Register Now
StaceyPowers

Speedruns

Something that can be fun as far as speedruns go would be if you had 2 full setups side by side, and you and a friend were racing each other to get to a certain point. Like if you were both playing Zelda OoT and starting from the beginning of the game when Navi was initially sent to Link, and then race each other to the point where Link pulls out the Master Sword. No game guides, no cheat codes (if any exist), and no rules regarding side stops like skulltulas or catching all the chickens in Kakariko village to get the bottle. That would actually be fun.

Yes! I'm watching speedruns these days and find them pretty interesting, i wanted to start speedrunning too, but unfortunately that needs lot of time to invest and lot of patience too as the attempts can be sometimes up to 2k or even more in order to achieve a respectable record

I don't necessarily watch speedruns myself, but I enjoy two particular YouTubers who are involved in speedrunning: Karl Jobst and tomatoanus. Karl Jobst analyses historic speedruns, both the successes and the failures, legitimate and cheated runs. tomatoanus' videos I watch because he not only speedruns but explains his logic and has some very witty commentary alongside it. Interestingly, tomatoanus uses a heart-rate monitor and a Go-Pro to show what he's seeing on his screen and keyboard for the purposes of full disclosure, and I find such things quite entertaining to peek at during his runs.

20 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I don't necessarily watch speedruns myself, but I enjoy two particular YouTubers who are involved in speedrunning: Karl Jobst and tomatoanus. Karl Jobst analyses historic speedruns, both the successes and the failures, legitimate and cheated runs. tomatoanus' videos I watch because he not only speedruns but explains his logic and has some very witty commentary alongside it. Interestingly, tomatoanus uses a heart-rate monitor and a Go-Pro to show what he's seeing on his screen and keyboard for the purposes of full disclosure, and I find such things quite entertaining to peek at during his runs.

That's disrespect, you mentionned Karl Jobst without mentionning the popular "hello you absolute legends", how dare you !!

29 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I've watched some Alien isolation speedruns myself to get ideas of how to finish the game faster but whenever I try them myself, I always die instantly.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you watch speedrun videos? And do you participate in speedruns yourself? If so, what is the appeal?

I do think I see why speedruns are entertaining, just from a “check out what I managed to do” standpoint.

In general though, I’ve never really got into it, and I actually get really annoyed if there is a section of a video game which is essentially designed as a speedrun, where you have to get through an area within X minutes or start over.

The question is whether Speedrun has any good value added to the gameplay and my personal observations is a big NO. So, I don't really see them as worth the stress. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

The question is whether Speedrun has any good value added to the gameplay and my personal observations is a big NO. So, I don't really see them as worth the stress. 

I totally agree - there is no point for this kind of mechanic in games.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree - there is no point for this kind of mechanic in games.

Exactly, once I see that there is no essence in getting on with anything in my gameplay, I'm moving on from it immediately. Just like some quests that aren't worth it, I don't waste my time on it. 

If it's a stream (any stream really, not just speedrunning streams), I usually play a flash game or single-player game that doesn't need fullscreen (like Door Kickers or NEO Scavenger) on the side. I find it kind of silly to be watching someone for a period of time on fullscreen, analyzing every bit of their movement until they either complete the run or reset and do it again. It's fine if you're going to speedrun it yourself, but watching it casually? That's just freaky weird.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:38 PM, The Blackangel said:

I never got the appeal either. If it’s some kind of contest, then maybe. But otherwise it doesn’t really make any sense to me.

Exactly, a contest is far more accomplishing getting into than Speedruns. At least, you know what you are playing for in a contest. 

Has anyone here ever achieved first place on a speedrun leaderboard? I was going to make another topic in regards to this, but figured I'd post this question here instead. I myself have never made 1st in a speedrun, but I have never tried to do one either. I don't know if I'd even try, my patience just wouldn't be in it. Same with speedruns that require you to break the game to finish it faster. I don't have the patience for learning all of this tricks. 

I think https://www.speedrun.com/ is where you can track your scores and be put on the leaderboards. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:31 PM, The Blackangel said:

I think it's more of a "my dick is bigger than yours" kind of thing. People who consider themselves "professional" gamers are always looking for a new way to put themselves above the rest. So if they can play Zelda without collecting a single rupee, or get through Mario in 10 minutes or less, or some other bullshit then they are better than the next guy. And yes I watched a video on YouTube of a guy playing Zelda OoT and beating it without collecting a single rupee. It was interesting to say the least.

Well, hell yeah, they are going to measure their dicks eeh 😂. In most cases, they aren't really worth it of a game for me. 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:30 AM, skyfire said:

These days a lot of speedrun videos are on facebook too 

I have seen a couple of them as well on my Facebook account with lots of games pages that I follow. I actually like and appreciate their gaming efforts. 

On 1/6/2021 at 12:28 AM, killamch89 said:

I've watched some Alien isolation speedruns myself to get ideas of how to finish the game faster but whenever I try them myself, I always die instantly.

There is always something that they are doing which must gamers who joins it fails to do as well which makes them get eliminated quickly.