Jump to content
Register Now
Kane99

Ever deal with Joycon Drift?

Recommended Posts

Joycon Drift has been a big problem for the Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite since the consoles came out. Nintendo has since offered free re-pairs to those who have joycon drift. I had to send my nephews joycons in for repair, and Nintendo repaired them, no questions asked. I wonder how much money this has costed Nintendo, because the drift problem seems to happen for everyone eventually. Has it happened to your joycons yet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lite doesn't have that problem, because it's all one solid piece. It doesn't have removable joycons like the regular Switch. But I have used both, and that drift drove me nuts. Trying to play a game, and the controls keep running away from you is infuriating. Even though it's smaller, I still say the Lite is the superior option. All games are interchangeable between both versions of the Switch, because they're the exact same machine. The only downside to the Lite is no docking ability and it doesn't support a vibration function. Other than that, go for the Lite if you're considering buying one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it does seem to happen for the Switch Lite as well. The problem with joycon drift, is that it's the analog sticks that have the problem. This can in turn happen with the Switch Lite. The only difference, is that you'd have to send in the full console to get it repaired. 😞

This article discusses how it's happening for Lite models as well. https://www.pcmag.com/news/nintendos-switch-lite-also-suffers-from-joy-con-drift\

The good news though, is that Nintendo will fix these problems for free if they can find it to be the problem. The downside is having to wait for your Switch Lite to come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stand corrected. I was thinking that the controllers sliding off the console was "drifting". However, so far I haven't had to face a drifting issue with my Lite. So here's hoping that I don't end up having to face it, until a time comes when I lose all interest in my Lite and quit using it all together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is something I still dont understand, is it an issue that is related to the hardware or software? The reason Im asking is because this started to happen recently to me while playing mario kart but it does not happen on any other game, I also notice that it happens more when playing on a 4 co-op screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

This is something I still dont understand, is it an issue that is related to the hardware or software? The reason Im asking is because this started to happen recently to me while playing mario kart but it does not happen on any other game, I also notice that it happens more when playing on a 4 co-op screen.

Probably a combination of both - Nintendo has never really explained what caused the issue in the first place. They only claimed to have fixed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know much but it has killed handheld gaming for many people. Looking around, there seems to be a common issue with the side rail getting worn!! Sigh, just annoying how many hardware issues the switch suffers in away. 

On 4/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, kingpotato said:

hardware or software?

Hardware I say more then anything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2022 at 2:40 PM, killamch89 said:

Probably a combination of both - Nintendo has never really explained what caused the issue in the first place. They only claimed to have fixed it.

Has nothing to do with software itself but more to do with the hardware. Anlog sticks take a lot of damage from constant use. Each of my 360 and Xbox one controllers for example all had issues with one of the analog sticks eventually, this eas likely due to extend use, but like I think the joycon problem stems from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I haven't but I don't use the joy cons either, I just use the pro controller, a bit easier to replace if I do get it.

I noticed with pro controllers or standard controllers as well, that drift still happens. At least with my Xbox 360, Xbox One controllers they always resulted in drift at some point. I think it's from prolonged use of course, but it is still annoying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes! I have had my joy con drift since back in 2020 after I purchased Animal Crossing New Horizons on the Switch during the lockdown as something for me and my kids to play that was a little different to the games, we had been playing such as Fortnite. I have had my Nintendo Switch now since November 2018, so it took just over a year for the drift to start with my joy cons, they were not dropped or damaged in anyway intentionally it just started happening. 

I was completely unaware that you could send them back to Nintendo and have them repaired for free. I am curious though, are they still offering this service or is it something that they have now stopped? I would love to be able to get mine repaired, if possible, rather than fork out for brand new ones at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I noticed with pro controllers or standard controllers as well, that drift still happens. At least with my Xbox 360, Xbox One controllers they always resulted in drift at some point. I think it's from prolonged use of course, but it is still annoying. 

I still have yet to get it, but I don't play my Switch much or hard, so I may not cause it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far my Nintendo switch OLED version has been in really wonderful condition and I haven't had any technical or videos l games related issues on it.

Hopefully it stays that way for the long run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2022 at 1:09 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I still have yet to get it, but I don't play my Switch much or hard, so I may not cause it.

Yeah I think it's mostly due to prolonged use. For me, I used to play a lot of Call of Duty on the 360, and due to that I think my constant playing eventually resulted in my controller having drift. Usually the left analog stick goes bad. It may be because the melee button is the push of the analog stick. 

But yeah, the more you use it, the more likely drift will occur. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah I think it's mostly due to prolonged use. For me, I used to play a lot of Call of Duty on the 360, and due to that I think my constant playing eventually resulted in my controller having drift. Usually the left analog stick goes bad. It may be because the melee button is the push of the analog stick. 

But yeah, the more you use it, the more likely drift will occur. 

Makes you wonder what poor testing the game companies do on their controllers these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...