Register Now
Alexander.

What weather adds the most to a video game?

What weather adds the most to a video game? And why is that? It's snow for me. Since a young age, I couldn't wait for it to start snowing at Christmas Time, in the real world. Unfortunately, due to climate change, each Winter, there is less and less falling from the sky. 

It reminds me of these memories. 

Clear, Sunny Skies.

I hate bad weather in real life as much as in games. I think bad weather takes away from games, not adds to them.

Bad weather is the equivalent of being stuck indoors, I hate being stuck inside, as much as I Hate the dark. I hate winter for this exact reason because it's already pitch black at 4pm. My favourite part of the year is the middle of the summer when there is daylight from 4 am to  9pm.

So I don't just hate games that operate with bad weather I also hate darkness in games. I want to be able to clearly see the environment and explore it unhindered.

4 hours ago, m76 said:

Clear, Sunny Skies.

I hate bad weather in real life as much as in games. I think bad weather takes away from games, not adds to them.

Bad weather is the equivalent of being stuck indoors, I hate being stuck inside, as much as I Hate the dark. I hate winter for this exact reason because it's already pitch black at 4pm. My favourite part of the year is the middle of the summer when there is daylight from 4 am to  9pm.

So I don't just hate games that operate with bad weather I also hate darkness in games. I want to be able to clearly see the environment and explore it unhindered.

The less light there is, the better. I have light blocking curtains in every room, and rarely turn the lights on. The best thing about winter is that the days only have 7-8 hours of sunlight, and the rest of the 24 hour period is darkness. Sunlight is excruciatingly physically painful.

If it's dark enough that you can't see your hand in front of your face, it's still too bright.

Edited by The Blackangel

27 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The less light there is, the better. I have light blocking curtains in every room, and rarely turn the lights on. The best thing about winter is that the days only have 7-8 hours of sunlight, and the rest of the 24 hour period is darkness. Sunlight is excruciatingly physically painful.

If it's dark enough that you can't see your hand in front of your face, it's still too bright.

So how did you type this message? Screens give of a ton of light in dark rooms, that's actually excruciating, viewing a bright screen in an unlit room.

Even so, you can always block out the light if you feel like, but you can't replace daylight. Some of us have shit to do, and work 8 hour dayjobs. I need daylight to get shit done around the house.

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

3 minutes ago, m76 said:

So how did you type this message? Screens give of a ton of light in dark rooms, that's actually excruciating, viewing a bright screen in an unlit room.

Even so, you can always block out the light if you feel like, but you can't replace daylight. Some of us have shit to do, and work 8 hour dayjobs. I need daylight to get shit done around the house.

Nah, I'm with the @The Blackangel

Screw daylight! It burns, like holy water.

15 minutes ago, m76 said:

The screen has a revolutionary new feature that's called "Adjust Brightness".

Don't even get started with that "shit to do" and "work 8 hour jobs" bullshit. Some of us are disabled and CAN'T FUCKING WORK.

When you reach a point that you have to wear sunglasses indoors due to it being so bright that it physically burns your eyes and you have to keep them closed for the next 2 days to heal, then you can talk to me about brightness.

Edited by The Blackangel

For me, I like all kinds of weather in games. From a good old downpour, to a snow filled location. I think the best weather system is in RDR2. The constant weather changes to the snowy mountain peaks are great. Especially when you watch a thunder storm in game and see lightning off in the distance. It's nice! 🙂

1 hour ago, ARx182 said:

Snow really adds a different element to a game compared to rain or normal weather. Especially if, for example, the snow makes your character slower. It adds the element of realness.

I agree. I was so mesmerized with the snow mechanics in Assassin's Creed 3, but RDR2 really blew me out of the water with their snow. 

52 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I think the best weather system is in RDR2. The constant weather changes to the snowy mountain peaks are great. Especially when you watch a thunder storm in game and see lightning off in the distance. It's nice! 🙂

RDR2 has the best weather changes and realism in any game I've ever played. They spared no detail whatsoever with that. They had to have meteorologists working on the game with them for it. They completely knocked it out of the park. And adding the low visibility in the swamps from swamp gas and fog, was the icing on the cake. They cut no corners anywhere with the weather aspect of the game.

Edited by The Blackangel

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 has the best weather changes and realism in any game I've ever played. They spared no detail whatsoever with that. They had to have meteorologists working on the game with them for it. They completely knocked it out of the park. And adding the low visibility in the swamps from swamp gas and fog, was the icing on the cake. They cut no corners anywhere with the weather aspect of the game.

Oh for sure. I remember fishing with a storm coming, and just seeing the lighting strike land in the distance was quite a site. It's almost as realistic as they come. Even the first game had a great weather system. I love when games go into such details. 

I remember when I used to play FIFA regularly and all my friends absolutely hated when it rained or snowed on the games. It was random so you did not know what to expect before the match started. I  think people hating it as the ball was zipping off the surface, but I really enjoyed this, especially the snow as it made the experience even more authentic.