Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the oldest game you still play regularly?

This is the type of question that drives me nuts. There's so many kids here that think the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 are retro consoles. They are some of the furthest from retro. If you want to enter that era you have to start at the early 1990's and go back into the 1980's to 1970's. 2 bit graphics to 16 bit graphics is retro, or as I call it, classic. Even 64 bit is classic. The N64/PS1 era is classic gaming. Anything after that; NOT retro. You kids haven't experienced the best gaming has to offer.

AND THAT FUCKING FLASHBACK SHIT DOES NOT COUNT

18 hours ago, StormyFire said:

As another person said, it would probably be Age of Empires II for me. I never much liked the others. There's something about AoE II that makes it the most fun.

How about Pac-Man? Did you ever get into playing the game when it came out newly? 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, The Blackangel said:

This is the type of question that drives me nuts. There's so many kids here that think the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 are retro consoles. They are some of the furthest from retro. If you want to enter that era you have to start at the early 1990's and go back into the 1980's to 1970's. 2 bit graphics to 16 bit graphics is retro, or as I call it, classic. Even 64 bit is classic. The N64/PS1 era is classic gaming. Anything after that; NOT retro. You kids haven't experienced the best gaming has to offer.

To the days of the Atari 2600 (mind you I didn't own one but I did hear about it when I was an infant). The Sega Dreamcast should also be included in the classic gaming category seeing as it came out in the 90s as well.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, The Blackangel said:

For many of them it is. We're getting older, and so are kids. I think it's fair to say that Wii, 360 and PS3 are getting to that point. Most kids who have played them are hitting their teen years and are becoming adults. For them it's becoming nostalgic to talk about their 360s and Playstation 3s. Lets remember that the 360 and PS3 are nearing 20 years of age themselves. 2005 and 2006 I believe is when they released. That's a long time ago for video games. 

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To the days of the Atari 2600 (mind you I didn't own one but I did hear about it when I was an infant). The Sega Dreamcast should also be included in the classic gaming category seeing as it came out in the 90s as well.

Dreamcast came out just a couple years after the N64, so I guess it could be included. Sega Genesis is definitely a classic system. It's add-ons like the 32x and Sega CD, are odd, and a mayor league pain in the ass due to how they were designed (A separate god damn power cord for the 32x? Seriously?) but they were still interesting. The Nerd sums them up exceptionally well.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Dreamcast came out just a couple years after the N64, so I guess it could be included. Sega Genesis is definitely a classic system. It's add-ons like the 32x and Sega CD, are odd, and a mayor league pain in the ass due to how they were designed (A separate god damn power cord for the 32x? Seriously?) but they were still interesting. The Nerd sums them up exceptionally well.

This is actually why till date, I'm still in love with my Sega Genesis console. It's uniqueness sets it apart from the crowd. 

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I can't really remember the last time I played my Dreamcast. It's just there in my storage wasting and it really hurts seeing that. 

Also, I think due to the 360 and PS3 being discontinued and their online services being dropped (likely soon if not already), I think they fit the retro category, as they no longer have support and are obsolete. Yeah you can still game online to some extent, but they're systems that aren't as usable as they once were.