Register Now
Kane99

Will Facebook ever make a game?

Facebook owns Oculus and I could see them producing games for the device. Do you think Facebook will ever release their own game? Have they already released games of their own for Oculus? 

Facebook could easily jump into gaming with all the cash they make. What do you guys think though? Could Facebook make it in the gaming industry? Or would you prefer if they stayed as far away as possible? 

I can tell you that question raises a lot of controversy. Having a social network intertwined with politics, making games??? I'm already skeptical about them and Oculus. That's where it paves the way to where games can be swayed by politics. Zuckerberg has been under hot water several times recently in the USA and under scrutiny from both political parties. Why should that platform be making games? There should be a law against it; like right now. 

I can see them doing it, but I can see a few problems:

1. Green Eggs and Hamazon. Amazon's had what can only be described as a dire time of making video games, their Lumberyard engine being criticised for being unintuitive and hard to work with, and Amazon Game Studios' (AGS) few releases having to be recalled to see further work. Facebook doesn't have any game studios barring the Oculus guys, who have only made Lone Echo and two PvP spin-offs, with a sequel still in the works. Ready at Dawn have been hit and miss with The Order: 1886 and several PSP sequels to existing titles on home consoles such as Daxter and God of War.
  2. Protective. Detective. Electric Eye. I can't begin to imagine Facebook would make a video game without maliciously using it to dig dirt on its users, which it already does liberally and with little to no consequence. Achievements are already used as a safe measure of gathering user data, and the always-online component of games ensure that developers and publishers have metrics on who's doing what for how long and when, so they can incorporate such features into their next title. Facebook can and will do much worse if their games ever launch.
  3. Pain in the Ads. In addition to harvesting data I can also see them paving the way for games to have further advertisements in games, as we saw with 2K trying to worm unskippable ads into NBA 2K21. "Mistake" indeed. If anyone has the power to make it happen and completely ignore it, as they have with their social media platform, they can easily do it with the video game.

As Amazon has proven, and I'm sure many big companies will continue to show us in the future, money can't buy you creativity.

Edited by Withywarlock

Please no. Facebook is so intrusive especially when it comes to your data and the activities you do on your phone. In addition to that, I'm pretty sure they'll absolutely screw it up somehow and add Facebook Login as a requirement to get into the game.

7 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Please no. Facebook is so intrusive especially when it comes to your data and the activities you do on your phone. In addition to that, I'm pretty sure they'll absolutely screw it up somehow and add Facebook Login as a requirement to get into the game.

It is a requirement to have a facebook account and login with it to use Oculus. 

Just now, Reality vs Adventure said:

It is a requirement to have a facebook account and login with it to use Oculus. 

Yeah, I'm aware of it already and that's why I don't want any Facebook-related games or anything else created by Facebook for that matter. Just before Facebook acquire Oculus, I was seriously considering one but now you'll never get me going near one of those devices.

Facebook most probably may be investing into social VR game like they have social network they may make something social that can fit their social network. It would be too much work but they siding with china would soon have it accomplished. 

Well, why Facebook stopped doing games? Another question to say.

Facebook games left a big mark on the games industry, albeit being somewhat short lived. Ever wondered how King Digital got big? (Makers of candy crush) They made a proprietary game engine that runs on all major mobile/desktop OSes + Adobe Flash. (Written in C++) The adobe flash version is used for facebook at the time, But not now however. Facebook years ago had games that we can do and it was big back then. 

People learned about their games via facebook and then got the mobile version to continue their progress on-the-go. Zynga failed badly at doing this (the mobile part) which is probably why they haven't been doing well for years. King on the other hand has kept their games super consistent cross platform. So why have Facebook games been short lived? Facebook lowered the effectiveness of social games on their platform since they no longer show game posts in your feed. This prospect has essentially eliminated facebook games from going viral. I don't remember what year facebook did this, but you could probably get an idea from google searches about farmville spam.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, Patrik said:

I personally know people that left Facebook after the data thingy, so i don't think they will gather enough interested people if they make some game (unless they pay some other company to carry the name instead)

After Facebook acquired Oculus, I stopped wanting one. I don't even really use Facebook anymore either. It's just used to keep in contact with some friends and family and I'm seriously considering deleting that account.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:45 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I can tell you that question raises a lot of controversy. Having a social network intertwined with politics, making games??? I'm already skeptical about them and Oculus. That's where it paves the way to where games can be swayed by politics. Zuckerberg has been under hot water several times recently in the USA and under scrutiny from both political parties. Why should that platform be making games? There should be a law against it; like right now. 

I wish Facebook was shut down permanently or just banned from existence.

There is definitely a big gap facebook can see itself that may require them to have games there. Zynga has left facebook market. So they are on their own on android. In near future facebook would just make clones of other games and keep people on their platform. 

I don't think they will, they are still trying to grow out their gaming platform first to compete with Twitch. If anything, they may buy a publisher but I still think that would take a look on convincing to do to Mark Zuck.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

Imagine if the facebook does make a game like some VR, they may end up being the "black mirror" episode some day. 

That be a dream come true with those that loves VR 😛 but I say that 80% people play none related games anyway. I love to have a  VR headset however for a good headset you need to pay $500 and the cheap option doesn't even offer that.