Register Now
Heatman

Do you make use of game's tutorials?

It depends on the game, some games are too simple to be needing a tutorial, like Tetris or Breakout, but stuff like Jrpg's really do need a tutorial because they almost always have complicated systems that will need explaining.

2 minutes ago, Techno said:

It depends on the game, some games are too simple to be needing a tutorial, like Tetris or Breakout, but stuff like Jrpg's really do need a tutorial because they almost always have complicated systems that will need explaining.

Seriously, I don't really consider Tetris as a game if I'm being very honest with you because it's too easy to be challenging for me at all. 

If every game was so similar to each other that there was no need for tutorials at all we'd bee in a pretty sorry state. Without thier own indigenous control quirks games just wouldn't have thier own identity. A case can be made that if a game is easy to play without a tutorial, that's a sign of a game that's got a very well suited and intuitive control set up, but I still would like to think every new game has something a little different to offer.

8 minutes ago, Techno said:

I'm hearing you on JRPG's. Don't get me wrong, I love the genre, but they almost always have to take some getting used to. I touched on that when I reviewed Tales of Arise recently.

Edited by Shagger

Just now, Heatman said:

Seriously, I don't really consider Tetris as a game if I'm being very honest with you because it's too easy to be challenging for me at all. 

Yeah, Tetris is a what I called a "Old School", like Pong, Space Invaders, or Pacman. They may be fun but they aren't the most complex games.

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

If every game was so similar to each other that there was no need for tutorials at all we'd bee in a pretty sorry state. Without thier own indigenous control quirks games just wouldn't have thier own identity. A case can be made that if a game is easy to play without a tutorial, that's a sign of a game that's got a very well suited and intuitive control set up, but I still would like to think every new game has something a little different to offer.

I'm hearing you on JRPG's. Don't get me wrong, I love the genre, but they almost always take some getting used to. I touched on that when I reviewed Tales of Arise recently.

The nature of some games do have a big impact on the use of its tutorials. There are some the tutorials don't even help at all with how difficult such games present themselves. 

4 hours ago, PGen98 said:

I have to agree with some of the sentiments above, it really depends on the game itself.  Some games need them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That's very correct, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having it in games at all, otherwise the gaming making companies would have it in games in the first place. 

I think optional tutorials are a fantastic idea, maybe even necessary.

Everyone learns in different ways. Many of us do it through pure experimentation, but some prefer to be told how everything works in advance. Regardless of which side you're on personally, it's unfair to act like the other end of the spectrum doesn't exist.