Register Now
TheSteelyardDweller

do you ever burn out on gaming

usually I am totally into gaming but sometimes I go through these phases where nothing interests me. I want to play but I just don’t. and my mind wandesr constantly even when I am playing. The longest that happened was like a year. Has anyone else had these burnout phases and what do you do about them.

Yes. Once when I was a kid I decided I wanted to run the entire way through Zelda: A Link To The Past without stopping to save and without dying. I was able to do it no problem, but at that age it took a few hours. Afterwards, I was so burnt out, I didn't touch any of my systems for close to a year. The idea of gaming just made me sick. I actually sold a lot of my games. But eventually, I started gaming again. It took a long ass time for me to really get back into it like I previously had been, but it did eventually happen.

Edited by The Blackangel

47 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Yes. Once when I was a kid I decided I wanted to run the entire way through Zelda: A Link To The Past without stopping to save and without dying. I was able to do it no problem, but at that age it took a few hours. Afterwards, I was so burnt out, I didn't touch any of my systems for close to a year. The idea of gaming just made me sick. I actually sold a lot of my games. But eventually, I started gaming again. It took a long ass time for me to really get back into it like I previously had been, but it did eventually happen.

That is so the kind of thing I could see doing to myself. Sometimes I get really angry at a certain boss and get determined to beat it that day no matter what it takes, and/or I feel I must beat it using a certain weapon or strategy, and by the time I'm done, I don't want to look at the game again for weeks.

I think burn out happens for me every now and then. For example it happened recently and I had a lot of issues with headache and depression with other matters in real life. So taking break often helps out. Gaming can be too much stress. 

It’s fine and totally normal to sometimes burn out on gaming. I usually focus on reading, skateboarding, writing, music or movies for a while and it helps to give me a fresh perspective, but I always end up returning to the magnetic pull of games. Gaming will always be a big part of my life, but it’s ok for hobbies to ebb and flow. That’s just life, I guess.

Edited by DylanC

I have decided to take the time out too. I mean that is pretty much needed. Playing games all the time is bad for the health. And also it can be pretty boring after some time. In 20s we can take a lot of that but not after that. 

I guess based on what  I have seen so far in gaming forums lately. I think I am playing a lot of android games and I have to control the addiction. Something like that needs to be handled properly. Not that it is going to be any easy though. 

18 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

i guess a good follow up question is how you come back from gaming burnout

It is good to have a day set aside where you take a break from gaming and just do something else - that one day break will help you clear your mind and also gives you renewed energy so that you will enjoy gaming even more.