Register Now
Bilita

Call of Duty Named in School Shooter Lawsuit

Wow, just read this news.  So sad, do you think this might impact anything?

On the second anniversary of the Uvalde school shooting, two lawsuits were revealed, filed on behalf of the families of the victims against a weapons manufacturer – and Activision Blizzard. The families are being represented by Josh Koskoff, who has gone on record as saying, ‘There is a direct line between the conduct of these companies and the Uvalde shooting.’

Meta was also named in one of the lawsuits, but the bulk of the litigation is being aimed at Activision Blizzard as the publisher of Call of Duty and Daniel Defense, a manufacturer of the weapon used in the school shooting that left 22 dead and a further 21 injured.

https://insider-gaming.com/call-of-duty-school-shooter-lawsuit/

Posted (edited)

What aggravates me about these kind of lawsuits and legal cases whare entertainment media is blamed for somebody's heinous actions in real life is the complete and utter failure it represents to address the real, root causes of such incidents.  People are doomed to die in future incidents as a result. 

Whilst America's well documented issue with gun culture is certainly a factor, so I do think weapon manufactures have to held accountable, it is obviously nonsense to suggest any entertainment media, whether it's a video game, movie, music, or book, is any way responsible for the real life actions of a person.  Human beings have sentience, the power to imagine and fantasize, it's inherent in all of us.  We also have the ability to recognizes the difference between fantasy and reality as a part of that sentience.  If a person does not have the ability to recognise the difference between reality and fantasy, then there is a problem with that person's mind. They are mentally ill.  It has nothing to do with with a video game.

Edited by Shagger

Well I hope this doesn’t go to the Supreme Court because they will say school mass  shooters have immunity as long as it’s in Hispanic communities. Then the Supreme Court will protect the gun industry and declare games and developers open season to sue. This Supreme Court will grant every lawsuit against Meta to annihilate competition for X, which is the Supreme courts preferred Nazi social media. X is their Nazi fantasy. 

On 5/27/2024 at 7:08 AM, Lamarr the strelok said:

Another example of parents not being parents IMO.I'm fairly certain the shooter was giving signs that he wasn't well mentally and no one checked into it.

Exactly. The parents should of gotten their kids mental health help instead of putting the blame on someone else.