Register Now
killamch89

Negative Effects Of Gaming

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I’ve never played Animal Crossing, and what the fuck is blues clues? Is it like the backwards message shit that was supposed to be in metal in the 80’s? Except this is in blues music instead of metal?

Dis be Blues Clues lol 😄 

tsdblcl_ec002-2000.jpg

But yeah, I don't really see stuff like Animal Crossing or Blues Clues causing anyone to go out and harm people, but I've heard dumber things before. 

16 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Dis be Blues Clues lol 😄 

tsdblcl_ec002-2000.jpg

But yeah, I don't really see stuff like Animal Crossing or Blues Clues causing anyone to go out and harm people, but I've heard dumber things before. 

Jesus Christ, I am out of touch. I’ve never seen that before. The last cartoon dog I’ve seen was Brian Griffin. But for children, it would be the big red one. I don’t remember the name.

And I thought shit got stupid when dishwashing equipment got a cartoon.

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I guess some researches in the US, Canada are so stupid that people just assume the small sample size and think entire world should run like that. I mean RPG causing dementia? lol

I do 5 hours of flight sims and I get nothing from that, come on. I mean that's learning and using your thinking side of the brain. And reading charts for hours. Researches are always researching for years what can affect and whatnot on gaming since the day gaming first started. And what they ended up with, nothing.  

The only things I can think of that may be issues are weight gain if you aren't active or don't play active games; decreased social life (that may have already been a factor and gaming is the effect); decreased Vit D levels; strange sleeping pattern if you stay up all night gaming. These aren't necessarily restricted to gaming because the same issues can come from watching tv or surfing the internet; or any indoor profession behind a computer. 

20 hours ago, Empire said:

I do 5 hours of flight sims and I get nothing from that, come on. I mean that's learning and using your thinking side of the brain. And reading charts for hours. Researches are always researching for years what can affect and whatnot on gaming since the day gaming first started. And what they ended up with, nothing.  

Yep that's the point if flight sim can't make you get dementia then why would RPG would do? that is one reason I feel like these research and academic research are done by dumb people not experts. 

On 12/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, The Blackangel said:

Jesus Christ, I am out of touch. I’ve never seen that before. The last cartoon dog I’ve seen was Brian Griffin. But for children, it would be the big red one. I don’t remember the name.

And I thought shit got stupid when dishwashing equipment got a cartoon.

Just watch the show for five minutes - trust me, you'll want to punch your TV in no time...

On 12/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

The only things I can think of that may be issues are weight gain if you aren't active or don't play active games; decreased social life (that may have already been a factor and gaming is the effect); decreased Vit D levels; strange sleeping pattern if you stay up all night gaming. These aren't necessarily restricted to gaming because the same issues can come from watching tv or surfing the internet; or any indoor profession behind a computer. 

Valid points as always man.

On 12/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, skyfire said:

I guess some researches in the US, Canada are so stupid that people just assume the small sample size and think entire world should run like that. I mean RPG causing dementia? lol

It's true - they always come up with all kinds of bullshit studies that have no correlation to how things actually work in the real world and try to tell us it's "facts".

On 12/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, Empire said:

When it comes to gaming, I've learnt to not listen to these "experts". They've never tried playing a game in their entire life. Gaming actually increases memory-related skills such as co-ordination among others and there have been plenty of studies to refute this "new" study.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, killamch89 said:

It's true - they always come up with all kinds of bullshit studies that have no correlation to how things actually work in the real world and try to tell us it's "facts".

Lately on twitter there is "fact check" games going on. where the people who fact check are hired by these people. so it's like they are misleading us by hiring the misleading fact checkers lol.

In addition to what others have said, it's not just about mental health but physical health. However sweaty your session of DOTA 2 gets it's not enough to burn off the amount of sugar contained in a 'gaming' energy drink. Even sugar-free ones like my go-to Sneak contain about 1/3rd of my daily recommended allowance of caffeine, which will improve my reaction times but not my aim.

Also 'gaming' chairs aren't that good for you either. For starters their purpose was inspired by Formula One cars which move at high speeds and have to be secured properly. F1 seats are also moulded to the shape of the individual driver via expanding foam, whereas the bucket seats used for gaming chairs use a generic design. Driving a racing car is also different to sitting at a desk, as I'm sure the sensible among us can imagine. Their lumbar 'support' is a joke, typically a pillow that you may have to pay extra for or an internal mechanism that could give up the ghost with the knob getting stuck or the mechanism falling down the back of the leather with no way to fix it yourself. Even though mine has the built-in support, my head doesn't reach the back of the seat so I need to pay for an extra cushion. Thanks, noblechairs.

The above is just complaints about chairs with the 'gaming tax' attached, I should explain why they're bad. Mostly it's due to the poor posture they encourage, as well as circulatory issues that will come from longer periods of sitting. They're also germ magnets compared to a mesh office chair which will allow your sweaty carcass to to breathe more easily, rather than trapping farts in the foam past the faux leather cushion, or an excess amount of skin flakes in the arm rests.

Of course this applies to any hobby that encourages being seated for long periods of time, be it binging TV shows, reading books or painting still life.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:23 AM, skyfire said:

Lately on twitter there is "fact check" games going on. where the people who fact check are hired by these people. so it's like they are misleading us by hiring the misleading fact checkers lol.

It's not just Twitter. There are trolls all over Reddit that apparently know more about any given OP than the Op does. I have had people educate me that some of the posts I have made are pure bullshit. It's nice to know that there is someone out there that has followed me every second of every day and knows absolutely everything about me to the point that they know exactly how many hairs are on my fucking head. Apparently people on Reddit are now required to run posts by these fuckwads to make sure about whether it's true or not.

7 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Same here and it also impacts your behavior negatively where you're being rude to other people for no reason at all.

Yeah - that attitude seems to kick in when the player gets frustrated with the game especially when it's playing too much and not making any progress.