Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you want from the Fallout TV series?

You might be aware Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy are apparently adapting Fallout into a series for Amazon Prime.

What do you want to see from the series? I don’t think there is a particular place/time I’d demand, but as long as the tone is right, the weird humour is intact, and the social commentary the games make is also present, I’ll be excited.

This a very different thing for me than the upcoming series based on The Last of Us on HBO. So long as the series follows Fallout's very distinctive style and confirms t the established lore, that's enough to make it an adequate adaptation. What it will make it a great show, and this is what will make this very different to what The Last of Us TV series, what they do with this story, the protagonist and setting. Every Fallout game has been different in this regard, so I would actually be disappointed to find this follow one of the games. This should be a story all of it's own in the Fallout universe. Now, Fallout is obviously a very choice based, open RPG experience as a game, so it would be impractical, if not impossible, to emulate that in the storytelling medium of a television series because they can't accurately emulate the role play of every viewers expectations and desires. All we can do is observe the characters story in this version of Fallout. So, for the shows sake, I hope the writers are up to the job of creating an enjoyable and compelling experience, but also hope the viewers accept thier role as an observer in this show and drop some of the entitlement that comes from being in control of a roleplay experience.

Edited by Shagger

Fallout lore is a bit confusing at times so I say as long as it follows the world's feeling of hopelessness and despair along with the survival of the fittest theme, it'll do just fine. They could use the vents of Chernobyl as inspiration on the consequences of nuclear disasters. I really hope it does well and I'm willing to give it a chance so let's see if they can pull it off.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't think they would do that because they'd be accused of being lazy and Fallout fans would be in an uproar. I'd prefer something more unique...

Well, if they go about it with a good strategy, I'm very sure that they would come up with something that's really going to be worth it and loved. 

On 9/2/2021 at 1:55 AM, killamch89 said:

I don't think they would do that because they'd be accused of being lazy and Fallout fans would be in an uproar. I'd prefer something more unique...

What you have in minde then, GTA? maybe, as a RPing game anyway with mods you can make any film from that.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, Empire said:

They should make a tv series out of the high quality roleplaying in FO76. That will be surely entertaining.

Wasn't that "high quality roleplaying" slammed by pretty much every single Fallout fan?  Most of the story was told through audio logs, most of the quests were boring busy work and the "NPC's" were computer's.

I'm definitely in favour of them doing an original story, there are tons of settings and parts of the timeline that haven't been explored yet.