Register Now
The Blackangel

Xbox Buys Activision. Sony Buys Bungie. Where is Nintendo in this buying craze?

Check the Gaming News boards, and you will see several articles about acquisitions of smaller studios by conglomerates like Sony and Microsoft. But even with all these studios being bought, and it is news, where has Nintendo been during all of this? I have neither seen nor heard of them being anywhere near any deals to buy any developers. If they want to keep up with Xbox and PlayStation, they need to pick up a few at least. Someone big. I'm not saying they should try to buy Rockstar. That would most likely decimate Nintendo at the price Rockstar would give them. However, if they don't pick up some studios at least (even small/indie ones), they're going to be left behind in MS and PS's dust, wondering what the hell just happened. I don't want to see that happen, as I have been a Nintendo girl since the NES came out in 1985. It's my personal favorite platform. And I'm sure there are others here that don't want to see that happen to Nintendo as well.

Edited by The Blackangel

Nintendo doesn't need to do anything. They can sit back, and watch Microsoft and Sony do their thing. They have a great deal of exclusive games on their end, and their market is set and fine. They don't need the Call of Duty, Destiny with Bungie and so on. They sell consoles based on being just Nintendo. No one is buying a switch to play Call of Duty or the big time triple A titles. They're buying it to play Mario, Zelda, and other Nintendo games. 

What studios would they even buy? Capcom? Konami? I just don't see them as ones to purchase any companies. 

17 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

What studios would they even buy? Capcom? Konami? I just don't see them as ones to purchase any companies.

Now that's the one company I would want ANYONE to buy out!  Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft hell even EA!  Any one them would at least do something with Castlevainia and Metal Gear besides Pachinko machines.

SEGA one said "SEGA doe's what Ninten-don't." Those guys couldn't have realized just how right they were because it seems EVERYONE does what Ninten-don't. sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's not, but constant part of it Nintendo doing what they want to and not following the grain.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Nintendo is just the third wheel, that nobody takes as a serious contender in the console wars.

They've sold more than twice as many Switches as XBox Ones, only just behind the PS4, so how does that make them the "Third Wheel"? You better got on the phone to 100+ people and tell them to start taking thier gaming seriously.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Nintendo is just the third wheel, that nobody takes as a serious contender in the console wars.

I would love to see that report and the statistics conducted that prove it. The oldest of the big 3, is no longer a contender. Do I laugh, or do I facepalm here?

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

They've sold more than twice as many Switches as XBox Ones, only just behind the PS4, so how does that make them the "Third Wheel"? You better got on the phone to 100+ people and tell them to start taking thier gaming seriously.

They don't cover the same market. Nintendo is seen more as a toy, than an enthusiast gaming console. No use getting offended by this, it's just the truth. Nintendo vs. Playstation can happily live and let live by the other. Unlike XBOX vs. Playstation.

Even when you look at gaming influencers, they rarely talk about nintendo, they talk about playstation and xbox, and maybe PC.

It has nothing to do with how large or small the company is. They just cover a different segment of the market, with little overlap between them. And as such I don't think either Sony or Microsoft sees Nintendo as a threat.

Edited by m76

8 hours ago, m76 said:

They don't cover the same market. Nintendo is seen more as a toy, than an enthusiast gaming console. No use getting offended by this, it's just the truth. Nintendo vs. Playstation can happily live and let live by the other. Unlike XBOX vs. Playstation.

Even when you look at gaming influencers, they rarely talk about nintendo, they talk about playstation and xbox, and maybe PC.

It has nothing to do with how large or small the company is. They just cover a different segment of the market, with little overlap between them. And as such I don't think either Sony or Microsoft sees Nintendo as a threat.

Who, exactly, sees Nintendo as a "toy"? It's one of the leading gaming devices and most innovative consoles on the market. Do you remember the Wii? Motion control was a new thing. It was revolutionary. Now we have the hybrid Switch. You can play on the go, or play on your TV if that's preferred. Whereas, Sony and Xbox only offer consoles that stay put and hook up to a TV. Then there are the games. Nintendo has some of the biggest and most popular franchises that Sony and Xbox could never touch. To be specific, Zelda and Mario are untouchable. Nintendo is a beast. Also we can't forget the craze that SMB3 caused. I guarantee that Sony and Xbox know about that. So they know Nintendo's power. Nintendo isn't viewed as a toy, except by you. Unless you can show me reports stating otherwise.

9 hours ago, m76 said:

You're right about about thing. Nintendo did indeed start out as a toymaker, but whether you knew that or not I highly doubt that's why you came to that conclusion. Even if you did, Nintendo as we know is not the same company, and we both know that. They've been at the forefront of gaming hardware innovation for decades and are respectable for what is arguably is the biggest influence on the culture of gaming than any other company. Yes, thier games and indeed consoles are not for everyone, but denying how important they are and influence they've had just because they don't suit your tastes is very immature.

Nintendo do thier own thing, to the extent that it's hard to say your wrong when you say Nintendo don't compete directly with Sony or Microsoft. I really do see what you mean, but that does not mean they aren't meant to be taken seriously. I see loads of youtubers, influencers and journalist that talk about Nintendo, sometimes exclusively, all the time. The reason you don't about know about them is because you don't look. You don't want them to "bust your bubble" and realise what you want to believe about Nintendo isn't true. But guess what, it isn't true.

Here's my theory, and it is just a theory. Remember that because if you get your panties in a twist again and call this this an "attack", all you'll prove is that this stuck a nerve, something that wouldn't happen if I was wrong. Think about that before you reply. It's a challenge to your point, not you yourself. I feel the need to add that disclaimer now as you can't seen to tell the difference nor take any criticism.

Right, now that's out of the way. Deep down, you know Nintendo is a major player in the world of video games (I mean, that's a straight up fact.), but you as a gamer don't feel catered for as Nintendo games and consoles tend not to suit your needs and tastes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Like I said, Nintendo isn't for everyone. But still, the problem must be them, right? They don't matter you, you don't matter them, so your ego won't allow to accept any possibility other than that they don't matter at all, and that has to be true for everyone, right? Nintendo is popular, and not just with a younger crowed, and for legitimate reasons. The quality of thier 1st party titles, the flexibility of the Switch console itself and the unique feel, nostalgia and experience of playing Nintendo that just doesn't exist with other companies. That's something I shouldn't have explain to someone who knows gaming.

Edited by Shagger