Jump to content
Register Now
Kane99

Will there ever be a PS2 Classic?

Recommended Posts

The PlayStation Classic came out a couple years ago by now, and it didn't go over too well. The emulation was mediocre, and a lot of the ISOs on the system were the PAL version and not the US version, which caused issues with some games. Some people were able to modify the device to add other games, which is probably a more appealing idea. 

Anyway, this is not about the PS classic. But, about a possible future PS2 classic. Do you think Sony will try their hand at another classic console? I think it would be cool if they released a PS2 classic, but I imagine it would be a pricey one, considering how big games are on the PS2. I could easily see a PS2 classic going for like $100 or more. 

What do you guys think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This year does mark the 20th anniversary of the system so it's definitely possible, but there is a problem with the idea.  Working PS2's are not rare and still quite reliable so you can get working models for comparite pennies compared to an NES, SNES or even a GameCube.  You go to a car boot sale in the UK and you can usually find one with working controllers and a bundle of games for about £40 - £50.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't really see Sony releasing a classic console these days. Too much focus and development on the PS5 that there probably isn't enough time and money to roll out hundreds of thousands of newly manufactured devices. It would be awesome though, I had some fantastic times on the PS2. I remember 007 being my game at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, skyfire said:

My question is how you are going to jusitfy the monetization of that device? Who is going to make games for that old device? As is old device remade can't get much benefits. 

Well all they would need is the ISOs like the PlayStation classic. Of course they need to get permission from the publishers and devs of the games they want on it, but it would be fairly simple. The only other issue is the fact that PS2 games tend to be hefty in size, so if it happens, the PS2 classic would need a lot of space. Which will cost consumers even more. 

On 8/16/2020 at 3:18 AM, Oliver said:

No. Reason is the games are too large. They'd have to spend more in bigger storage. That brings the cost of the console up to an unreasonable price.

True. That's my biggest concern. My guess is, if they do make a PS2 classic down the road, they won't have a lot of games on it. I don't recall how many the PS classic had, so maybe around that amount, or likely less. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Wolves said:

I can't really see Sony releasing a classic console these days. Too much focus and development on the PS5 that there probably isn't enough time and money to roll out hundreds of thousands of newly manufactured devices. It would be awesome though, I had some fantastic times on the PS2. I remember 007 being my game at the time.

I don't think their core team would even be involved in the PS2 classic if it were to become a thing. I imagine they had a small team handle the original PS classic, and if they do a PS2 classic, they'd probably use the same team. But, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think it's a ways off if it ever happens. Would be cool though, I agree. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have my old PS2 as well as a box of games  😉   I wouldn't buy a classic but I wouldn't mind others getting in on the fun either. I know that during the Pandemic that the PS2 games started selling like crazy in resale shops and I almost asked my daughter if she wanted to part with hers...but we had way too much fun with ours to sell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I still have my old PS2 as well as a box of games  😉   I wouldn't buy a classic but I wouldn't mind others getting in on the fun either. I know that during the Pandemic that the PS2 games started selling like crazy in resale shops and I almost asked my daughter if she wanted to part with hers...but we had way too much fun with ours to sell.

I actually had so much fun with the game years back but I have given mine away. I don't think it's wise getting PS2 again when I'm considering PS5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I read the PS1 classic was a flop (for obvious reasons) so I doubt it unless there is demand, which I'm not seeing much on. Would be nice though, but there are waaaaay too many epic PS2 games to try and fit onto a small console and I still consider PS2 the system with the best game library on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is definitely less similarly between Playstation 1 classic and Playstation 2 because with what games there are on the latter, it's clearly obvious they are not in the same range. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I think I read the PS1 classic was a flop (for obvious reasons) so I doubt it unless there is demand, which I'm not seeing much on. Would be nice though, but there are waaaaay too many epic PS2 games to try and fit onto a small console and I still consider PS2 the system with the best game library on it. 

Typically most people who didn't upgrade to Playstation 2 but stayed with their PS 1 would never really understand what we are talking about on this subject. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Typically most people who didn't upgrade to Playstation 2 but stayed with their PS 1 would never really understand what we are talking about on this subject. 

pretty sure all if not most people did upgrade to PS2, given its massive sales. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

pretty sure all if not most people did upgrade to PS2, given its massive sales. 

I think you're misunderstanding his point - he's talking about the people who were too stubborn to upgrade and still stick to the original PS1 wouldn't have a clue what we're talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...