Register Now
kingpotato

Games where you have to take care of your character's health

Earlier today while playing Red Redemption I was feeding my character cause he was hungry, but at the same time I myself was starving cause I had only had a coffee and no breakfeast. 😆

Anyway there is a bunch of games where you have to constantly check your character's well being like making sure they are not cold or hot by having the appropiate clothing like in Red Dead Redemption 2 or Zelda Breath of the Wild or the survival moden in Skyrim and Fallout New vegas where you also have to be carefull with the weather and also making sure of feeding your character and making sure that they get some ingame sleep.

Do you know of any other games like this?

FB_IMG_1648877585548.jpg

Hmm, I never get to play such game Mr Royal Ranger, when I get into such kind of game, I'll definitely come here to comment lol. Your first message is just hilarious for me, I wonder how on Earth, such gonna be possible to feed my character in-game, such might be possible in VR gaming. 

Kingdom come deliverance forces you to eat, not only that but food can get spoiled over time and your character will remind you when they are hungry. You will here the phrase i'm feeling kinda hungry quite often especially early game. It's a game everybody into rpg's and medieval period atleast should have played once.

Another game i can vaguely remember altough i don't like bringing it up is shenmue 3 i believe your health is going down if you haven't eaten in a while or when you were involved in a fight health doesen't automaticly recover. But the less said about shenmue 3, the better.

Think Far cry primal (god who remembers that game) also had something similair that you coulden't acess the snowy mountains if you diden't have a certain clothing item or you would freeze to death. Same with Biomutant where you had to obtain a special suit first before you could enter a toxic area.

I think Tamagotchi should be worth mentioning, since every kid in the late 90 ies had one of these. Man how many times mine died 😄

I can't think of many games besides those already mentioned, but it's quite common in the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) to hear your characters say they need to rest, which incurs exhaustion penalties.

This question's rather open ended because it's really just asking for games with survival elements, of which there are many. Now how many are more than just watching bars deplete is another matter entirely.

I tend to worry about my horse's health more than my own in RDR2. I do go hunting a bit to get myself some meat to cook. 5 gators nets me 25 pieces of meat to cook, which is a good start to get Arthur back up to a healthy weight. He is the hardest damn character I've ever seen to keep his weight up. He is always underweight.

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Kingdom come deliverance forces you to eat, not only that but food can get spoiled over time and your character will remind you when they are hungry. You will here the phrase i'm feeling kinda hungry quite often especially early game. It's a game everybody into rpg's and medieval period atleast should have played once.

Another game i can vaguely remember altough i don't like bringing it up is shenmue 3 i believe your health is going down if you haven't eaten in a while or when you were involved in a fight health doesen't automaticly recover. But the less said about shenmue 3, the better.

Think Far cry primal (god who remembers that game) also had something similair that you coulden't acess the snowy mountains if you diden't have a certain clothing item or you would freeze to death. Same with Biomutant where you had to obtain a special suit first before you could enter a toxic area.

I think Tamagotchi should be worth mentioning, since every kid in the late 90 ies had one of these. Man how many times mine died 😄

Totally forgot about Kingdom Come Deliverance and Far Cry Primal. If I'm not mistaken, I think KCD way of implementing it is one of the more balanced ones that doesn't feel to overbearing unlike the Sims.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:29 AM, killamch89 said:

Other than the games you just mentioned, the Sims also requires to monitor your character's health and needs. The Skyrim survival mods such as Frostfall do tend to feel quite overbearing in my opinion.

I know, I remember trying this for the first time in New Vegas and I remember it made the game more of a hassle rather than fun, same thing with Skyrim

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Ah yes the good old Tamagitchi xD mine never made it past a week, I never played Kingdom come deliverance before but I do want to try it eventually.

4 hours ago, Patrik said:

there's a toggleable option in ETS 2 too where you have to sleep or you'll start sleeping for couple of seconds in the road with the screen going black for around 2-3 seconds making you crash the game

Really hahahaha so does the truck actually stop or does the conductor just keeps going? 

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I can't think of many games besides those already mentioned, but it's quite common in the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) to hear your characters say they need to rest, which incurs exhaustion penalties.

This question's rather open ended because it's really just asking for games with survival elements, of which there are many. Now how many are more than just watching bars deplete is another matter entirely.

True many games nowadays do have some sort of survival gameplay implemented, some more than others, some only require to have a specific outfit or armor for different weather scenarios or areas and others like Baldur's Gate that require you to rest or like in RDR 2 were you need to eat constantly or your character will get slimmer (or fat) over time. Btw I only played Baldurs gate once and honestly I didnt like it that much.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I tend to worry about my horse's health more than my own in RDR2. I do go hunting a bit to get myself some meat to cook. 5 gators nets me 25 pieces of meat to cook, which is a good start to get Arthur back up to a healthy weight. He is the hardest damn character I've ever seen to keep his weight up. He is always underweight.

I know I always had the same problem with Arthur, but funny enough on the online mode my character is very overweight xD As well I agree I alwats take care of my horse more than anything , in the main game I tried to maintain my honor high, and online I tried to do the opposite but I had to constantly kill peasants because even if I had low honor I didnt want to leave my horse unattended.

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Really hahahaha so does the truck actually stop or does the conductor just keeps going? 

21 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

no it doesn't stop xd, that's what the point is, you are just stuck there for couple of seconds inside a truck that's moving without seeing anything 

26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Lazy programmers 😆 

it makes actually sense if you ask me, as avoiding sleeping causes nothing but sleeping in the road xD, remember that this option can be toggled in the game settings, so if you don't want to play a sleeping simulator then go ahead and disable it 😄

5 hours ago, Patrik said:

no it doesn't stop xd, that's what the point is, you are just stuck there for couple of seconds inside a truck that's moving without seeing anything 

What game are you guys talking about? Is it European Truck Simulator?

Edited by killamch89

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

What game are you guys talking about? Is it European Truck Simulator?

I guess so yeah

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

I wonder how that works, does it mean the game like a Berserk mode?

Such gonna definitely trigger me sleeping off, and forgot I was playing a certain game. 

Which game are you refering to ?

On 4/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, Head_Hunter said:

Hmm, I never get to play such game Mr Royal Ranger, when I get into such kind of game, I'll definitely come here to comment lol. Your first message is just hilarious for me, I wonder how on Earth, such gonna be possible to feed my character in-game, such might be possible in VR gaming. 

A lot of games have in game mechanics where you can feed your character to recover health etc. not necessarily vr