Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that take place in or express a protagonist’s mental state or inner demons

@Reality vs Adventure said in another thread, "That's how I see a dungeon. It's more of a mental state of torture with added monsters."

What are some games that actually feature something like this? In an indirect fashion, I think BioShock Infinite qualifies, though it is not literally in the protagonist's mind. But it does reflect his inner demons.

Hellblade is a good call but Joel from the Last Of Us should be here as well because throughout the original game, you can tell by his body language, tone and dialogue that he's a guy who's battling a lot of inner demons especially after the death of his teen daughter.

ps2 The Suffering-one of my favorite horror games. He's in prison for the murder of his family and struggles because he doesn't see how he could of done it as he can't remember. The prison gets over run by monsters. He has the ability of 'rage' where he just loses control and turns into a monster for a short period and goes ballistic on other monsters. That ability itself is a symbol of his mental state, or any of our mental state in a situation like that. As he progresses he tries to keep his head straight. He holds onto a picture of his family through it all. This game really should be remastered or something. 

6 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Does Max Payne count? He always has this inner turmoil he goes over. He is also the narrator of his own story, so it's essentially him speaking about himself. 

I would imagine it does. I remember a particularly annoying dream sequence, which on the PC required me to fiddle with my GPU's v-sync and such because apparently 144 FPS broke the platforming. I can tell you thing or two about inner turmoil getting that game to run well....

On 1/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, Kane99 said:

Does Max Payne count? He always has this inner turmoil he goes over. He is also the narrator of his own story, so it's essentially him speaking about himself. 

That's a good call. Honestly, I didn't even remember Max Payne. 

On 1/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

ps2 The Suffering-one of my favorite horror games. He's in prison for the murder of his family and struggles because he doesn't see how he could of done it as he can't remember. The prison gets over run by monsters. He has the ability of 'rage' where he just loses control and turns into a monster for a short period and goes ballistic on other monsters. That ability itself is a symbol of his mental state, or any of our mental state in a situation like that. As he progresses he tries to keep his head straight. He holds onto a picture of his family through it all. This game really should be remastered or something. 

Wow, that's a very tense plot. I think I'm going to look up the game and see if it's something that I can get into sooner than later. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Wow, that's a very tense plot. I think I'm going to look up the game and see if it's something that I can get into sooner than later. 

The atmosphere in the prison is really scary. It looked good when I played it, but now graphically, after playing on the ps4 is probably outdated. Great game anyways and I wish it got a graphics update. 

On 8/21/2021 at 3:20 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

The atmosphere in the prison is really scary. It looked good when I played it, but now graphically, after playing on the ps4 is probably outdated. Great game anyways and I wish it got a graphics update. 

Maybe they are still working on another one that would have upgraded graphics. I'm definitely getting the game. 

Outlast 2 will be the most scariest game I have played. Those, who think it's not scary, just play it while lights switched off and high volume. Those screams and SFX will freak out literally everyone. 

Edited by Razor1911

5 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Outlast 2 will be the most scariest game I have played. Those, who think it's not scary, just play it while lights switched off and high volume. Those screams and SFX will freak out literally everyone. 

Actually, it's how I personally play horror games and watch horror movies. I tune it up with dark settings to help intensify the horror levels.