Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Facebook Oculus Quest changing name to Meta Quest and no more need of facebook login for VR headset?

Facebook is going through some changes and one of those is changing its name from Facebook to Meta which also is changing the name of Oculus Quest to Meta Quest starting 2022. There was controversy that you needed a Facebook account in order to log in to your Oculus, but now they are no longer going to require that. People were getting confused whether their Oculus was tied to their personal or professional Facebook account. So maybe the name change is a good thing to give Oculus or Meta Quest a refreshing start. So hopefully we will no longer have to sign in to a social platform for our gaming needs. 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22751220/facebook-portal-oculus-quest-meta-horizon-renaming

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

Needing to log into Facebook to use Oculus Rift was a steaming pile of bullshit from minute one and I'm glad they're getting rid of that. A VR headset and a social media account don't connect in any at all, so why they decided it was necessary to log into to Facebook to use the damn thing was mind boggling and I guarantee you that hurt the sales of the Oculus Rift headset.

Edited by Shagger

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

If you ask me, it's a good development all round because having to bypass two phases of login through Facebook is cutting out a little bit stress. 

I really don't know the reason behind the Oculus headset which is attached by the potential new Facebook name that will come into limelight. Anyone knows? 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm definitely not interested in any Oculus headsets or joining Facebook's metaverse. Right now, I hardly even use my Facebook account. I don't want Facebook to be involved in my life in any significant way.

I have been using the social media platform for years now and it's no longer fun the way it used to be. It's all about marketing that's been done with it now. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm definitely not interested in any Oculus headsets or joining Facebook's metaverse. Right now, I hardly even use my Facebook account. I don't want Facebook to be involved in my life in any significant way.

Facebook have actually being a social Media platform that has been dwindling in its popularity for me over the years which is why I've already taken my time off the platform and go into other stuff that matter very well for me, so I don't really think this is going to be something I will be taking interesting to.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:26 AM, Justin11 said:

I really don't know the reason behind the Oculus headset which is attached by the potential new Facebook name that will come into limelight. Anyone knows? 

Summary of it all is that initially, you would need to login into your Facebook account to be able to make use of the Oculus headset but since the name upgrade, you don't need to anymore. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Summary of it all is that initially, you would need to login into your Facebook account to be able to make use of the Oculus headset but since the name upgrade, you don't need to anymore. 

Okay, that's wonderful now, that the collaboration of Facebook and Oculus, make such easy to access the Oculus headset. But truth be told, I'm not even interested in this Oculus headset. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

This solves a big problem for the likes of myself who aren't a big fan of making use of Facebook for any reason whatsoever. 

Yeah not a fan of Facebook making it a requirement to sign into facebook. But I heard rumors that was going to change so that you didn't need to sign in. I can't find the article, but I swear I heard something about that change. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Facebook knows that, if they subject it as a 'must for users to sign up using a VR headset, it will cause stir, and lots of people will feel disappointed. Cos, not everyone can afford VR at its current price. 

Edited by Justin11