Register Now
StaceyPowers

Functionality in games it took you years to discover

I think that with the advent of the Internet and walkthroughs, it's hard to miss any important gameplay features unless you actively avoid walkthroughs. The only time I've really missed a functionality for years would probably be Pokémon, and that was when I was a kid when I wasn't aware what Ditto-breeding and effort value were. Discovering that really changed the way I play Pokémon games ever since.

That's a good question. I'm honestly not sure I can think of anything. I'm reminded of a game called Rescue: The Embassy Mission on the NES, and during some portions of the game you're tasked with hiding from search lights. I didn't know you could hide behind walls and a few of the other areas. I always died during that part because I thought you could only use the doorways. I played it when I was a kid though, so I guess that's my excuse. 😄

On 9/6/2022 at 1:43 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you sometimes play a game for years before realizing you can do something in it? Like last night, after 3+ years of Oblivion, I finally realized you can pick up objects and position them like you can in Skyrim (not just put them in your inventory or drop them).

But how'd you miss that one? It's been around since Morrowind possibly even earlier...

On 9/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, Heatman said:

I played Ghost of Tsushima for a very long time before I found out that you can blow some objects in the game to discover Easter eggs. It's a mechanics that's spread across all the game that wasn't even explained well. 

I found out about discovering Easter eggs as early as when I started playing the game. That is one of the advantages that I have with having a brother that plays most games too.

18 hours ago, Empire said:

GTA to a point, even going back to the old GTA games and you see something that you have not seen before 😛 I mean it's a open big map and you see new things over time that you ever seen there before or whatnot. 

The GTA series presented gamers with a bigger experience where you have more ground to cover. I kinda liked what the developers did with making most of us think deep in order to achieve success in the game. 

The ability to sort trade routes in Civilization V by how much gold they'll make you: 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1867304752771095366/FC2622FAF1607FAD05A07CF5654A33973D11C7B1/

Trade routes were added in the "Brave New World" expansion pack in 2013 - and, presumably, this has been in the game since then. However, I didn't notice it until January this year - so, about eight and a half years!

Edited by Kyng

On 10/8/2022 at 12:56 AM, Kyng said:

The ability to sort trade routes in Civilization V by how much gold they'll make you: 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1867304752771095366/FC2622FAF1607FAD05A07CF5654A33973D11C7B1/

Trade routes were added in the "Brave New World" expansion pack in 2013 - and, presumably, this has been in the game since then. However, I didn't notice it until January this year - so, about eight and a half years

Though I am not a big fan of civilization games but i have played it few times over the years and only now realized how much of a great game it is and now I am considering getting back to it fully and maybe start civilization V all over again.