Register Now
StaceyPowers

Autistic kid gets into trouble for repeating lines from Red Dead Redemption

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8/7/2044351/-Outrage-As-Cobb-County-Georgia-Grade-Schooler-Charged-With-What-Amounts-To-Felony-Autism

Summary: Autistic kid repeats lines from RDR at school, gets charged with felony.

Ridiculous. I am autistic, and like that kid, I do echolalia (repeating lines from things as a stim). Not sure if the school is ignorant about echolalia, prejudiced toward autistic persons, or hates video games.

I wish I could say I was surprised. Anyone a little "different" is a prime target for abuse and general bigotry. I've been through it as well. I'm not autistic, but I have my issues. But charging an 11 year old child with a felony because he was reiterating something he saw in a fucking game is going so far beyond ridiculous that I can't even begin to measure it. But I do agree with the article.

Felony depression.
Felony OCD.
Felony schizophrenia.
Felony bi-polar.
Felony Tourettes.
Felony Down syndrome.

Where does it end? For that matter, why the fuck did it even start?

1 hour ago, Demon_skeith said:

The kid should get into trouble, but not to the full extent that a normal person should. Common sense should be used in situations like these.

Seriously, he was actually way out of the line and something really needed to be done about that to avoid further occurrence. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, he was actually way out of the line and something really needed to be done about that to avoid further occurrence. 

I agree there should be some punishment but we have to consider his state, so the parents should be held responsible. But then again it's the most sensitive country in the world America, so I can see why they will charge the poor kid.

11 minutes ago, Shole said:

I agree there should be some punishment but we have to consider his state, so the parents should be held responsible. But then again it's the most sensitive country in the world America, so I can see why they will charge the poor kid.

Yeah, it's true that the parents needs to be questioned as well because in general sense, they let it happen. 

59 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, it's true that the parents needs to be questioned as well because in general sense, they let it happen. 

I work with kids so I must say it's though, not everyone has the time or the money to give everyone the attention and the right upbringing. But oh well hopefully as our collective mind gets better we get better as a whole.

1 hour ago, Shole said:

I work with kids so I must say it's though, not everyone has the time or the money to give everyone the attention and the right upbringing. But oh well hopefully as our collective mind gets better we get better as a whole.

Actually, I do agree with you on this about how it's difficult to train kids because they can be very annoying. But, they are kids no matter how difficult it gets, if you make time for them, you can easily tame them. 

7 hours ago, Shole said:

As an American I can confirm this. This country is so damn pussy whipped that it's pathetic. Everyone is actively looking for something to freak out about, even if they have to make it up. Central Park Karen is a prime example of this.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

As an American I can confirm this. This country is so damn pussy whipped that it's pathetic. Everyone is actively looking for something to freak out about, even if they have to make it up. Central Park Karen is a prime example of this.

Seriously, it's what we wake up to see the great country becoming over the past few years and it's getting worse by the day. 

They are using an autistic person to set an example of as a threat while condoning the same behavior in others that are their peers or higher up in social status. The question is how do we discipline an autistic child? Clearly, it’s wrong what he said. And police should have the right to question him and the parents in case there could be issues at home. Then again, police are known for twisting questions in a way with children to manipulate them. A normal thing to do is to get a court order for family or personal counseling for the child. But that might not be appropriate for someone autistic, unless he sees someone that specializes in it. And maybe he should see someone. But a felony? Welcome to manhood where you become a man at 10 years old if you are black, brown, or autistic.

The problem is that a lot of people equate mental issues (especially autism) with stupidity. And everyone knows the line "You can't fix stupid." Autism is not stupidity. There is a wide spectrum of different types and severity, but autistic people are often brilliant beyond the general populace. A little different, and sometimes what most would call "odd", but in no way stupid.

Yet there is some willfully ignorant dumbass out there saying "Well the kid should have known better." Well asshole, the kid is 10 years old and autistic. Autism aside, at ten years old, most kids don't understand the repercussions of saying something like that. Do you have any idea the shit I said when I was ten? If I said it publicly now, I would be in federal lockup for the rest of my life. Yet no one cared and it was overlooked because I was a child.

And from what I read in the article, (correct me if I'm wrong) the child doesn't even know what a felony is, or why he's in trouble. Now I'm not arguing that he does need a talking to, and an explanation of why he can't say things like that. Maybe his parents should give him different games that aren't as violent. But a felony charge is so far beyond out of line and uncalled for that the judicial system needs to be charged with multiple felonies in this case.

The child made a mistake. It's human nature to fuck up in life. No one is beyond that. If needed, give the person the guidance they need to remedy the situation, and help them learn from their mistake.

BUT THE KID DIDN'T BURN ANYONE OR ANYTHING DOWN SO THE COPS NEED TO FUCK OFF.

Edited by The Blackangel

53 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The child made a mistake. It's human nature to fuck up in life. No one is beyond that. If needed, give the person the guidance they need to remedy the situation, and help them learn from their mistake.

BUT THE KID DIDN'T BURN ANYONE OR ANYTHING DOWN SO THE COPS NEED TO FUCK OFF.

The cops need to question the family because in today's world you don't know if the parents say extremist things around the kid. And being autistic, he probably takes some things literally if he is around a toxic environment. I'm not saying this is the case, and most likely isn't, but if the child's parents are extremists and talking about violence and bigotry around him then the cops need to question them.