Register Now
Shagger

I'm Loosing my Mass Effect Virginity

I've bought Mass Effect Legendary Edition and so thusly jumping into this iconic franchise for the first time. I don't really know why I've never played this game until now, it just sort of passed me by. I don't really regret that though because this new version offers some superb value with the original trilogy and all of thier combined DLC content in one convenient package. Shows that even EA can get shit right on occasion, but the fact there is 40 DLC's across these three games in the first place does bring me back to reality somewhat 😆.

Still, really enjoyed the first few hours so far, although navigating the Citadel (if I'm getting that right) is a bit of a pain.

What do you think of this version of the game, what hints and tip can you offer and what do you think of the franchise in general?

If you are a newcomer the price is very reasonable. But as someone who owns all three games with all the DLCs except for the cosmetic stuff, I feel insulted that they expect me to pay full price for the legendary edition. I want to play it, but not until the price becomes sg I find acceptable.

I found the first citadel visit tedious and boring on my first try, didn't even get through it. I needed a lot of convincing to give the a game a second chance, but I'm glad I did.  The game really comes into its element when the galaxy map opens up to you.

Edited by m76

Please for the love of all that is righteous, please use protection an....Oh sorry, wrong speech. Erm, I mean congratulations @Shagger and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I don't remember that much about the game since it's been a while since I've played it but Mass Effect especially the first two games were amazing.

3 hours ago, m76 said:

If you are a newcomer the price is very reasonable. But as someone who owns all three games with all the DLCs except for the cosmetic stuff, I feel insulted that they expect me to pay full price for the legendary edition. I want to play it, but not until the price becomes sg I find acceptable.

I'd begrudge a new edition of a game coming out if I had bought it new fairly recently, maybe a year or two, but these games have been out for a decade at the point.  I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money on a game you already played, but it wouldn't put me off personally after such a long time if I really wanted to.

14 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I'd begrudge a new edition of a game coming out if I had bought it new fairly recently, maybe a year or two, but these games have been out for a decade at the point.  I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money on a game you already played, but it wouldn't put me off personally after such a long time if I really wanted to.

I don't know why time should be a factor in this. They did not acknowledge long time supporters in any way. I didn't expect much just a nod, a 20% off the price or something to those who already own all three games, but nothing.

As it is us, the original fans who made mass effect the success that allowed them to create the legendary edition, and then they'd have us pay the same again as complete newcomers.  That really put me off from buying it.

23 minutes ago, m76 said:

I don't know why time should be a factor in this. They did not acknowledge long time supporters in any way. I didn't expect much just a nod, a 20% off the price or something to those who already own all three games, but nothing.

As it is us, the original fans who made mass effect the success that allowed them to create the legendary edition, and then they'd have us pay the same again as complete newcomers.  That really put me off from buying it.

I honestly don't feel like this version of the game was people in your situation, but for people like me. If you don't want to buy it because you bought it and the DLC content already, that is perfectly fair, but it's not all about you. Personally, I's say time is a factor. This isn't the same thing a a developer/publisher bringing out something like this after a year or two, that really is an insult to the fans who nought it new and it's DLC, but the age of these games that does make this a little different.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

I honestly don't feel like this version of the game was people in your situation, but for people like me. If you don't want to buy it because you bought it and the DLC content already, that is perfectly fair, but it's not all about you. Personally, I's say time is a factor. This isn't the same thing a a developer/publisher bringing out something like this after a year or two, that really is an insult to the fans who nought it new and it's DLC, but the age of these games that does make this a little different.

Well if you put it that way that might actually make it worse, completely forgetting existing fans or trying to milk them for more money. I don't know which is lower.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, m76 said:

Well if you put it that way that might actually make it worse, completely forgetting existing fans or trying to milk them for more money. I don't know which is lower.

Why are you being so cynical about this? It's a re-release of what are actually quite old games at this point for newer consoles and PC's with all the additional content included for the price of a single AAA title. Old fans may want to buy it, especially if the own the older games only on console and want to use thier newer hardware, some may not because they've already bought and experienced them, but either way nobody is forcing them to buy it. For people new to the franchise, like myself, it's very convenient and well price offer to get into the franchise for the first time.

I know it's EA we're talking about and I would leap at any chance to diss' them, but I feel I have to be honest and there is nothing fundamentally wrong with what they're doing here, at last no more than any other remastered game. On the contrary, this is one of the examples of a remaster/re-release that's much easier to justify. There are people who wanted this and for good reasons. Younger gamers who may have been too young for these games when they first came out, people who didn't own the correct hardware, didn't have the money at the time, old fans who choose to experience this version of the game, there's lots of perfectly justifiable reasons for people to want games like Mass Effect Legendary Edition to exist. Sometimes publishers handle these ideas terribly, like Activision with COD 4 Modern Warfare Remastered, so one needs to judge it on a case by case basis, and considering all perspectives and I just feel there is more good in this than bad and the only points of complaint come from this being a remaster. The "problems" stem from the issues all remasters have, not from how this one has been presented, sold and handled overall.

That doesn't mean I don't see your point, I totally do. It's not fair for people who already bought the games and thier DLC to have to fork out again to play the same shit again, especially considering that old fans could easily have spent $200+ on this overall to then have new players spent $60 or less for a better version, I get it. And you know what, maybe the should have found a way to offer or at least discount the Legendary Edition to people who already own the original three games, I'll side with you on that. The point is I try to look at these things from multiple perspectives then make a judgement rather that just my own rigid and limited perspective. This may not suit yourself and once again there is nothing wrong with that, your 100% justified in your own reasons for not wanting to buy this, but it's about millions of people who play video games, not just you. 

Edited by Shagger

I haevn't played the Legendary edition, and am just now closing in on the end of the original ME3. It took me a while to really get into the series, but once I did, I was totally hooked. I hope you love it. I don't have any great advice, really, as I play Bioware games on casual mode, but if you have specific questions, I might be able to help.

13 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

;I haevn't played the Legendary edition, and am just now closing in on the end of the original ME3. It took me a while to really get into the series, but once I did, I was totally hooked. I hope you love it. I don't have any great advice, really, as I play Bioware games on casual mode, but if you have specific questions, I might be able to help.

I'm glad you asked, because I'm having some trouble with this game:

1.  Lack of quest marking. I can use the menu to look at quest information, but can't mark it on the navigation map of the ship nor on the personal radar. Why have these systems when they can't be a marker to tell you where to go? This is really annoying as the quests, including the main story, cannot be marked accurately. All you have is the navigation on the ship and the descriptions in the details, with no real makers, just a vague description on what system you are in. It's bullshit.
  2. Difficulty Spikes. I've never seen an imbalance in difficulty like this since Dragon's Dogma. You move through an area, it's simple, then there's a point, and then it's impossible to survive. The games autosave feature lets you start right at the latest checkpoint on that level, but it's pointless because the last actual save would likely be well before this. It could be the lack of quest marking indicated, but it was not made clear as there is not level nicator for aa mission. Maybe I was levelled to low, but I had now way to tell. If I was not levelled high enough, but we can't be sure, but it's cryptic as hell. Even trying to hot go into a mission outside the main story was difficult.
  3. The vehicle drives like shit (This is based on PC controls). It's directional input is dictated the position of the mouse AND with WASD. This sounds OK in theory, but is very difficult to mange in combat. You want the vehicle to keep moving forward, but you have to turn the turret in combat. In Mass Effect, at least on PC, this means using the mouse, but this interrupts the control of direction on the keyboard. So as you turn left, you have to awkwardly and gradually start pressing A or D depending which direction you're turning to make the turn smoothly. Given that the M/K keyboard is a digital set up, this is difficult to control

I sill love this opportunity to play this game, but any help the VGR community can offer, please offer it.

Edited by Shagger

47 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I'm glad you asked, because I'm having some trouble with this game:

1.  Lack of quest marking. I can use the menu to look at quest information, but can't mark it on the navigation map of the ship nor on the personal radar. Why have these systems when they can't be a marker to tell you where to go? This is really annoying as the quests, including the main story, cannot be marked accurately. All you have is the navigation on the ship and the descriptions in the details, with no real makers, just a vague description on what system you are in. It's bullshit.
  2. Difficulty Spikes. I've never seen an imbalance in difficulty like this since Dragon's Dogma. You move through an area, it's simple, then there's a point, and then it's impossible to survive. The games autosave feature lets you start right at the latest checkpoint on that level, but it's pointless because the last actual save would likely be well before this. It could be the lack of quest marking indicated, but it was not made clear as there is not level nicator for aa mission. Maybe I was levelled to low, but I had now way to tell. If I was not levelled high enough, but we can't be sure, but it's cryptic as hell. Even trying to hot go into a mission outside the main story wan difficult.
  3. The vehicle drives like shit (This is based on PC controls). It's directional input is dictated the position of the mouse AND with WASD. This sounds OK in theory, but is very difficult to mange in combat. You want the vehicle to keep moving forward, but you have to turn the turret in combat. In Mass Effect, at least on PC, this means using the mouse, but this interrupts the control of direction on the keyboard. So as you turn left, you have to awkwardly  and gradually start pressings A to make the turn smoothly. Given that the M/K keyboard is a digital set up, this is difficult to control

I sill love this oppertunity to play this game, but any help the VGR community can offer, please offer it.

1. Lack of quest marking.

Weirdly, I don't remember getting lost much in the first game, but I got lost a ton in the third because it didn't always tell me what system to go to. I think in 2/3, you can push a button to tell you what direction to go in real-time in an area, but I don't recall if that was implemented in 1?

I WILL mention a warning here that I think mostly applied to 2/3, which is that you should get in a habit of doing side quests and such when they become available before doing main quests, as otherwise they can sometiems get disabled by your progress.

2. Difficulty spikes

ME and DA are both terrible with this. Thus the casual mode for me.

3. Vehicle

Awkward on console too, but manageable. Honestly, I got in a habit of either 1-sitting still at a vast distance and shooting when possible (works better in 2/3), and 2-just running over enemies.

I like the vehicle in the second game much better, but I don't know how the controls will translate to PC. But it is less cumbersome in how it moves.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, m76 said:

Seriously, if the fans are getting milked for more money and still get something that's worth the money spent, I believe it's a fair offer. 

I played the first mass effect for about 10 hours before giving up , I agree the first Mass effect is very rough around the edges, I was simply not enjoing the game at all. Sure it was released back in 2007 and its not really up to today's standards so its not exactly a bad game but I just felt it was not worth my time. But Mass Effect 2 on the other hand is great, it fixed most of the flaws with the first game and I have been enjoying it so far, right now Im 22 hours into the game.

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I played the first mass effect for about 10 hours before giving up , I agree the first Mass effect is very rough around the edges, I was simply not enjoing the game at all. Sure it was released back in 2007 and its not really up to today's standards so its not exactly a bad game but I just felt it was not worth my time. But Mass Effect 2 on the other hand is great, it fixed most of the flaws with the first game and I have been enjoying it so far, right now Im 22 hours into the game.

Well, in my book that's how game's companies should work with their games. If the first release isn't that good, fix and upgrade it in the next release and so on.