Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do PS5 scalpers have any legitimate defense for their actions?

I saw a scalper group defending its actions with buying up PS5s and reselling them at high prices recently. The group said that a lot of its members were out of work because of coronavirus and needed the money.

Do you feel that is a legitimate defense, or simply points toward the need for other solutions?

There's no real defense of their practices because every one else is also being affected by Covid. I think most retailers need to start implementing captcha (the difficult ones) among other strategies to limit the scalper's business and make it time-consuming and ineffective. Then again, most retailers only care about the money they receive so...

There is no defense. It's pure greed and nothing else.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There's no real defense of their practices because every one else is also being affected by Covid. I think most retailers need to start implementing captcha (the difficult ones) among other strategies to limit the scalper's business and make it time-consuming and ineffective. Then again, most retailers only care about the money they receive so...

That's not a bad idea, but would be ineffective. Just because Scalper-1 is recorded, it doesn't mean their friends and family are. Also they could offer people x amount of money to go in, buy one with the scalpers money, and bring it out to the scalper. There's a million ways around these things.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

That's not a bad idea, but would be ineffective. Just because Scalper-1 is recorded, it doesn't mean their friends and family are. Also they could offer people x amount of money to go in, buy one with the scalpers money, and bring it out to the scalper. There's a million ways around these things.

Yeah, you're right and they'd probably charge even more but then you'd have even bigger idiots buying their items. It's a never-ending cycle... 

On 12/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, The Blackangel said:

The "time-consuming" aspect seems useful though. I almost feel like forcing buyers to fill out an application that takes a few solid minutes would help. A bot can't fill out an application convincingly, and the time-consuming aspect would prevent all the consoles from selling out in seconds, giving more people a shot?

Yeah, scalpers piss me off, as they're just doing it to make a quick buck, and in reality, don't care about the people they're selling to. There are many people trying to get these new consoles, but these scalpers have to make it harder on everyone, as they think they can swindle a bunch of people. It's quite annoying and I hope stores start to implement some kind of measure. Ebay and Amazon at the very least should be removing these high priced listings. 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, killamch89 said:

I think some stores are doing exactly this. It needs to start happening everywhere though, as it's every new gaming device that gets this treatment, and it's annoying to me. I want to get one of those Game and Watch consoles from Nintendo, but at most places it's overpriced. Nintendo at the very least are producing more, so it should stop the scalpers a bit. But I doubt it'll stop em outright. 😞 But a captcha thing, or something that limits them, would be quite helpful right now. 

On 1/2/2021 at 6:20 PM, Patrik said:

That's just a lame excuse, they aren't the only ones that lost their jobs ( and i don't think they are being honest anyways )

I mean they send millions of dollars just to acquire these items and then sell them for millions more. I'm sure they need at least 1m dollars to feed their families - they must be pigs!

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I mean they send millions of dollars just to acquire these items and then sell them for millions more. I'm sure they need at least 1m dollars to feed their families - they must be pigs!

You don't really need millions to be a scalper, they use bots that buy those consoles/parts for them once they are in stock, they buy for few and sell for a really a lot, i don't think that those bots are any expensive as they can be done pretty easily, to whoever has a knowledge about Python...

They will lie out of there skinny teeth to try their best to keep themselves happy and able to have the powers to make money. If it's away to make money real-time then they will try and keep on doing it. It's not like there is any law regards to this, not yet anyway. There is no defense at all here, what a crap batch of people that are taken people's money. Most of those people work as one person as themselves. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:08 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The group said that a lot of its members were out of work because of coronavirus and needed the money.

I find it hard to believe that they can afford to spend ~£450 on a brand new video games console to resell and not make said ~£450 go far if they need it. I get it, 'supply and demand' and 'asset flipping' are all valid strategies of making more money in the system we live in, and I slow clappingly applaud them on the dubious honour of their bots winning the race to resell a popular item.

I say hard to believe and not 'impossible' because there probably are one or two people who desperately need not just £450, but more than that going forward, and wouldn't do this if they could swallow their pride and do better. I'm sure one or two had resorted to selling furniture to no avail, relying on food banks, changing their phone's data plans or Hell, selling their current ones for an older model that can still support the internet for their job and to scalp. But not the hundreds or however many are doing this.

Edited by Withywarlock

46 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I find it hard to believe that they can afford to spend ~£450 on a brand new video games console to resell and not make said ~£450 go far if they need it. I get it, 'supply and demand' and 'asset flipping' are all valid strategies of making more money in the system we live in, and I slow clappingly applaud them on the dubious honour of their bots winning the race to resell a popular item.

I say hard to believe and not 'impossible' because there probably are one or two people who desperately need not just £450, but more than that going forward, and wouldn't do this if they could swallow their pride and do better. I'm sure one or two had resorted to selling furniture to no avail, relying on food banks, changing their phone's data plans or Hell, selling their current ones for an older model that can still support the internet for their job and to scalp. But not the hundreds or however many are doing this.

My sentiments exactly!

3 hours ago, Empire said:

They will lie out of there skinny teeth to try their best to keep themselves happy and able to have the powers to make money. If it's away to make money real-time then they will try and keep on doing it. It's not like there is any law regards to this, not yet anyway. There is no defense at all here, what a crap batch of people that are taken people's money. Most of those people work as one person as themselves. 

There are laws against scalping, but it mostly depends on the "when and where" you're doing it. You can't stand outside a sport stadium and sell scalp tickets. That can get you a night in jail and a fine. You can't stand outside an electronics or gaming store and sell PS5's all the same. But if you buy several and go to websites like CL to sell them, then there's nothing that can be done about that.

It's a kind of "pick and choose" when it's to be called legal and illegal.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:08 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I saw a scalper group defending its actions with buying up PS5s and reselling them at high prices recently. The group said that a lot of its members were out of work because of coronavirus and needed the money.

Do you feel that is a legitimate defense, or simply points toward the need for other solutions?

From onset, men has been that way with always trying to justify all their actions with a good reason for the cause whether it's something good or bad. 

If a scammer is caught, he or she would definitely come up with an excuse to justify his or her own actions. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

From onset, men has been that way with always trying to justify all their actions with a good reason for the cause whether it's something good or bad. 

If a scammer is caught, he or she would definitely come up with an excuse to justify his or her own actions. 

Everyone thinks they're the hero in their own story even when they're the cause of all the issues. Just look at how Pedos will try to justify their sick and twisted behavior.