Register Now
Kane99

Skate is officially coming back!

Yes about damn time. I know it was kinda in the works, but to see actual proof of it being worked on, is exciting to me. Albeit, it's not much considering it's like pre-pre-pre alpha, and clearly has a ton of work. But it looks like you can actually sign up to play test it so that you can actually help mold the game into what Skate should be. I'm thinking of signing up, just so I can get in there as soon as I can. 

even though it’s SUPER early in development, this game looks insane! both of the walking and skating animations are so smooth and realistic and the graphics on what the final product should look like looks amazing and detailed to the smallest touch. Skate 3 was my game when I was 10 years old and that 10 year old little boy in me came back as i watched this. keep taking as much time as you need, skate.

Some more news came out. The new Skate isn't going to be called Skate 4 like many thought, it'll just be called Skate and I hear it's going to be free to play and will be supported for years to come. 

If that's true, I'm kinda hyped about that. I don't mind live service games, as long as they don't require you to purchase anything. And from the sounds of it, they're just going to be cosmetics for the most part. 

You can read more on that news here - https://news.yahoo.com/ea-skate-free-to-play-live-service-full-circle-210009151.html

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Some more news came out. The new Skate isn't going to be called Skate 4 like many thought, it'll just be called Skate and I hear it's going to be free to play and will be supported for years to come. 

If that's true, I'm kinda hyped about that. I don't mind live service games, as long as they don't require you to purchase anything. And from the sounds of it, they're just going to be cosmetics for the most part. 

You can read more on that news here - https://news.yahoo.com/ea-skate-free-to-play-live-service-full-circle-210009151.html

I couldn't agree with you less. EA turning it into FTP "Live Service" has killed the game stone dead for me. It'going to predetory, greedy mess with the a standered for quality and morality lower than a Badger's Badger. Terrible news for fans of the series.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:29 AM, Shagger said:

I couldn't agree with you less. EA turning it into FTP "Live Service" has killed the game stone dead for me. It'going to predetory, greedy mess with the a standered for quality and morality lower than a Badger's Badger. Terrible news for fans of the series.

Agree to disagree. I think it could be what keeps the series alive, as long as they don't make it where you need to buy shit to succeed. If they give me a game where I can skate without limitations, I don't really care. 

As long as they don't charge for upgrades, special abilities etc I think it'll be fine. I don't much care for cosmetics, so that's not a problem for me. 

I really like playing skates back then , though I know this thread is just about skates but I feel it is important to mention another game just like it I feel you would enjoy as well.

So a few days ago I started playing this game released earlier this month called Olli Olli world an open world game where you take on different territories and different opponents on skates, it quite interesting ,good graphics and story line.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:45 AM, Kane99 said:

Not that I'm a big fan of the game but for just exploration sakes, I'm going to give it a go and see how it makes me feel. I know very well that some gamers are for Live Service and others very much against it but let's see how it's going be with the game. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

Not that I'm a big fan of the game but for just exploration sakes, I'm going to give it a go and see how it makes me feel. I know very well that some gamers are for Live Service and others very much against it but let's see how it's going be with the game. 

It's not out yet, but sounds like 2023 will be the year we can play it. I'm excited to play it. 

Love service games get a lot of hate, and I understand why, but I feel if it's done right, it could work for both the devs and the fans. Just gotta make sure EA doesn't cause it to back to being greedy. Which is a real possibility. 

20 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

It's not out yet, but sounds like 2023 will be the year we can play it. I'm excited to play it. 

Love service games get a lot of hate, and I understand why, but I feel if it's done right, it could work for both the devs and the fans. Just gotta make sure EA doesn't cause it to back to being greedy. Which is a real possibility. 

The said the trigger words: Live service game and this is EA we're talking about - this is going to fail miserably and you know EA is going to screw themselves over. It's their way of operating.

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Just gotta make sure EA doesn't cause it to back to being greedy. Which is a real possibility. 

Yeah, that's the only challenge that's likely to come up with the game once it's released because we already know EA and what they are capable of. They will most likely get predetory with how they use it because the money is always their priority. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:46 PM, killamch89 said:

The said the trigger words: Live service game and this is EA we're talking about - this is going to fail miserably and you know EA is going to screw themselves over. It's their way of operating.

That is very likely to happen, especially with EA involved. But I do have some hopes that the team behind Skate are given the freedom to do what they want and not what EA tells them to do. Honestly, if it's like Fortnite for example, I'd have no issue with it, because in that regard, you can play the game all the way through without having to pay a single cent. But of course, if you want to get all of those unlocks for the season, you have to pay $10-$15 a season. 

The reason I can see it working, is because Fortnite changes every season, they always seem to do something new and fresh. If Skate can replicate that type of live service game, and make it work, I honestly think it would go over fine. But, maybe I'm too hopeful, because the track record with EA is hard to overlook. But, we'll see. 

On 7/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, killamch89 said:

At some point, I think that EA doesn't care about what's going to happen with some of the games they do that because they are very much convinced they would have lots of their loyal fans that's never going to mind and pay whatever that's needed to be paid for without holding back. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I feel like EA may be starting to let their devs do their thing. I at least hope that's the case. If EA actually allowed their devs to do their own thing, and take as much time as needed to finish a game, then I don't think EA would be this hated. 

That's most likely going to be the last thing EA would be open to doing from the way I see them with their game policies. In fact, I believe that if it's possible for them to make all their games to be on yearly releases, they would do that without any care or consideration.