Register Now
killamch89

Should Broken Games Be Pulled From All Digital Stores Going Forward

In light of Sony removing Cyberpunk 2077, my friend and I had this discussion about it the other day and we both agreed that this should be the way forward. That way, developers would start finishing games pre-launch instead of trying to fix it post-launch. It doesn't make sense to spend $50-$60 for a "finished product" when the product isn't bug-free or barring a few insignificant bugs. What do you guys think?

I think it should only be to the extent of what Cyberpunk 2077 is going through. I think if it's a game that is broke, and or unplayable, it should be removed until it's all ironed out. Of course, I don't think every game that may be buggy should be removed. If the game works, and there's nothing game breaking, I say it should be on the marketplace. But, if there is ever a chance the games save gets corrupt, or you can't get past the loading screen, or when you do play, it's a mess or doesn't play right, then it should be removed from the marketplace. In the case of CB2077, it was the right choice to make. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think it should only be to the extent of what Cyberpunk 2077 is going through. I think if it's a game that is broke, and or unplayable, it should be removed until it's all ironed out. Of course, I don't think every game that may be buggy should be removed. If the game works, and there's nothing game breaking, I say it should be on the marketplace. But, if there is ever a chance the games save gets corrupt, or you can't get past the loading screen, or when you do play, it's a mess or doesn't play right, then it should be removed from the marketplace. In the case of CB2077, it was the right choice to make. 

I kind of disagree. We want finished games - not this give us an unfinished product and then fix it later while paying the maximum price bs.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I totally agree. We wouldn't buy a brand new car that doesn't have a working transmission, so why the hell should we buy a game that doesn't fully work and do what it's supposed to be doing?

Exactly what I'm saying and the worse part is you have to pay full price for it...

47 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I think so. I think testers on stores should also pass the game before they can get the hands on the client end. I think that is another good approach. THis will especially help the indie developers. 

Honestly, Indie developers are the ones mainly giving us the finished games. It's these triple A studios that's really responsible for this kind of practice.

Bugs actually exist in every game, it just depends on how noticeable they are, also patches and updates exist for a reason, but if a certain period of time passes and the game is still buggy, then it should be removed for sure

The greatest obstacle to overcome is defining 'broken'. We can point to Cyberpunk 2077, but the game is playable from start to finish. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's doable nonetheless. Who ultimately gets to decide the importance and magnitude of a piece of content not functioning as the highest authority of the development process intends?

For all intents and purposes Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is broken. I do not want it removed from Steam even though the studio which made it no longer exists to patch it, because there is a very hard working individual who has been patching the game for over ~14 years now. It's a very good game, and I'd hate for others to miss out on a fantastical piece of RPG history because a suit somewhere decided it wasn't fit for them personally.

I'm of the belief that Cyberpunk 2077 was pulled for cynical publicity purposes rather than any concrete values. When Aliens: Colonial Marines, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Fallout 76 and Anthem weren't removed, I have to wonder what else could've caused CP2077 to be pulled other than hype blowing up in people's faces.

Edited by Withywarlock

Honestly, I rarely replay games that are broken and I feel more saddened by the fact that some gaming that are poor might be lost to newer players and not so much to me personally. For example I would be sad to see if for some reason in 10 years Psychonauts was no longer available. I'd consider that a cultural loss, even if I won't personally go back and play it. If there is no damn support and just unplayable then yes remove. Yet some games that no longer support and works great and still bugged. Depends. 

Yes and no. In my opinion they should stay there to give the devs some income so they fix it. If it isn't fixed in a month they should remove the game. That's my opinion, if you make a game, and release it as a full game you have 1 month for it to get to a great playable level, not just playable.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, Shole said:

Yes and no. In my opinion they should stay there to give the devs some income so they fix it. If it isn't fixed in a month they should remove the game. That's my opinion, if you make a game, and release it as a full game you have 1 month for it to get to a great playable level, not just playable.

I'd say it's better to have some kind of vetting process games have to go through before they can be uploaded. That way, we won't have this issue of broken games being uploaded and we'd get higher quality games right out of the box.