Register Now
killamch89

Sony No Longer Closing PS3/Vita Stores As Jim Ryan Admits That "They made the wrong decision"

After the backlash Sony has gotten over announcing closure of the PS3 and Vita stores recently, Sony has decided to reverse that decision as they admit to making the wrong decision. I couldn't care less for their half hearted apology as this shows us what Sony's real aim is. What are your thoughts about this?

37 minutes ago, m76 said:

Don't be like that. At least they reversed the decision, most companies would never actually listen and admit any fault like that. This is a win for fans of those systems.

I agree. As I don't really ay the PS3 nor the Vita anymore this wasn't such a big deal to me, but it did raise concerns about how long people would be able to play games on a PS4/5 and I think that's what ultimately made Sony think again about this move. The fact is, feedback from fans has humbled Sony enough to change their mind, so this is a result. It was a similar thing when Microsoft first announced the XB1 and we (as the gaming community) managed to turn that around as well. I gave Microsoft another chance as did others and it humbled Microsoft into making better choices in the future, let's see if Sony do the same. 

I wasn't really that bothered about the PS3 store closing down.  I am glad the Vita's is still open because there is still some developers making games for it but this is just delaying the inevitable.  You can't really expect Sony to support these systems forever.

What's bothering me is the CMOS battery issue which could render the PS3, PS4 and PS5 all but useless down the line should both CMOS battery die and the servers go offline both of which inevitably will.  Sony could fix the problem so easily by simply updating the system software so that trophies are disabled while games are played offline.  I know this is possible because jailbreakers have already been able this exact same thing.

Edited by Crazycrab

My PS3 games are all discs. So the shutdown didn't really bother me. I have a lot of games for PS3, many of which I have never even played. But right now my PS3 is in the closet, waiting for the next time I decide I want to use it. Typically, I only played PS1 games on it anyway. I think I downloaded ONE game. I bought the system new, not long after it came out. And in all that time, I think I downloaded ONE game. I would have to find the right PS3 (I have several) and hook it up to know. That's a pain in the ass that I don't feel like dealing with right now.

15 hours ago, m76 said:

Don't be like that. At least they reversed the decision, most companies would never actually listen and admit any fault like that. This is a win for fans of those systems.

You're mostly right but we know they'll try this again in the near future but they'll be much more calculative about it. I'll give them a pass this time but I'm still vigilant.

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

I agree. As I don't really ay the PS3 nor the Vita anymore this wasn't such a big deal to me, but it did raise concerns about how long people would be able to play games on a PS4/5 and I think that's what ultimately made Sony think again about this move. The fact is, feedback from fans has humbled Sony enough to change their mind, so this is a result. It was a similar thing when Microsoft first announced the XB1 and we (as the gaming community) managed to turn that around as well. I gave Microsoft another chance as did others and it humbled Microsoft into making better choices in the future, let's see if Sony do the same. 

Microsoft got shafted for many years because of that Kinetics stuff so they learned their lesson but with the decisions I've seen Sony has been making, it really concerns me.

This news seriously made my day! NGL, Sony shouldn’t have even formally closed the PS Vita/PS3 store for another few years at least. Heck, why does it even have to really close in this digital age? (Hint: money probably)

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

I assume this could be they checking out the demand from public before closing the channels. I remember even microsoft did this with Windows 7 and extended the deadline once. 

Microsoft extended the deadline multiple times before they finally went through with it. As for companies doing their research before getting rid of products they no longer wish to support, yeah it's not likely to happen because most are out of touch with their consumers and only respond to dollar signs.

Yeah this is one reason I like some of the Linux and other open source and open market brands who prefer the 5 year lifecycle for the products. This way they know that consumers have that much deadline for using some of those products. 

On 4/22/2021 at 2:29 AM, skyfire said:

Yeah this is one reason I like some of the Linux and other open source and open market brands who prefer the 5 year lifecycle for the products. This way they know that consumers have that much deadline for using some of those products. 

With things like video game platforms, it's a bit more tricky because you'll have a good amount of fans who'll probably like the platform and aren't ready to move on from it. The thing is, if Sony wants to go this route, they need to make sure they offer another way of getting support for those platforms.

8 hours ago, Patrik said:

Big companies taking the opinions of their users on consideration? that's a rarity these days

By the decisions they take, you can just tell that they're listening to someone who has never even used any of their products before. It's only when they face a lot of backlash that they come to their senses.

14 hours ago, Patrik said:

Big companies taking the opinions of their users on consideration? that's a rarity these days

Microsoft has done that though. I must say they were evil company when the bill gates was leader. but now they do listen for small things and are pretty much community favorite on and off gaming market.