Register Now
StaceyPowers

Recommended gamepads for PC?

I cannot sit at my PC and game because it isn’t ergonomic for me to use a mouse and keyboard. Both my back and neck seem more comfortable on the couch, and a gamepad seems a lot less likely to cause headaches. Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive but decent gamepad for a Win 10 laptop?

Due to Covid, most gamepads have become a bit more pricey. If you can get a PS4 controller for $40-44 plus a wireless dongle which is about $5 dollars, you can have a proper wireless gaming experience. I think you'll need to download a software called DS4 to make it work.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Look for an XBox 360 controller with a wireless adapter.  I've seen them combined locally for about £15. Then maybe for another £5 - £7 you can get a rechargeable battery pack. That is what I use on PC.

Totally forgot about that...

There are many options when it comes to gamepads for your PC. I normally just use an Xbox One controller, or a Xbox One Power A pro controller. Works wonders. You can also buy USB controllers in the styles of many popular gamepads. There are a lot of cheap USB controllers on the market as well if you want to save some cash. 

On 11/8/2020 at 4:01 AM, Kane99 said:

There are many options when it comes to gamepads for your PC. I normally just use an Xbox One controller, or a Xbox One Power A pro controller. Works wonders. You can also buy USB controllers in the styles of many popular gamepads. There are a lot of cheap USB controllers on the market as well if you want to save some cash. 

Even the Xbox Series controllers are on sale at Target for $49.99 at the moment which is around what the Xbox One controller is going for. I think she can also give those a look as well...

If you can get it to run inside of steam big picture, a dualshock 4 can be fully customized to meet your needs, or a steam controller. xbone and xbox360 controllers are fairly adequate and generally well supported. logitech makes a pretty OK gamepad, but will be more limited in its usefulness, you can also get an adapter that will convert old style playstation 1/2 controllers to USB. i've generally had a good experience with these for the purposes of emulation.

Or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xbox-Controller-WirelessAdapter-Win/dp/B078Y36QFJ/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=53943467915&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETxm1pKbnCWr6M6I1ssUcxlBsmed0oPT9RU3-I4W5JXj134M-cLZz5MaAsZIEALw_wcB&hvadid=259069548437&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046814&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18381941780592351098&hvtargid=kwd-316397120363&hydadcr=741_1866498&keywords=microsoft+xbox+controller+for+pc&qid=1606394181&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-21

35 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I'm looking into getting a new wireless controller for my laptop. I'm gonna go through this thread (thanks for that Video @Heatman), but if anyone has any new ideas feel free to share.

Get the Xbox one S or Series X controller with Bluetooth connectivity and you can play your games wirelessly. You didn't say anything about budget though so let us know what price range you looking at.

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Get the Xbox one S or Series X controller with Bluetooth connectivity and you can play your games wirelessly. You didn't say anything about budget though so let us know what price range you looking at.

That's the safe option, but I was honestly looking for something a little cheaper if possible.

41 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Well, you have PS4 controllers already so you could just buy a $5 wireless dongle and use DS4 to make it work wirelessly. Here's a video on it:

I've heard of DS4, but for some reason never considered using it. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but I do have a couple of issues.

1. The button prompts on screen won't match the symbols on the controller itself because the pronts will obviously use the equilvilant buttons on an Xbox controller. It's possible I could get used to that, but it would be annoying, especially for games I've never played before.
  2. I only have one DualShock 4 that works properly right now, so having to reset the controller and reconnect it to the PC and console every time I switch devices would be a pain in the ass. I could solve that by buying a new Dualshock 4, but there's no point when a new 1708 model One controller would cost the same. EDIT: Forget what I just said. For some reason I don't understand new Xbox one 1708 model controllers are price at around £80! How, when and why did that happen?
Edited by Shagger

37 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Well, you have PS4 controllers already so you could just buy a $5 wireless dongle and use DS4 to make it work wirelessly. Here's a video on it:

I thought the DS4 worked natively through USB or Bluetooth, in fact I'm certain I've done it before...