Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you play old editions of sports games?

I don’t play sports games, so I have always wondered something. If you buy new editions of sports games every year, what happens to the old ones? Are you just done with them? Or do you return to old editions now and again to relive past seasons or because some of them were especially good?

I do. I have an emulated version of ESPN NFL 2K5 that has updated rosters and stuff. It's still the game from 2004, but it plays great to this day. It's one of my favorite sports games, becuase imo, it was the last best NFL football game to come out, before EA decided to hoard the license for the NFL. 

I'm not really into sports games, although I loved playing the old ones with my friends growing up RBI baseball, He had the NES, but I was a PC gamer with F1 series games. I have played F1 2016 and 2021. But they aren't new or old. 

But never lpayed anyhting older if I'm aware 

I still play Double Dribble on NES. I also play NCAA Basketball on SNES. I play hockey on Atari 2600 and NES. Aside from those few, I don't play sports games. They just don't appeal to me. But those are classics, so all is forgiven. Granted I have a ton of sports games for my Atari 2600, but I just haven't really gotten around to playing the majority of them yet.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I still play Double Dribble on NES. I also play NCAA Basketball on SNES. I play hockey on Atari 2600 and NES. Aside from those few, I don't play sports games. They just don't appeal to me. But those are classics, so all is forgiven. Granted I have a ton of sports games for my Atari 2600, but I just haven't really gotten around to playing the majority of them yet.

I need to pick up more of the retro sports games. They're really the only sports games I think are worth collecting, especially since Madden and others had to start those yearly releases and not innovate on making anything new and worthwhile. 

But yeah, I don't see most people wanting to collect newer sports games, mainly because they're all the same. Maybe someone who wants to build a full collection of games, but I don't see many others bothering with the past 10-15 years of sports games. Or unless they're the fun ones like NBA Street, NBA Jam, SSX tricky and more. 

With FIFA games, it's even the older versions of the game that really made sense more than what they have released recently. I have FIFA 21 but I still go back to my older one's in FIFA 2010. I never got FIFA 22 and I'm sure that FIFA 21 would be my last buy of the franchise. 

Not as much as i like to anymore, the same counts for anything retro, i'd like to start playing more retro again but there is only so much time in the day that i usually tend to grab more towards a modern game when i've got some spare time to game.

Many older sports games are still plenty of fun to play especially the ones on the neo geo like big tournament golf, Windjammers and baseball stars are still worth playing today, they are also tough to master so you'll be up for quite a challenge.

Nhl 94 is the best ice hockey game ever especially together with a friend, Many older tiger woods games are much better then the recent released crap. The gamecube had a few exclusive sports games like beach spikers, virtua striker and offcourse the mario games i used to pop in every once in a while. Offcourse there are also the whole Street series from ea big, that have held up quite well and are great for short burst of gameplay if you don't have much time.

Fifa 13 i boot up every once in a while, not to play the game but to listen to the exellent soundtrack while doing something else.

I am soccer lover, but currently I don't play games rated to soccer. Instead I choose to play racing games, and racing belongs to sports category. I play both old and new, unless I don't have money to upgrade my racing games. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I am soccer lover, but currently I don't play games rated to soccer. Instead I choose to play racing games, and racing belongs to sports category. I play both old and new, unless I don't have money to upgrade my racing games. 

I still play Need for Speed : Most Wanted till date and it's arguably the best of the game's series. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

I still play Need for Speed : Most Wanted till date and it's arguably the best of the game's series. 

Most of the users I've shared conversation with all said, NFS most wanted is the best in the series history, and no dispute, it is the best in the series history for me too. I played couple of NFS series games, from 'underwold down to 'most wanted. I love 'most wanted features more than other editions. 

Oh I'd also include the older wwe wrestling games. Also some of the wcw games. Especially the PS2 here comes the pain game. I love that game and could play it every so often. I got some of the newer ones that came out on the 360, I think it was 2011 and 2009. Still need to play them. I hear the story modes are weird. 

On 7/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, Justin11 said:

Most of the users I've shared conversation with all said, NFS most wanted is the best in the series history, and no dispute, it is the best in the series history for me too. I played couple of NFS series games, from 'underwold down to 'most wanted. I love 'most wanted features more than other editions. 

It's just like what you get to enjoy playing Burnout 3 : Takedown. It's the very best in the game's franchise. If I'm ever repeating any game's in the Burnout series, it's going to be Burnout 3 : Takedown first before any other one's. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

It's just like what you get to enjoy playing Burnout 3 : Takedown. It's the very best in the game's franchise. If I'm ever repeating any game's in the Burnout series, it's going to be Burnout 3 : Takedown first before any other one's. 

That's cool to hear. I will take up any burnout series game anytime, I've played couple of it's games, notably 'burnout paradise and this one you mentioned here.