteering at a soup kitchen, and the list goes on, Yet I do not think that being responsible in games. You end up dead and spawning again. That can not happen in realife. 

I would say definitely easier. For example, I'm a hell of a lot more responsible in RDR2 than I am in real life. The only guns I keep on my horse are the ones that I know I'm going to need. Also, I don't know if this matters for this discussion but I'm adding it anyway: My honor ranking in RDR2 matters a hell of a lot for me.

IRL, however, I'm about as organized as a damn tornado. Sure I marked all the plastic tubs that my games are in by what system they were for. But that's pretty much a one-off.

Edited by The Blackangel

Also with video games, we can do things we can't do in real life. Fly dragons, breath under the ocean, etc. Most games don't require much of you aside from the story, missions and so on. In most games we don't need to use the bathroom, eat food, sleep even. 

The sims may be chaotic to some, because you're essentially running a life much like you're living one. But life is still tougher, because we have to live it. If we also don't like a game, we can move on from it. In life, you have to live the best you can. 

Being responsible in video games is something that is very easy because you always have the opportunity to control or fix whatever mistake that you made in the game but when it comes to real life, it's always very difficult because life doesn't give you a second chance in most cases. 

48 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Being responsible in video games is something that is very easy because you always have the opportunity to control or fix whatever mistake that you made in the game but when it comes to real life, it's always very difficult because life doesn't give you a second chance in most cases. 

What you said is right, IRL life their is responsibilities we tackle everyday that doesn't let us have second chance when mistakes are made. In video games their are plenty of chances to make amends. 

What I probably won't do is play games like job simulator if there is one. Powerwash sim was one thing, and honestly I liked it, but other job sim games I don't think I could do. Like the lawnmower sim, I played the first level and that was it. No need to play anymore for me lol. But I can see myself feeling the same way about other job Sims. 

On 8/8/2022 at 1:57 PM, Justin11 said:

What you said is right, IRL life their is responsibilities we tackle everyday that doesn't let us have second chance when mistakes are made. In video games their are plenty of chances to make amends. 

Exactly!! There are some situations where you can say damn it, I'm starting all over again to get something better out of the game. But it's not like that in real life. Any time used up in real life, never gets given back to you. It's why being responsible very difficult at it. 

In the real world I like to be well organized and take responsibility for everything that I am involved in and I find that i behave the same way with my video games I like to have a clean sheets with few deaths and if Possible non.

I don't like to play a Mission half way ,I usually Play it till completion before I call it a day so that when I return I have to begin from a new mission.

When playing the Sims I am even more concerned about every single detail and that just how I am in the real world.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

In the real world I like to be well organized and take responsibility for everything that I am involved in and I find that i behave the same way with my video games I like to have a clean sheets with few deaths and if Possible non.

I don't like to play a Mission half way ,I usually Play it till completion before I call it a day so that when I return I have to begin from a new mission.

When playing the Sims I am even more concerned about every single detail and that just how I am in the real world.

Same here. I try to keep a tight ship in my real life, and sometimes I do so in video games. Like with RDR2 right now, I'm playing it slow, trying to 100% everything before I play through the rest of the story. I know how it all ends, so I'm taking it as slow as I can haha. 

And same, I have to beat a mission before I quit. But, there are times where I have to jump off earlier because of life. My PC was tiring itself out playing RDR2 recently, so I had to quit mid mission. I was also watching a movie with friends on Discord as well, and the Discord froze up, so I figured my game was next. So I restarted and that was that. 

But yeah, I don't usually quit mid game. But if I have to, I will. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Same here. I try to keep a tight ship in my real life, and sometimes I do so in video games. Like with RDR2 right now, I'm playing it slow, trying to 100% everything before I play through the rest of the story. I know how it all ends, so I'm taking it as slow as I can haha. 

And same, I have to beat a mission before I quit. But, there are times where I have to jump off earlier because of life. My PC was tiring itself out playing RDR2 recently, so I had to quit mid mission. I was also watching a movie with friends on Discord as well, and the Discord froze up, so I figured my game was next. So I restarted and that was that. 

But yeah, I don't usually quit mid game. But if I have to, I will. 

I already played RDR2 twice already and since it's not a RDR thread I wouldn't want to get into further details about what transpired during to two experience.

I am some what a perfectionist and I like every be in good shape, though I still pause my game half way during a mission so I could attend to other stuffs but I don't abandon a game without atleast finish one Mission.

If you handle my ps4 or Xbox  you would find that all games that I have and  you have intensions to play anyone starts you at a new mission there is non left half way unless I didn't even play the game after I purchased it (because I have quite a good number like that).

I think with video games in general, they are a lot easier to handle than real life. Real life can be a huge burden at times, from having to have a job, be healthy, workout, eat food, and so on. In video games I can relax a bit more and not worry so much about the problems in my real life. Real life is a chore to deal with at times, while video games allow me the escape I long for in some regards. 

With RDR2, I bring that up, because I find living in that world a lot easier than living in the real world. It's easier for me to get into a game, than it is to do my taxes, workout, and do stuff in general. 

But yeah, I do sometimes feel responsible in video games too, but it's to a lesser extent than real life. I just don't take games as seriously as I do life. 

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

This is why it gets very difficult in real life because you have to be well organised most of the time, otherwise you risk falling apart in whatever you're involved with. People on their own seems to always look out for when you mess up. It's more like they are always expecting you to fail which is why you have to go extra miles to make sure that you pull through in any of your projects and that makes it very difficult. 

Edited by Heatman