Register Now
melanie_marie27

Have you ever ruined your computer screen?

This is a warning for anyone who doesn't already know. NEVER have any kind of magnet in your hand or anywhere near a computer screen. I had a flashlight magnet in my hand while pointing to something on my brother's computer and a whole corner section got all messed up! Like...squiggly. It stayed that way too.

Have you ever ruined your computer screen? Keyboard? Messy spills,🥤cigarette ashes/burns, 🚬 etc.?

Their is nothing more painful when you accidentally destroy something you never wished to destroy, but cherished so much. I felt so pained, when I ruined my tablet screen while standing up from a chair I sat comfortably, forgotten that my phone rest in between my legs. 

On 10/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

This is a warning for anyone who doesn't already know. NEVER have any kind of magnet in your hand or anywhere near a computer screen. I had a flashlight magnet in my hand while pointing to something on my brother's computer and a whole corner section got all messed up! Like...squiggly. It stayed that way too.

Have you ever ruined your computer screen? Keyboard? Messy spills,🥤cigarette ashes/burns, 🚬 etc.?

If that happens you just need to make yourself a degaussing coil. Just take a hell of a lot of copper wire, make a big circle with it, and attach a cord to power it. Just keep it away from your PC because it WILL delete everything on it. I learned to make them in an electronics class I took 20 something years ago. It can fix the screw up on your screen. Just hold it in the middle and slowly move it to the corner. Crisis averted. The wire in a hoop like that creates a magnetic draw. It will work really well if you accidentally do it again.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:12 PM, Grungie said:

Magnets don’t mess with LCD’s like they did with CRT’s. Your speakers usually have magnets, and they don’t mess with your display.

Point taken. I used them when we still had CRT monitors. I forgot to say that it could be different under new technology. I dropped my brain somewhere in the 90's. I still haven't found the bastard.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Point taken. I used them when we still had CRT monitors. I forgot to say that it could be different under new technology. I dropped my brain somewhere in the 90's. I still haven't found the bastard.

Magnets are all over most LCD displays now. The sleep/wake mechanism on laptops and tablets work via magnets, and half the side of an iPad (for their folio case) is a magnet, same with the ones that have their styluses.

I've never ruined a screen before, they've only ever just died on me from using them. I've used a magnet on a crt screen a long time ago, but I believe it takes a lot of magnetic use to really do damage. One of my first monitors was going bad, and I think I used a magnet on it a few times because I liked how cool it looked when you did it. Yeah I was dumb. Anyway, I remember it didn't cause any damage, but when I would shut down it would show a bleeding effect on the screen. 

I've gone through a couple mice recently. One being a wireless mouse that I've grown used to. Clicking on things wasn't working, so I got a cheap amazon basics mouse recently. So far it's okay, but a bit small. I eventually want to upgrade to something bigger. 

My first desktop monitor, inter dual core got damaged completed because of rain water. I did a mistake of placing the desktop nearby window. Once during night time I slept without closing the window, on that day rain came heavily and rain drops entered into my monitor and CPU. Next day when I tried to switch ON, it shows a beep sound. Then I took it to service center and they said, its not worth of money to repair. So I got new assembled system.

I think a similar thing might have happened once decades ago with one of my first monitors, but I could hardly remember the details. What I could remember is my 27 inch iMac monitor (2012 model, I believe). Its screen burned out and I had to literally buy a new computer because of that since there's no separate CPU; the monitor IS the CPU. Ah well.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, Empire said:

Bad enought having a bug or insect inside your screen and then it gets stuck there for months on end being a messed up black little line ;( I dislike that at times and I have one little pip inside. 

Had this kind of experience in 2018 on my PC and I decided not to use it for four months. You won't enjoy doing anything on the PC when the little insect is right there.

6 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

Had this kind of experience in 2018 on my PC and I decided not to use it for four months. You won't enjoy doing anything on the PC when the little insect is right there.

Luvky enought that it's right on the left bottom of my screen near the edge and not in a bad location in the middle. 

A couple of days ago we were playing videogames on my friends PC and after a couple of hours we decided to go out for drinks only to get back and find the PC laying on the floor, our guess was the dog might have accidentally Tripped on the controller which was still connected to the PC and drag the PC down while trying to get past..

Glad the PC wasn't damaged as a result.

Edited by Justin11

I honestly did not think getting anything magnetic close to a PC screen would cause so much damage! It's good to know though as I have kids and sometimes, they do mess about with magnets around things like TV screens, so I know for future to tell them and keep they from doing it. I do know that my daughter for whatever reason decided to stick a suction cup to her phone screen, she was lucky to get it off without affecting the screen, but it did worry her. Safe to say she won't do that again!