Register Now
The Blackangel

Xbox Buys Activision. Sony Buys Bungie. Where is Nintendo in this buying craze?

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You're right on that one. Those of us who are Nintendo fans, usually don't get into the console wars that tend to rage amongst a lot of gamers. Like the PCMR shit that goes on. We just don't get into it.

Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Others have tried, but they simply couldn't rival Nintendo. Now that Nintendo has released a hybrid that can be handheld or played like a traditional console, other companies are scrambling to try to take over and beat Nintendo in this challenge.

They probably felt that Nintendo have been sleeping all these while without know they are cooking up something special for them while they still dominated Switch. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Who knows what might be running in the minds of SNES or Nintendo, they might be thinking about something great that will surpass the recent achievement of Sony purchasing Activision blizzard. 

One thing that I'm very sure that isn't going to be happening with Nintendo at the helm would be purchasing a studio and spending big like Microsoft did in purchasing Activision-Blizzard. 

On 2/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, m76 said:

And Ford outsells Bentley 1000:1 that doesn't mean anything. Different market segments, with tiny overlap.  Sure if you define the console wars as merely the units sold then nintendo is doing well in that department.

But the fact still remains that Nintendo has far inferior hardware and some of the biggest franchises are not even on Nintendo platform, while others are released years later on it with compromised graphics and performance. Sorry no matter how much it hurts fans, Nintendo is not a key player, they have their own market segment that they cover well, but they are not competing for the same piece of the pie as microsoft and sony.

My point was that they don't need to be in the same league as sony and microsoft to succeed, because their exclusives are what sells their consoles. They don't need the triple A games that sony and microsoft consoles get. They'll be just fine the way they are. The reason the switch works is because it's a handheld console hybrid. Of course it'll be inferior to the current consoles. 

I disagree that they're not key players though. Even if their console is inferior to the others in some ways, it doesn't disqualify the fact its one of the best selling consoles ever and has more than enough of a fan base around it supporting it. The only real difference is the price. Sure that will help sales, but the price isn't far off from last gen consoles anyway. 

My original point was that Nintendo doesn't need to be buying up studios to succeed, because they'll be just fine in the current position they're in. They don't need to pull what sony and microsoft have been doing. Because they have the inhouse teams to make the games they want. And will still have other third party studios out there making games. Nintendo will be fine. 

Edited by Kane99

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Who knows what might be running in the minds of SNES or Nintendo, they might be thinking about something great that will surpass the recent achievement of Sony purchasing Activision blizzard. 

SNES is a Nintendo. It's actually their second major console to have hit the western market on August 23, 1991.

26 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Of course it'll be inferior to the current consoles.

How is it inferior? If you're talking about the technical side of things, I wouldn't go so far as to call it inferior. Maybe a little slower, but it's still lightning fast. It can hold its own against anything Sony or Microsoft put out to challenge Nintendo. If we're using terms like "superior" and "inferior" then going by my own unbiased experience, the Switch is superior to the Xbox Series S. We have both, and the Switch outperforms the Xbox every time we play them.

55 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

SNES is a Nintendo. It's actually their second major console to have hit the western market on August 23, 1991.

Thanks for the information, it's been a while since the console came into existence. I believe SNES is your current console? 

With the exception of the Virtual Boy and the Wii U, I have all the Nintendo consoles.

NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii, Gameboy, GB Pocket, GB Color, GBA, GBASP, DS, 3DS, Switch. I also have a couple extensions like the Super Game Boy as well.

And that's just the Nintendo systems I own. It doesn't cover anything else. And I don't even play Wii or Game Cube anymore.

Edited by The Blackangel

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

One thing that I'm very sure that isn't going to be happening with Nintendo at the helm would be purchasing a studio and spending big like Microsoft did in purchasing Activision-Blizzard. 

We really can't tell, this companies have the money to buy anything that pleases them, provided it will be very much beneficial to them. 

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

We have both, and the Switch outperforms the Xbox every time we play them.

The obvious reason why I'm having a good time with playing on my Nintendo Switch for a while now. It seems like it's something I'd do for a long time than I planned. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

We really can't tell, this companies have the money to buy anything that pleases them, provided it will be very much beneficial to them. 

Yeah, definitely money isn't the problem for them by all means. Their work plan project is always different and unique. 

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

How is it inferior? If you're talking about the technical side of things, I wouldn't go so far as to call it inferior. Maybe a little slower, but it's still lightning fast. It can hold its own against anything Sony or Microsoft put out to challenge Nintendo. If we're using terms like "superior" and "inferior" then going by my own unbiased experience, the Switch is superior to the Xbox Series S. We have both, and the Switch outperforms the Xbox every time we play them.

It's inferior in the sense that it can't play most of the same games the current gen consoles have. Yes it may perform fine, but it still doesn't have the power the ps5 and series x has. Series s is a different bag, but is still vastly stronger than the switch. The switch works fine for what it is though. 

Most multiplatform games have to be downgraded by a lot to even work on the switch. Some still run poorly. I also used inferior in the sense that the person I responded to used it. I mostly am referring to the fact that it's not as powerful spec wise. 

35 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

It's inferior in the sense that it can't play most of the same games the current gen consoles have. Yes it may perform fine, but it still doesn't have the power the ps5 and series x has. Series s is a different bag, but is still vastly stronger than the switch. The switch works fine for what it is though. 

Most multiplatform games have to be downgraded by a lot to even work on the switch. Some still run poorly. I also used inferior in the sense that the person I responded to used it. I mostly am referring to the fact that it's not as powerful spec wise. 

Spec-wise, it probably is a bit inferior, but that is strictly due to how compact it is. As for games having to be downgraded, that's just plain wrong. Skyrim for example ran much better and had much more crisp graphics on my Switch than it did on PC or PS4. The Witcher was the same between Switch and Xbox One. My Switch outperformed both of them on those games. And those are two of the biggest games of the era, especially Skyrim.

40 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Like I said earlier to @m76, you cannot boil your sense of gaming down to the technology alone, it's about how the said technology enhances the gameplay experience. If the experience feels special and fulfilling, a less powerful device and deliver an experience comparable to a much more powerful one, maybe even surpass it. I do play most of my games these days a decent gaming laptop and one of my favourite things about it is that I can use in the living room or in bed, something I wouldn't be able to do with a gaming PC even though I know I could probably have gotten a more powerful device for the money if I had built a computer. I probably wouldn't be as happy with it. The Switch may not have the gusto of other consoles, but it really doesn't matter because that's not point. The fact that so many people, especially in PC gaming, are as obsessed as the are with stats and numbers to develop thier own sense of gaming makes me sad. They have no idea how stupid this actually makes them look! "My PC/console displays more dots than yours!" or "My dots can change colour faster than yours!".

Now, to be fair, PC gamers do have to consider frame rates, settings and display resolution at the forefront of thier experience as they have to set thier games up to suit thier hardware, but far too many of us take this obsession way too far and I am prepared to admit that it's not always all it's  cracked up to be. I get my pc game started, set it to the highest setting, try it or run a benchmark, Then, if the game is not running at an acceptable rate, troubleshoot problems if the performance really doesn't makes sense, adjust settings, then repeat until It's set up right. Once done, I tape everything down, turn off my performance overlay and never think about it again... I damb well hope. Now, dose sound like fun? No wonder people choose to play thier games of a Switch while there somewhere nice like the park of at the lakeside playing Zelda, Mario, Skyrim, Dying Light or DOOM while the schmuck that is me is at home trying to find a workaround to get NeiR Replicant to run at more that 15fps, all on a device that was triple the price to begin with.

Hardware capability is overrated, in my opinion, at least in comparison to what said hardware does to enhance the gameplay experience.