Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most motivating rewards in games

So many games I've played so much, that I don't even feel a sense of accomplishment or like I've received any rewards in anymore. Others, I'm so lost that even seeing an unfamiliar tree feels like a reward. As for in the middle, I can think of two. Blaster Master and Legacy Of The Wizard.

Blaster Master - Obviously like all games, BM gets progressively harder as you progress through the game. But BM takes it up another notch. Finding the right subdungeon room that holds the boss of the area is just the beginning. You have to then figure out how to fight and kill it. Then you have to find the entrance to the next area. Which is hell on earth. I was in my teens before I found the entrance to area 4. From area one you go to area 2. From area 2 you go to area 3. Seems to reason that from area 3 you would go to area 4, right? Nope. From area 3 you go to area 2. From area 2 you go to area 1. And from area 1 you go all the way to the starting point in the level. There you use your new hover ability to hover up past several booby trapped platforms, and hope you don't run out of hover power before you make it to the top. Then you have found the way to area 4. How many kids do you think were calling Sunsoft and going "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!"

Legacy Of The Wizard - Where do I even begin. Many of you have seen me bitch about this one. It should be simple enough. Collect 4 crowns, wake a slumbering dragon, kill said dragon, win the game. Bull-shit. This game was released in North America in April of 1989, and I got a used copy that same year from a kid who hated it. he knew I liked fantasy stuff and agreed to sell it to me for cheap. So that's 31 years.

I have, as of today, found one single fucking crown. In 31 god damn years.

I've been playing that game, hoping to at least find a halfway point at 2 crowns, longer than many of you reading this have even been in existence. If a video game could be prosecuted, I would want this one to get the fucking chair. But I can't quit until I have beaten it. I won't use online guides because I've been playing it longer than the internet has existed. I'm not entirely opposed to a Game Genie at this point. I may try it at some point. If a game can cause an aneurysm.....
Fuck. You . Brøderbund.

The best reward is a well written story. I don't need carrots to finish games. All I wish for is that the game properly acknowledges your deeds with a proper epilogue. Very few games get this right. Most end abruptly without any closure.

As for optional quest rewards, the best motivator is a  cool looking outfit. And that is why the popular opinion "cosmetic only microtransactions are fine" is bullshit. Getting better and more cool looking armor pieces is  a core mechanic of every adventure game. Taking that aspect away makes the game worse. And I'll never pay for any in-game item with real money ever. And even if I did, buying something vs getting it as a reward for a quest is not the same.

Any rewards that adds to the story, or gives you cool upgrades, I'm all for. I love to play games where the story gradually rewards you for playing. I'm a simple man, as long as the game is fun and exciting, I don't care much for the rewards. Just want a fun experience. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Any rewards that adds to the story, or gives you cool upgrades, I'm all for. I love to play games where the story gradually rewards you for playing. I'm a simple man, as long as the game is fun and exciting, I don't care much for the rewards. Just want a fun experience. 

You have the same thought as me. The enjoyable experience of playing the game IS the reward.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 1/4/2021 at 1:04 AM, The Blackangel said:

You have the same thought as me. The enjoyable experience of playing the game IS the reward.

Exactly, when you ended up investing your time in a particular video game and it ends up not being a satisfying experience, it's definitely not a rewarding experience. 

CoD4 multiplayer back in it's prime. I spent pretty much all of my free time for a while there playing that game. I would wake up in the morning, shower and dress, then I would sit in my living room playing on my tv with the front door open until the bus pulled up. It was the first competitive multiplayer that I experienced, and I loved that feeling of competing. Being the last man standing in a HCS&D match vs 4 people. Having to outmaneuver and outplay them without taking a single shot and ending up defusing the bomb with .5 seconds left on the clock. I felt like a beast, and the reactions from the enemy team were proof of that.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, Patrik said:

Mostly abilities and story content (your relation with the character after a certain moment) 

The story content, good narrative and a particularly good graphics also goes a very long way in offering a good sense of gaming rewards for me.