Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why is my PS3 getting louder?

I've noticed a few times over the past few weeks, my PS3 is running hotter and louder than usual. It is well-ventilated, recently dusted, and is only doing this sporadically, usually while playing TLOU. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

if you are sure that this isn't any thermal issue, then it could be an issue with the fan getting closer to its last station, fans dying is a pretty common issue with small packed devices such as consoles and laptops

Older consoles of this make are bound to have these issues. Other than a deep cleaning of the fans and heat sinks there isn't much else that can be done. My PS3 was literally screeming in pain for weeks before finally dying while I was playing Beyond Two Souls a few years back. 

Edited by Shagger

Tear it down, clean the dust, replace the thermal paste. Get arctic MX-4 thermal compound. Google and ifixit are your friend.

If it's an older fat model, you also have the option of pimping out the cooling on your system by getting a system fan with more blades and a lowpower PSU, also replacing thermal pads on some chips on the mobo. Do the thermal paste replacement as soon as possible, as continued use at high temperatures will shorten the life of your console drastically.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, killamch89 said:

You're probably facing thermal issues - is it consistently loud or does it rise and dip?

When it gets loud, it doesn't seem interested in dropping again, so I turn it off. then it behaves fine if I don't play TLOU. It has done this a few times with Dragon Age Inquisition too, but went back to behaving after I turned it off and back on.

TLOU is a very demanding game, fan getting louder in it than other games is normal.

I wouldn't worry about it, trying to use compressed air might make it worse without opening the system up as the air might just push the dust deeper into the finstack.

Others may say different, But I'll tell you, PS3's are a bitch to open and take apart. If you can get the top off of it intact and without damage, then you're better at it than I am. I've fixed a few, but they were the hardest system I've ever had to work on.