Register Now
Kane99

Games with unnecessary cutscenes

What are some games that have unnecessary cutscenes? Like when a game has a cutscene for everything you do, or cutscenes that you don't think are really needed to advance the story. The article below lists a few games that have maybe a little too many cutscenes. I have yet to play Death Stranding, but they bring that up, as I guess the final mission is 2 hours of cutscenes with small segments of gameplay in between. They also mention MGS4. 

I haven't played any of the games on the list, but I know Kojima loves to produce movies in his games. From MGS1 to the current game, he has always implemented long cutscenes in his games. Especially with MGS 2, 3 and probably 5 as well. MGS 3 I played the most out of the bunch, and I remember it having a ton of cutscenes, but I never felt like it was too much. 

Anyway, read more about this here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/video-games-with-unnecessary-cutscenes/ar-AA11HLaC

Name off some other games you find to have cutscenes that go too long, or cutscenes  that are unnecessary. 

I think it counts, but I kinda get annoyed with RDR2 when you loot people and skin animals. They always have to do a little cutscene, or animation of Arthur looting people and skinning the animal. I know sometimes you can loot someone and it'll go faster by just reaching out. But yeah, it probably doesn't count, but it can get annoying when you want to play the game a bit faster. Would be kinda cool to turn those animations off to move the gameplay along a bit faster. 

There’s a handful of those on the PS1 and Saturn when they were called FMV’s.

I forgot about it a bit until I played the 3DS port of Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, and random FMV’s all over the place. I was like “yup, it’s a Saturn game”

1: The Witcher 3. The cut scenes for the main quest line seem to drag on and on. Then there's the Novigrad arc, which is 90% walking from cut scene to cut scene for what seems like 10-15 hours of the game.

2: Red Dead Redemption 2. All those annoying mini-cut-scenes and long, drawn-out animations whenever you try to do anything.

3: Dark Souls 2. Technically not cut scenes, but when an NPC has an item to give you, you always have to exhaust their entire dialogue queue in order to get it. This usually means talking to each NPC you meet 10+ times, which gets old really fast.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:59 PM, killamch89 said:

Final Fantasy is probably the biggest culprit on this list - I love Final Fantasy but I've always been annoyed with these freaking 15 minute movie trailers throughout the game that are unskippable and to make matters worse, if you fail, you'll have to watch it all over again!

Seriously, it's like a signature move for Square Enix with their Final Fantasy franchise. I'm already bracing up myself very well for what they are going to do with it in their next Final Fantasy 16 that's coming out in 2023. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, Heatman said:

Seriously, it's like a signature move for Square Enix with their Final Fantasy franchise. I'm already bracing up myself very well for what they are going to do with it in their next Final Fantasy 16 that's coming out in 2023. 

It's not going to stop and that's the worst part. The Guardians' special moves always have these long cutscenes that I also get tired of seeing - like for God's sake, the first time it looked impressive but after the millionth time it's like "Hurry up dammit!"

Their was a game I played during my PS2 days called 'Machinery', this game has lots of cutscenes. I didn't expect such to occur all the time in the game, but it keeps surfacing, making my time weird seeing cutscenes when I don't want them. Because, they are time wasters when I'm serious over a game that gives me tough time to progress to another level. 

10 hours ago, Syntax said:

GTA V Online (who cares at the end of the job I see what happens if it's more than my first time playing through it), Red Dead has that same aspect sometimes

Those are only a couple of seconds to a minute at most, just 10-15 cutscenes from a Final Fantasy game would take up almost as much time as a movie. You're talking about cutscenes as long as 5-7 minutes and if you died, you have to go through that all over again. The worst part is the long ones are normally unskippable.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, Empire said:

Borderlands 3, holy cow the fact that creating a new character has to start with 20 minutes of unskipable trash is almost enough for me to never want to try a new character.

Lol.

More reasons as to why I shouldn't bother about trying out borderlands 3 maybe playing borderlands 2 is all I would ever need to experience from the franchise.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

I think if I am skipping cutscenes in a single player on the first playthrough I am probably already at a point where I would be better off just quitting the game.

I agree. If you're not invested in the story enough that you want to watch the cut scenes, it's probably not that great of a story.

10 hours ago, Empire said:

I think if I am skipping cutscenes in a single player on the first playthrough I am probably already at a point where I would be better off just quitting the game.

That's fair. But there are some games where I can play just for the gameplay itself, while the story isn't all that appealing. I think I had that feeling with the two Prototype games, same with the Just Cause games. I just liked playing them for the most part and the story I often skipped. 

If the game at least has good gameplay and is fun to play, I don't necessarily even need a story.