Register Now
StaceyPowers

Realistic or unrealistic movement, which do you prefer?

As long as it is explained by the game in a way that makes sense in the fictional universe I have no problem with unrealistic things.

However unrealistic physics defying moves do bug me when the game is set in a perfectly normal world, with no superpowers and magic, or even gadgets to explain it.

It really depends on the game's universe. For instance, in games like Skyrim, have realistic movement is prohibitive because almost every other NPC you encounter has some kind of supernatural ability - even the mortal races. They have magical abilities which can alter their movement speeds along with all kinds of things so realistic movement doesn't really fit into this universe.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It really depends on the game's universe. For instance, in games like Skyrim, have realistic movement is prohibitive because almost every other NPC you encounter has some kind of supernatural ability - even the mortal races. They have magical abilities which can alter their movement speeds along with all kinds of things so realistic movement doesn't really fit into this universe.

I'm new to Skyrim and I prefer realistic movement in games, but I'll have to keep that in mind. It is interesting though, to start out with what I'm used to as if I've entered a realm where physics is different, and then develop new skills from there. Adds a flavor of realism to that world. But I can't imagine how my character will be after 100 hours. Maybe I'll throw everything I said out the window.  

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I'm new to Skyrim and I prefer realistic movement in games, but I'll have to keep that in mind. It is interesting though, to start out with what I'm used to as if I've entered a realm where physics is different, and then develop new skills from there. Adds a flavor of realism to that world. But I can't imagine how my character will be after 100 hours. Maybe I'll throw everything I said out the window.  

It's the Elder Scrolls universe unfortunately. In the Elder Scrolls universe, the mortal races pretty much descended from the deities so they retain a bit of their power. In essence, it means that even the weakest mortals have can use magical abilities like Levitate (In every other ES title except Skyrim but we have mods for that). So realistic movement isn't really the norm in a universe like this.

32 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's the Elder Scrolls universe unfortunately. In the Elder Scrolls universe, the mortal races pretty much descended from the deities so they retain a bit of their power. In essence, it means that even the weakest mortals have can use magical abilities like Levitate (In every other ES title except Skyrim but we have mods for that). So realistic movement isn't really the norm in a universe like this.

That's interesting descending from deities. Reminds me of the book I'm reading Malazan where there are those who ascend to become a God. They call them ascendants. Somewhere there is the halfway point where I guess magic is. Usually those that use magic gets power from warrens. I'm not sure yet, but I assume gods control those warrens. 

I tend to like realistic movement since it can add to the tone of the game. If it’s unrealistic, then I’d like the game to have way more unrealistic things otherwise it just makes me wonder “why did they skimp out on this only”

On 3/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What is more fun for you, games where you move realistically, or games where you have unrealistic movements (like quad jump or such)?

Those unrealistic moves do not go down well with me because it make it look very obvious it's not something obtainable in the human world.