Register Now
StaceyPowers

Should video game writers have to bow to the whims of players?

If players dislike something about a video game story, there is sometimes extreme pressure on devs to change it. You don’t see this that often with books, movies, etc. Personally, I think this is rather ridiculous—creators make the products they want, market demand determines if it sells, end of story. Debates about story content are an issue of subjective values, not quality.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Creators should be free to create what they originally intended to instead of being pressured into pleasing players whose opinion might change on a dime even if they get what they originally asked for.

Exactly, when it comes to gamers opinion, you're very correct that it may change any time which might not be good when a gaming decision is based on it. 

No, they don't have to bow to whims. But they also shouldn't deliberately make things that they know their core fans will be against.

It's kind of the point of game development to make games that people will actually want to play. I'm not saying cater to the lowest common denominator, but don't hang your established audience out to dry for the twitter mob. Case in point: The Saints Row reveal from a few days ago.

35 minutes ago, m76 said:

No, they don't have to bow to whims. But they also shouldn't deliberately make things that they know their core fans will be against.

It's kind of the point of game development to make games that people will actually want to play. I'm not saying cater to the lowest common denominator, but don't hang your established audience out to dry for the twitter mob. Case in point: The Saints Row reveal from a few days ago.

That's a rich statement coming from someone who considers game developers making female characters too ugly to meet your standards some sort of social/political statement.

From your review of Terminator: Resistance you posted on the forum earlier today.

termreviewm76-2.png.d32c83ca73c911e8b90eeafbb82615ff.png

Edited by Shagger

Just because you refuse the acknowledge the trend doesn't mean it's not happening.

We can add it to all the other things you also refuse to acknowledge. Like the previous line in my post:

"But they also shouldn't deliberately make things that they know their core fans will be against."

Into which category making unattractive characters falls.

Edited by m76

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly, when it comes to gamers opinion, you're very correct that it may change any time which might not be good when a gaming decision is based on it. 

I've seen it happen a number of times over the years to know it's a bad idea to just bow to their whims.

55 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I've seen it happen a number of times over the years to know it's a bad idea to just bow to their whims.

The truth is that we gamers want just about everything and anything to be done for us and should we be listened to 24/7 and followed based on our requests, it's going to a hell of work for these companies. 

If they're making sequels to a series, then yes, they should but only to a certain degree. And a small one at that.

If they're making something new, then absolutely not. Make it, release it, and have fun doing it. Does anyone else remember how nervous the studios were when they debuted God Of War? Now it's one of the most successful game series'.

If you're making off the wall games withing a franchise (Mario Galaxy for example) then it's a toss up there.

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If they're making sequels to a series, then yes, they should but only to a certain degree. And a small one at that.

If they're making something new, then absolutely not. Make it, release it, and have fun doing it. Does anyone else remember how nervous the studios were when they debuted God Of War? Now it's one of the most successful game series'.

If you're making off the wall games withing a franchise (Mario Galaxy for example) then it's a toss up there.

Seriously, God of War is a blast from day one. I watched one Remastered play on YouTube the other day and it was so thrilling. Let me see if I can get the video link.