Register Now
Kane99

Do you think that more consoles will be coming out?

With the current slew of consoles releasing, it got me thinking. It feels like we're going to get a lot of consoles this generation. We already have the core group (PS5, Xbox Series X or S, Switch) and now we're getting the new Atari Console, and now this KFConsole. Do you think this is going to create a trend where more high end consoles/PCs come are coming out to compete with the big companies? Or are we just seeing a small trend that will end soon?

2 hours ago, Syntax said:

Is the KFC console even a console? I thought it was just a PC with a way to heat a bowl of chicken on top.

I was actually wondering too why it's called a console lol, it's literally a PC with a weird case.

On topic : yeah why not, i mean, there will be always be competitors, the issue will be the compatibility as developpers will have to make games compatible with some unpopular console, otherwise, those consoles makers have to make their own games till they get popular

Personally I think we will see something of a mix. A portable pc that is like a console, like the KFC thingy. I think we will see more of those, but, with the corona thing god knows how it will affect the market. Either we are all going to go wild and travel a lot and we will need a portable gaming device or we will get locked in and not need one.

Also a possibility is that we will get more things like the nitendo switch. If I was in China working again, I'd try to make one myself lol. I know I could've gotten cheeper parts there...who knows if boarders open up and I get there I might try to make a small pc version of the switch.

There are always challengers to the big 3, but most don't get much press, if any at all. They come in silently, and usually go out silently. We will watch it happen for the rest of the time that gaming even has a market. Sure some may get a bit of popularity, but will have a short lifespan. Think Sega Dreamcast. But that was a rather unique situation, as it was a last ditch effort of a formerly extremely popular company to make a console to stay in the market. There's also the Virtual Boy. It only had about 22 games. Eight of which were exclusive to Japan, and three that were exclusive to North America. So not even the big 3 are immune from bombing.

I think the competition is gonna come from the VR. As their game list grows and specs improved, people will spend money on it and take away from the 'classic' consoles. But, they better make it more user friendly somehow because even though VR is fun, you have to be in the mood for it. It's a lot more user friendly to play a regular console and chill with your pets. 

I heard recently there was another console coming from I think the people who made the turbographx or the 3DO. I can't seem to locate the story or remember the exact company, but it's a company that made consoles in the past, but haven't done much since. Man, it's going to bug me that I can't remember it. :( 

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I heard recently there was another console coming from I think the people who made the turbographx or the 3DO. I can't seem to locate the story or remember the exact company, but it's a company that made consoles in the past, but haven't done much since. Man, it's going to bug me that I can't remember it. 😞

I doubt it's the same company as the 3D0. That was the brainchild of one of EA's cofouners they and were only responsible for games on the system and the spec's of the system. The actual design and manufacture of the consoles was sub-contratraced to manfactuers. A modern day comparison would be liking the 3D0 to a Steam machine except it was a software engineering providing the spec's for hardware engineering to follow instead of the other way round. The point is that company did not build their own console, and it's doubtful they would re-surface to do so now. 

2 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I doubt it's the same company as the 3D0. That was the brainchild of one of EA's cofouners they and were only responsible for games on the system and the spec's of the system. The actual design and manufacture of the consoles was sub-contratraced to manfactuers. A modern day comparison would be liking the 3D0 to a Steam machine except it was a software engineering providing the spec's for hardware engineering to follow instead of the other way round. The point is that company did not build their own console, and it's doubtful they would re-surface to do so now. 

Yeah idk then. I saw a post on Facebook saying so and so was going to come out with another console after being absent for years. Maybe it was Panasonic or maybe the NeoGeo. 

Oh I found it. SNK is making a console to come out in 2021. Check the article from Gamespot

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah idk then. I saw a post on Facebook saying so and so was going to come out with another console after being absent for years. Maybe it was Panasonic or maybe the NeoGeo. 

Oh I found it. SNK is making a console to come out in 2021. Check the article from Gamespot

I used to have the Neogeo back in the day so this should be pretty interesting. Then again, with Nintendo around, I can't see this console appealing to most gamers. If I remember correctly there was a gaming company that planned to make a console, I just don't remember who it was and they made some pretty outlandish claims and it was supposed to be out in 2021. I even remember us having a thread about it some time ago...