Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you feel about paying full price for new versions of games you already bought?

On 6/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, Yaramaki said:

Nintendo does it all the time when they sucked the wii u dry of it's exclusives and nobody seemed to mind that and nintendo knows damn well they can get away with it because nintendo fans happily open their wallets and pay full price again.

I personally don't mind it aslong it's priced accordingly and it has all the dlc incluced on the disc but even then i'll probably hold off until it goes on sale. 

I'll just quote my own post because it was kinda lame and could have added more to it instead of slamming nintendo fans because deep down inside i'm one myself lol.

Remasters or remakes they have been from all times, sega in particulair has been doing it for years with rereleasing their megadrive/genesis titles and you know i keep buying these compilations as i don't mind paying 30-40 bucks for them as they are great games that stood the test of time and while i have the original cartridges for these games, it's convenience that draws me in to buy them again, pop in a disk instead, being able to rewind when you fuck and above all being able to save at any given moment. 

I've seen the name of Ea pass trough here a couple of times so let's use them as an example, they did an awesome job with the Mass Effect trilogy remaster not only was it priced at 60 bucks (full price) for arguable the best trilogy in gaming only for 60 bucks that is money well worth spend and hell yeah i'll pay that for over 150 hours of gameplay on top of that considering backwards compatibility that edtion can last another 10 years. Speaking of Bioware games i'd gladly pay 60 bucks for a beefed up version of the first dragon age with all it's dlc included.

And that leaves us with another thing with remasters where i don't mind paying full price for them granted they are good games and are worth paying full price for is Dlc, if it means the game is preserved in it's entire package and i feel like supporting that yeah i'll gladly open my wallet for a remaster because at some point Dlc for a lot of games is going to be lost in time, many older racing titles like gt 5 and 6 and a couple of forza games have been completly wipped from digital store shelves.

Take the upcoming Persona 5 royal as it's getting an xbox release, as xbox is my platform of choice and best above all it's apperently getting a physical release aswell, i'll be the first in line to spend 60 bucks on it, i already have the regulair ps4 version but never got around playing it. So here is my second chance to play it, why spend another 60 bucks on a game you already own, because i want to support these jrpg physical releases that are coming to xbox aswell as much as possible. So that is another solid reason for opening my wallet again.

Like i said in my previous post i don't really mind these re-releases that much if it means somebody who wasn't old enough or missed out a game the first time around can play the game i'm fine with that if it's a game i love, i'll gladly play trough th new version a second time. But when a company is charging full price for it, it should warrant that price tag as in the bare minimum would to include all the dlc with the package and all the games.

But usually remasters aren't full priced as i see them priced around the 40 euro mark, remakes are a completly different story tough they can charge full price for that imo as it's usually a completly different game. What created this thread is the last of us remaster for ps5/pc, i'd say 40-45 bucks would be a good price entry considering you can pick up the ps4 version for probably a lot less then 40$.

and as a last note to come full circle this brings me back to my first post that Nintendo sucked the wii u dry of it's exclusives to release them as full priced versions on switch, nobody seemed to care or mind that, If for one is to blame for full priced remasters it's nintendo and they keep getting away with it.

For the two people that read my entire post, my thanks you're absolute legends.

4 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Take the upcoming Persona 5 royal as it's getting an xbox release, as xbox is my platform of choice and best above all it's apperently getting a physical release aswell, i'll be the first in line to spend 60 bucks on it, i already have the regulair ps4 version but never got around playing it. So here is my second chance to play it, why spend another 60 bucks on a game you already own, because i want to support these jrpg physical releases that are coming to xbox aswell as much as possible. So that is another solid reason for opening my wallet again.

I'm not normally one of those people who accepts 'support' without elaboration as an answer to an action, but given Xbox's handling of Japanese games and userbase, I'd say any support can only be good. The only JRPGs on their systems that come to mind are Eternal Arms, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey. And from what I understand Persona is one of those must play games, so good on them for agreeing to a port or remaster or whatever it is.

and as a last note to come full circle this brings me back to my first post that Nintendo sucked the wii u dry of it's exclusives to release them as full priced versions on switch, nobody seemed to care or mind that, If for one is to blame for full priced remasters it's nintendo and they keep getting away with it.

I concur, but if I were in Satoru Iwata's place I'd do the same: people will continue paying for it. Gamers are often their own worst enemies by perpetuating issues they complain about. Quote the man himself from his book, Ask Iwata: "After a piece of hardware is released, the price is gradually reduced for five years until demand has run its course. But since the demand cycle never fails, why bother reducing the price this way? My personal take on the situation is that if you lower the price over time, the manufacturer is conditioning the customer to wait for a better deal, something I've always thought to be a strange approach. Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm against lowering prices entirely, but I've always wanted to avoid a situation where the first people to step up and support us feel punished for paying top dollar, grumbling, "I guess this is the price I pay for being first in line." Emphasis my own.

Unlike PC game publishers and Steam as a platform, Nintendo have trained their customers that there's not going to be that better a deal or steep a discount. I suppose the problem PC faced was piracy (though piracy numbers have always been unhelpfully exaggerated), what with Gabe Newell wanting to offer a better safer service than illegal sites, and that likely meant selling games for a lot less.

I don't like Nintendo's approach as a customer of theirs myself, but I appreciate at least where Iwata was coming from nonetheless.

For the two people that read my entire post, my thanks you're absolute legends.

Always a pleasure, never a trial!

Any remaster to a game that I already own, I won't buy. It's not really worth it in my eyes since a majority of remasters are just in relation to better graphics, and maybe a change in some of the voices or other aspects. There isn't really much to sway me to rebuy a game I already own.

45 minutes ago, Syntax said:

Any remaster to a game that I already own, I won't buy. It's not really worth it in my eyes since a majority of remasters are just in relation to better graphics, and maybe a change in some of the voices or other aspects. There isn't really much to sway me to rebuy a game I already own.

What about a remake of the game that you have previously owned and not just a remaster of the game this time around? Would you get it even as it's being sold at a full rice or not at all just as you're not getting a remaster? 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

What about a remake of the game that you have previously owned and not just a remaster of the game this time around? Would you get it even as it's being sold at a full rice or not at all just as you're not getting a remaster? 

With a remaster, it's essentially just the same game with updated visuals and graphics. But a remake is essentially a game usually built from the ground up, with changed animations, voice acting, and even changes to the story and key gameplay moments. A remaster would be something like Sleeping Dogs remastered. It's just a fancier port with updated visuals, but the main aspect of the game stays the same. 

A remake, would be something like what they did with RE 1, 2, and I think 3. Those are remakes, because if they were to just remaster those games, they would look a lot closer to their original release, and also likely play that way too. 

When their is remake of a certain game it is expected to add some exciting features from it's original and not being a shadow of it's original version. Such kind of games doesn't worth a dime from us, I'll regret it if unfortunately I spend money for such kind of game. 

On 8/17/2022 at 12:03 AM, Kane99 said:

With a remaster, it's essentially just the same game with updated visuals and graphics. But a remake is essentially a game usually built from the ground up, with changed animations, voice acting, and even changes to the story and key gameplay moments. A remaster would be something like Sleeping Dogs remastered. It's just a fancier port with updated visuals, but the main aspect of the game stays the same. 

A remake, would be something like what they did with RE 1, 2, and I think 3. Those are remakes, because if they were to just remaster those games, they would look a lot closer to their original release, and also likely play that way too. 

Remakes that are perfectly developed are always worth playing. Yeah, you would have to contend with getting the game on a full price because it's just the game's companies pattern now. The way I see remasters is more like a correction on their initial release poor graphics. 

On 8/19/2022 at 12:28 AM, Heatman said:

Remakes that are perfectly developed are always worth playing. Yeah, you would have to contend with getting the game on a full price because it's just the game's companies pattern now. The way I see remasters is more like a correction on their initial release poor graphics. 

I haven't played a lot of Remakes though but I intend to play the Remake of resident evil 4 and it's going to be out in 2023.

I really do hate the fact that companies can get away with charging customers full price for a game they already paid for previously just because it's a 'new version' of the game that you already have. I can understand them wanting to make something from a new version of a game but if someone has the original version of the game and they want to upgrade to the new version, they should at least get some kind of discount incentive for that upgrade and not just "nope, pay the $70 or lose out" 

It's a shame that game developers have let themselves get that greedy and I can only hope in the future things will change in regards to that.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:14 AM, Shortie said:

I really do hate the fact that companies can get away with charging customers full price for a game they already paid for previously just because it's a 'new version' of the game that you already have. I can understand them wanting to make something from a new version of a game but if someone has the original version of the game and they want to upgrade to the new version, they should at least get some kind of discount incentive for that upgrade and not just "nope, pay the $70 or lose out" 

It's a shame that game developers have let themselves get that greedy and I can only hope in the future things will change in regards to that.

It been that way for a longer period, a Remake of a video game or even a dlc is sold at a full price sometimes higher than the price of the original version.

I know game fans would still purchase this video games regardless of the price.