Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you ever skip optional content?

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

When there are optional areas/dialogue, etc. in video games, do you ever skip them? If so, why?

Nope - I always go over everything in-game so that I can make sense of the whole story. I mean, why would you buy a game to only play certain parts of it and  not explore it all.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - I always go over everything in-game so that I can make sense of the whole story. I mean, why would you buy a game to only play certain parts of it and  not explore it all.

Exactly what I always think. This is why I wanted to find out if others actually skip optional content. Maybe devs do it that way in case they think some of it may have lower replay value?

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

What about those video tutorial/story teller short videos. Do you watch them full? Most of the time, I skip without even giving the second thought. But when I get stuck in something, I have to go back and listen/watch to that again. Lol. 😆

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Exactly what I always think. This is why I wanted to find out if others actually skip optional content. Maybe devs do it that way in case they think some of it may have lower replay value?

Not really sure why but I find that the optional content covers little things that wouldn't normally be covered in the main story but is an essential part of understanding what other events contributed to the plot developing in a certain way.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:23 AM, killamch89 said:

Seriously - It's actually the very good reason why those were made available in the game and some people wouldn't want to make use of it all. If it's not available, same gamers will nag over it. 

Very rarely do I skip such things. Even when I'm just skipping through dialogue options, I like to go through them all in case something gets added to my journal automatically, or may provide additional dialogue later on because I'd asked about it. As for zones, they require a lot more attention, time and energy so I may or may not go into them. In a Spiders game, which are typically short and you eke out every bit of value for money you can, they're not particularly optional (and are designed as such to give you a leg-up in the main quest, to great effect I might add) so I make a point of doing them, even if I don't like how they drag out the game, however short.

9 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Very rarely do I skip such things. Even when I'm just skipping through dialogue options, I like to go through them all in case something gets added to my journal automatically, or may provide additional dialogue later on because I'd asked about it. As for zones, they require a lot more attention, time and energy so I may or may not go into them. In a Spiders game, which are typically short and you eke out every bit of value for money you can, they're not particularly optional (and are designed as such to give you a leg-up in the main quest, to great effect I might add) so I make a point of doing them, even if I don't like how they drag out the game, however short.

As long as they are very useful in getting you play the game in such a way that you wouldn't have anything missed is why they are very important and the developers that had it put there aren't silly. 

19 minutes ago, Patrik said:

mostly yeah, like random citizen tasks in GTA games and much more, those people are usually weird along with the tasks that come with them lmao, like a guy in GTA IV asking you to stalk his wife coz he thinks she's cheating him

Haha, so you aren't going to help him find out if his wife was truly unfaithful and cheating on him 😂

In terms of dialogue, I don't like to skip it because there is a risk that you miss something extremely important that helps you further along in the game. In terms of side quests/missions, I do sometimes skip them especially for games that I'm not addicted to.

1 hour ago, Darth said:

.... In terms of side quests/missions, I do sometimes skip them especially for games that I'm not addicted to.

Definitely there are side quests that's a total waste of time and which really won't add any useful achievements for you. They are best skipped. 

On my first playthrough of a game I always go for full immersion. I do the content that makes sense for the situations and what feels natural.

If the game is absolutely brilliant, I'll do a second play through where I try to do all meaningful side missions, but I'm still not going to be collecting rocks. The concept of 100%-ing a game is completely alien to me, I never did that even in my most favorite, beloved games, ever.