Register Now
StaceyPowers

What (real) cities would be coolest settings for open world games?

Not a city but a county: Yorkshire. You've got the dales and farmlands, the steel city of Sheffield, the coal towns, the shattering village of Skelmanthorpe, and some coastline. Set it during post-WW2 and you could have quite a strong atmosphere for a game. Call it Forlar' Farv (that's Fallout Five for those outside of God's Own County) and sell it for For'y Quid.

In the meantime we'll have to settle for that Southern tripe, Fallout: London. I guess that'd be an alright place to explore. Might even work as a Yakuza-style world: compact and true to scale, if your hardware can handle all the pigeons.

It will be pleasing seeing some video game publishers/devs coming to my country if they're looking for a rough background to make video games. Since most video games are made on a smoother background, they just need something different xD. 

There's a couple i can think of that would be great :

Amsterdam would be a cool one for a change, a city with so many lore and history, needless to say it's quite a beautiful city that would probably work best if it's set into the years 1588-1672 during the Dutch golden age.

The entire Nagano Prefecture in japan would also be a good one for a racing game, narrow mountain passes for touge racing combined with beautiful nature and ancient japanese architecture for a relaxing experience, you could do a lot worse as a setting for a forza horizon game.

If we think outside the box the Nagano Prefecture would be an awesome place for just about any open world game, why not a farming game with exploration and management elements. A life simulator where you are on vacation and can do various activities and go explore the area with the moto the days are yours go do something fun and relaxing something ala the Boku no Natsuyasumi series.

Honestly, anyplace in the world would be nice. Personally I'd like my hometown to be featured. All I'd say is somewhere in Michigan. Maybe near the great lakes. Of course places like Italy, Japan, and New Zealand would be nice, but I feel like Japan is covered for the most part. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Honestly, anyplace in the world would be nice. Personally I'd like my hometown to be featured. All I'd say is somewhere in Michigan. Maybe near the great lakes. Of course places like Italy, Japan, and New Zealand would be nice, but I feel like Japan is covered for the most part. 

Yeah, that's correct on the Japan location. A lot of games have been based on that location. I would say that they have already exhausted the locations to use in Japan now. It's time to try a new thing. 

Africa is too vast that it's got so many cities that can be explored for video games development in an open world setting. I'm not sure if game developers have touch up to 10% of the African continent in developing open world games. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Africa is too vast that it's got so many cities that can be explored for video games development in an open world setting. I'm not sure if game developers have touch up to 10% of the African continent in developing open world games. 

If I'm choosing any city in Africa to be used in developing any games, it would be Cairo in Egypt. There are so many historical events that are tied to Egypt which is represented in their city. It will be good addition to game's set in such location. 

7 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

If I'm choosing any city in Africa to be used in developing any games, it would be Cairo in Egypt. There are so many historical events that are tied to Egypt which is represented in their city. It will be good addition to game's set in such location. 

AC Origins is in Egypt and lots of history. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I've not seen video games made within African territory that is running on console platforms. It will be cool to see popular video games made within African soil. 

There are few games that are set in Africa. You can check out this article HERE and read more on them. Although, none of them are AAA games but they look good. 

9 minutes ago, Heatman said:

There are few games that are set in Africa. You can check out this article HERE and read more on them. Although, none of them are AAA games but they look good. 

I've checked it out, it is exactly as you said. We need AAA games to be developed here in African soil, just as we have GTA series that took the territories of US and CAN. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

AC Origins is in Egypt and lots of history. 

That's very correct and there are few more games that have African setting come up in its gameplay. Games such as ;

1. Far Cry 2

2. Resident Evil 5

3. Sniper Elite 3

4. Tomb Raider : The Last Revelation

5. Serious Sam : The First Encounter

6. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain